Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

gall bladder

I was told yesterday that my gall bladder will be removed during the banding..

WOW, getting a weeee bit nervous.

Has anyone else experienced the banding and gall bladder done at the same time?

How does that effect the recovery time?

I have read several threads about gall bladder problems after banding.

Any information will be greatly appericated.

OFFICAL DATE FOR BANDING

06-28-05

Wecome Debbie, My personal opinion is that you are very lucky to have it done at the same time and not months or weeks after.

I had mine removed May 26th 10 months after getting my band. If it were at all possible back then to just remove it I would have opted to do it at the same time.

Good luck and speedy recovery..:)

My personal opinion is that you are very lucky to have it done at the same time and not months or weeks after. recovery..:)

I agree, having it done at the same time is the best way! I think we have a few bansters that had it done at the same time.

Good luck and welcome to LBT!

thanks everyone for your support....I panicked Friday when the admissions person told me that my gall bladder was going to be removed... that was news to me...i was shocked.

I trust Dr. Sighn...but I was planning on leaving the hospital with all of my body parts...lol

since friday i have discovered that 80% of folks that do not have it removed will have to at some point after bariatric surgery. its because of the high Protein intake and rapid weight loss.

Looking at the positive side... losing the gall bladder i'm ahead of my weight loss goal by atleast a few ounces...

and i have to agree, its better to have it done now than later....

thanks guys

Hello,

I have been wanting the lapband but could not get the insurance for it. I am close to having the money to pay for the surgery myself now and have recently found out that I need to have my gall bladder out. I have heard that this is a riskier surgery and that 1/2 of surgeons refuse to do both at the same time. Did you have any complications as a result of doing both at the same time?

Thanks,

D

I don't think I would allow them to remove anything of mine that is working. You do need your gallbladder it helps the body digest fat, if I remember correctly. I saw a herbalist about a year ago, and she informed me of gallbladder issues and we were able to repair with flaxseed oil and other herbs I dont remember exactly what they were. My 2 secretaries had their gallbladder removed and they run to the bathroom after eveything they eat, and regardless of this they are both still way overweight. Do some research before you allow them to remove your working gallbladder. Just my 2 cents ;-)

Sounds like extra money to me.... like well you are going to break your leg anyways so we will just put a cast on it now...

My surgeon will not do that unless there are sever issues with the persons gallbladder. He said there is to much risk of infection from the bile in the gall bladder and tried to avoid it at all risks, if an infection gets in there then you can get erosion or other problems. I wouldnt get it taken out personally. There are no laws that say you have to have your gall bladder out with the band.

Yes many more women than men have issues with the rapid weight loss and stones, but it was normally done with the By-pass- my understanding. Also many women get gallstones when they are pregnant, but it isnt required to come out to get prego...

Not meaning to sound harsh or sarcastic, just dont quite get the DR's "preventative medicine"

Seems not quite right to me.....

Since the band is a much slower process of losing weight, I would say that the percentage of people who need their gallbladder out after bariatric surgery is HEAVILY weighted toward the bypass patients. Since their weight loss is SO fast and since the mal-absorptive process would say to me that the liver and gall bladder have to work extra hard.

I would talk to your doctor again. Unless he can show you where tests reveal your gallbladder is having problems, I would have HUGE issues with them taking it out "just in case". It is your RIGHT to push back on your doctors to make sure you get the very best care. Your doctor should go in VERY conservative on this.

ITA with Karen. I don't think anything LIKE 80% of bandsters have to have their gall bladders removed later on. It certainly shouldn't be done just as a precaution or timesaver against the possibility that it might have to come out months or years later.

Of course, your doctor may know of some reason why yours has to be removed at this point, and if that's the case there's no reason why it can't be done at the same time if it's appropriate. Lots of people do have a dual procedure, when necessary. But ONLY when necessary.

I wish I had mine done- we are having a few problems with it and my insurance company is saying they don't want to remive it because it is only a problem since I lost the weight- therefore it is acomplication due to the band and they don't want to pay. I am arguing- but at this point I don't even know if I want them to touch me and go near my band which is working great.!

I figure if it gets really bad they will have to take it out or I'll go visit Dr. O.

I was told it was not rapid loss- but the amount I lost in 11 months that caused the problem and the Protein at about 75 grams. Oh well! I am best friends with my heating pad and bed buddy!

PLEASE contact me....because i think i had an attack...it was like someone was stabbing with a knife for 4 hours straight...i wanted to die.......im going for a tests to see if that was the case......i want to know how you feel with the band in there now...and with the gall bladder removed...what was your experience.......thanks

oh, I've had my gall bladder removed. It was several years before my band. I never really had a gall bladder atack, it was more as case wehre the doc was pressing on my tummy and I said "OW!!! STOP DOING THAT!"

i had my gall bladder removed about 8 yrs ago. I have read on here somewhere that getting the lap band can bring on complications. Did u have this problem vinesqueen??

I'm having my band on wed. When I was having my pre-surgery testing

of abdominal ultrasound they found I have gall stones and kidney stones.

Great I thought I was fine until they started poking around now I have

they new issues. Dr. said I will have to remove my gal bladder he will not

do it at the same time as the band too risky for infection. I will now have

to have that surgery six weeks after my band my stomach will look like

the constelation with all the small scars. I was hoping it would get done the

same time dr. said only with bypass it is done at the same time.

Just my luck......