Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Taking meds post-op

Hi, I went in for my consultation this week and as I understood it, I am go off my diabetes medication right after surgery??? Anybody else ever done this?

:rolleyes2:

I took Metformin prior to surgery. Along with several other meds for different conditions. I went to see my GP a week before surgery to find out what could be crushed, or was available in liquids, etc.

She looked at the list and said, "None of these are "life-threatening" if you miss a few days, come in two weeks post-op and lets draw blood."

I never went back on any of them, and my blood work consistently improved. By 6 months out ALL of my lab tests were in the NORMAL range.

I did the math -- we use a 90 day mail order prescription service that costs what 30 days from the local drug store charges. Even with that, prior to surgery we were spending $2100 per year on meds -- plus whatever the insurance was kicking in!!

Now I get to spend all that extra dough on NEW CLOTHES!!!

But most importantly of all. I feel great and am no longer "sickly" and at risk.

Pam and Kareyn:

It's so good to hear that you both were off your diabetic meds so soon after banding. This gives me hope, because I am taking so much medication and the expense is getting worse as the years go on.

I currently take 2000 mg Metformin a day. My pcp sent me to a training with a diabetic nutritionist so I could learn to do a sliding scale in order to do insulin shots for a few days post-op - IF NEEDED. He said I may not need it at all or the pills either after the surgery. So... He seems to think that I may not take anything after the fact. If I DO - then once the insulin shots are done and over, I guess I'll be crushing up Metformin pills.

Don't crush metformin. Tak to your pharmacist because some meds don't work properly if they are crushed. You may need your prescription changed to smaller tablets taken in combination.

Personally, my internist took me off all my blood pressure, cholesterol and diabetes medications starting the day of surgery and I've never had to go back on them. I still go in once every 3 months for an A1c and a quick overall check but even that will probably come to an end in the near future.

good point... I've heard that about Metformin. I really think he expects me to be off meds for diabetes after surgery.

I just had my surgery wednesday and my surgeon told me to stay off all my diabetes meds (metformin, actos, Byetta, and Lantus Insulin). He'd said that since my sugars were staying below 150 and that I was going to be mostly sugar free for a while to leave them be. I hope to never have to go back to them!!!! Also, metformin, again can NOT be crushed. If you do have to take it, make sure that you get the NON extended release. It should be scored so you can cut it in half. Any pill that is scored can be cut. If it isn't, it can't be cut or crushed unless otherwise told so by your doc or pharmacist. Just be careful! :confused:)

Best of luck to you! :confused:)