Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What changes after a fill?

I am scheduled to have my first fil 9/19 (banded 8/06). I have done fine on the mushy foods and now I am aslo doing fine with all foods. I have not had any issues with any of the foods/beverages I have had since being banded and I am careful to eat slower and chew chew chew.

I was wondering if things change after having a fill. For example, is the pace/portion/chewing "routine" that has been working before the fill also going to work after the fill? I know some people can't tolerate certain foods after being banded but I have been lucky enough to not have any issues with everything I have tried. Will foods that I am OK with now also be OK after the fill?

I am going to ask the Dr. when I get my fill but I also wanted to get other people's feedback.

Before my first fill I had absolutely no restriction.

For my first fill, I felt no change.

For my second fill I realized I needed to eat slower and take smaller bites. I couldn't eat quite as much as before.

For my third I really felt a huge difference right away. I had to eat even slower but can still can eat anything as long as I chew well. I eat a lot less.

I had my first fill 1 week ago and i felt like Jodi felt with her 2nd fill.... if i eat too fast.... i feel the food go up and down for like 1 min.... im learning tho! I measure my food and i eat 4 oz's a meal.... i notice im hungry a little less often now...

how far between do you usually have to weight between fills. I'm due to have my first fill on 9/15. I'm really worried that I will end up gaining weight before I find my "sweet spot". I have no restriction right now, (not that I can tell anyways). I eat my 1 1/2 ounces 3 times a day like I was told and between these 3 meals. I feel like I am straving sometimes so I end up cheating, not really bad, just a few bites of something like chicken salad or a few bites of ham.

For me the first fill was at six weeks post-op. I am supposed to go back once a month for the first year but if I need a fill in between I can get one but I have to wait at least a week after my most recent fill. Some people do gain weight until they get a decent fill, you are pretty much working on willpower until then.

The thing with fills is the hole where the food goes through the band gets smaller as the band gets tighter. That is why you must eat slower and take tiny bites and chew very well. Otherwise the food will not go through the band and backs up in the esphagus. Picture an upside down funnel. The neck of the funnel is the esphagus and the band fits right where the neck of the funnel goes into the ball part. So when the band squeezes where the two meet, the hole is smaller.

A lot of people do not lose well or actually gain until their band is tight enough to completely change their eating habits.

Edited by Oregondaisy

Just had my second fill 9/9/08 and feel a slight restriction with solid foods. I believe a third fill will be my "sweet spot" (I pray). Although I am working out 4-5 x's a week and eating proper foods, however, I have fluctuated between 232 - 234 lbs for nearly two weeks (started at 249). I believe it's because of the lack of restriction thus I was eating more than I should.

Hey Angelsma! We are band-date twins! :) I had my surgery in Nashville TN on July 10th. I see we are also close to the same age. My DD goes to school in Ohio, and is headed to Columbus tomorrow to meet a friend and go to the zoo (small world, isn't it??)

Had my second fill today (Sept. 12th). On liquids until Sunday, so I'm not sure how much or how little restriction I have after this second fill. Tummy is growling!!

Mary K.

how far between do you usually have to weight between fills. I'm due to have my first fill on 9/15. I'm really worried that I will end up gaining weight before I find my "sweet spot". I have no restriction right now, (not that I can tell anyways). I eat my 1 1/2 ounces 3 times a day like I was told and between these 3 meals. I feel like I am straving sometimes so I end up cheating, not really bad, just a few bites of something like chicken salad or a few bites of ham.

I eat at least 1/2 cup of Protein and 1/2 cup of veggies. It's definately is more than you are eating of 1 1/2 ounces. No wonder you are hungry. I would be starving. I would recheck on the amount you should be eating.

I found my 2nd fill which put me at 6cc, really showed me what restriction is. It reminds me small bites and eat slower or else.