Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone know how Ann Wilson of rock group HEart is doing?

I saw her on TV and she had lost 60 pds a couple of yrs back. Did a search and can't find anything current. Wondered if she lost more weight or kept of what she lost.

Rene

Guest Denise M

I saw her on TV about a month ago, and I was surprised that it appeared that she had put the weight back on.

i dont think she had surgery did she?i saw her not too long ago on something and she looked heavy then-maybe 6 months ago.

She is the one they used as a spokesperson on Spotlight Health. They used her for the Lap Band and Carnie Wilson for the GBP. They also had her story awhile ago on the Discovery Health Channel. I don't think there have been any updates lately on her progress so I do believe that is a sign she might have gained weight back.

I didn't think see looked all that thin in the special she did for the lapband, but I thought she was in progress and not at goal.

I used to work at Alvarado in San Diego where Dr. Wittgrove did Carne Wilson's surgery. I did all the pre-op ultrasounds on his patients. Does anyone know if she gained it back. Death rate is 1 in 75 to 1 in 200 depending on who, when and where. Pretty scary. Every chance I get, I let people know they have an alternative. Most people have never heard of the lapband.

On the otherhand doesn't Sharon Osbourne look great after her lapband? I think she should have her daughter get one. She is having lots of emotional problems, but the biggest one is her weight.

I saw a photo of Carnie Wilson in last week's People mag and she just had a baby. It was a terrible picture but it showed she has gained quite a bit of weight back (not all), but then again, it is post baby weight so perhaps she'll lose that back soon enough. She JUST barely had her baby.

I was looking for Ann Wilson info just last night (funny this topic came up) and found no updates past March of 2004 where she had lost 50 lbs.

I am with Karen, How bizarre this topice came up!! I was also thinking about the group Heart jsut the other night. Could it be because of that new show Hit me one more time or something like that, where ols rock stars get to sing their hit and then one of todays hits???

I did not know Ann had WLS. I did know Carnie had done it ( who didn't know about that one- televised and all..)

Carnie looked good the las I saw, then she had the baby and did gain quite a bit, I also have not heard how much she stillneeds to loose..

I think it was triggered by me cause on this site I read an old post. The gal was gaining back and that was the last of her post. She never came back. I just was looking for input on old timers (lapbanders) to see if its kept off long term.

Here's a link to Ann's journal on spotlight health...

http://www.spotlighthealth.com/common/ediary/MO/ann/home.aspx

I saw her (Heart) on TV a few months ago, I believe it was a Country Music Awards show and she looked good, but certainly not thin or even thinner. I was dissappointed that it looked as if she had gained her weight back.

A testament to the band, actually. I really love the NO Malabsorption feature of the band. But it does make for some difficult work some days, weeks, months, years? if you aren't careful and don't keep up with fills or have good support.

Good news is, she can jump in where she is and get started back at it. She has not missed a "window of opportunity" for weight loss, unlike Carnie, who has just taught her body how to hold onto enough calories to produce a healthy baby, now how will she lose it? Will her metabolism recover? We'll see, I guess.

Here's a link to Ann's journal on spotlight health...

Yeah, that is what I was looking at but it ends back in March 2004 and no updates since. Wonder what is going on with her lately?

I am a fan of Heart and also followed her on the Spotlight for Health. I checked several times and like reported above -nothing since last year Mar 2004. Very strange --unless she had to have it taken out or something...She had lost 50 lbs and really started to look awesome. She toured last summer as well... I even went on their website for the band a while back and there was nothing on that either about her progress ... Carnie Wilson though...OMG !!! That People picture!!! How the heck can that happen again after Gastric ????Pregnant or not...when I was pregnant last I was told Not to gain more than 15 pounds with the weight I already was and the possibility of getting gestational diabetes. I would think with her history the doc would have really had her be careful....I get sick to my stomach when I think it could come back on after such a drastic measure as the bypass! I really don't know how you can gain unless you are force feeding yourself regardless of the dumping ... I am sorry if I sound ignorant or offend anyone -I am banded and do not know all that much about gastric.

I really don't know how you can gain unless you are force feeding yourself regardless of the dumping ...

Actually, this is one of the reasons I didn't choose the bypass surgery. I went to the support group meeting put on by my doctors and it was for people of all types of procedures. The doctor said that you have about one year with the gastric bypass, and then after that, the stomach relaxes. All the people who had bypass were saying you have to work your Buns off in the first year because it gets MUCH harder to lose or even maintain after that.

For me the band is a better long term solution because even if my pouch relaxes a bit, I can still get fills to get better restriction.

I've heard of a few people who had the gastric bypass now looking into the band for additional restriction.

Ann Wilson was never a particularly compliant bandster from what I was able to read about her, so her results have been pretty mediocre. I believe she didn't keep up with getting fills as they were needed, etc.

Carnie...regain...yes, you can regain with the RNY. The body starts to compensate for what was done. After about 18-24 months, the pouch will become more elastic and so the person can eat more than right after the surgery and the intestines still in use will grow denser villi which increases absorption of calories (ironically, the ability to absorb B12, Iron and Calcium never improve, but they start absorbing more and more of the calories eaten). After rapid loss and massive loss, there's not a whole lot left of the metabolism (few RNY patients really do much in terms of weight training to preserve/increase muscle mass). So add together: being able to eat more, having greater absorption of what is eaten and a slower metabolism and that = regain (or at least a heck of a struggle with maintenance).

The best way I've been able to sum up a primary difference between the RNY and the band is that with the RNY, the most restriction you'll ever have is immediately after surgery, and with the band, the least restriction is right after surgery. You can't tighten up the RNY without a whole new procedure/revision.

Nancy

394/275/180