Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

30 lbs....Should I be happy??

Today I hit the 30 pound mark in my weight loss journey. It has almost been 6 months since my surgery in March. For some reason I feel like I should have lost more by now as compared to others in my same weight range here on the forum. I have to admit that I have not followed all of the band rules and if I would have I probably would have been down more by now. I seem to loose a pound every couple of weeks and the weight loss has slowed down a lot. I am 1/3 of the way to my goal, and I am wondering if I will keep loosing or level off at some point?? I certainly couldn't have come this far without the band, but right now I am not thrilled about the rate of the weight loss so far. :thumbup:

JMO but seems to me like you might want to try "folllowing all of the band rules" for a few weeks and 1. see if it increases your weight loss and 2. if it's worth it to you to change your habits! If you're happy with the status quo, 30 pounds is better than nothing! :thumbup:

Of course you should be happy! It's 30 pounds less than what you had when you started and typically at that 25-30 pound mark is where people really begin to notice you're losing weight, which give us additional motivation to lose more. Keep your Protein up, carbs down and exercise. Don't skip meals and drink you daily amount of Water. You should have no problem with steady weight loss. Congrats on your success. :thumbup:

Today I hit the 30 pound mark in my weight loss journey. It has almost been 6 months since my surgery in March. For some reason I feel like I should have lost more by now as compared to others in my same weight range here on the forum. I have to admit that I have not followed all of the band rules and if I would have I probably would have been down more by now. I seem to loose a pound every couple of weeks and the weight loss has slowed down a lot. I am 1/3 of the way to my goal, and I am wondering if I will keep loosing or level off at some point?? I certainly couldn't have come this far without the band, but right now I am not thrilled about the rate of the weight loss so far. :smile:

omg... iwas at this very moment thinking the same thing

i was banded feb28 08

and have lost the same amount of weight

im happy because i feel i did it the healthy way

by working out and eating less im giving up Cookies and going to lose these last few lbs ...

You definitely should be happy! You lose what you lose at the rate you lose it, I think.

What has become abundantly clear from my own experience, and from a few years of hanging around here, whilst I firmly believe that our weight is our own responsibility and down to our own choices, many of our bodies do not function the way they *should*.

Not that we should believe the old "its my hormones" excuse most of the time. But for example, I'm 5ft 10 and 154lb and I run for an hour a day. All the charts, no matter where I look, say I should be eating at least 2,300 calories a day to maintain my weight. Yet I know I cannot get away with more than about 1800 to maintain this weight. Despite exercising so much. It just doesnt add up, it is patently wrong. But that's how it is.

So there's some truth in the fact that I used to cry that I didnt know why I was fat, I didnt eat any more than most other people. Its true, I didnt. But it was too much for me and that's all that mattered, and it was still MY choices that determined what I weighed.

So it is for you. If you cut down to 1000 calories a day and lose 30 lb in six months, even though the math just doesnt compute, that's simply how it is for you. You can add more strenuous exercise, you can cut back your food intake if you have room to do so, but there's only so much you can do, your body will follow its own plans. Be happy, 30lb is a great weight loss and there'll be more to follow. It doesnt really matter if it happens slow or fast.

yes be happy but try and do the rules! It will help! My doctor would have had a fit.... But slow is better but I think you couls step it up a bit! BUT b happy 30 off is 30 off!

Jacqui: Thanks for offering your point of view...I 100% believe that my body works against me and I have to fight harder than others to loose weight. I could just work harder but sometimes it get overwhelming knowing that I have to do double duty to loose weight. I guess I am just scared that I will not loose much more weight...

you have lost a thrird of the weight you need to drop in 6 months so at this rate in a year and a half you will be at goal, sounds good to me.

I will say if I were you I would fallow the rules much more often.

I guess I am just scared that I will not loose much more weight...

Stick to the rules and you will, also not sure if you are working out my guess in no seeing you did not talk about it, get moving it will help a bunch.

Today I hit the 30 pound mark in my weight loss journey. It has almost been 6 months since my surgery in March. For some reason I feel like I should have lost more by now as compared to others in my same weight range here on the forum. I have to admit that I have not followed all of the band rules and if I would have I probably would have been down more by now. I seem to loose a pound every couple of weeks and the weight loss has slowed down a lot. I am 1/3 of the way to my goal, and I am wondering if I will keep loosing or level off at some point?? I certainly couldn't have come this far without the band, but right now I am not thrilled about the rate of the weight loss so far. :thumbup:

Hazeleyes,

YES YOU SHOULD BE HAPPY... 30 pounds is GREAT. people lose at different rates and you should not compare your self with others.

Our stats are almost identical . :smile: I was banded a day before you.

I have lost 37 today in almost 6 months.

I do follow the band rules completly.

Just follow all the band rules and maybe add some weight training.

Since I started doing some weight training the weight seems to be coming off easier.

you will get there. Just follow the band rules and exersize. Some of us just lose slower then others , just keep in mind that you are still losing so you are doing great...

Hazeleyes,

YES YOU SHOULD BE HAPPY... 30 pounds is GREAT. people lose at different rates and you should not compare your self with others.

Our stats are almost identical . :biggrin: I was banded a day before you.

I have lost 37 today in almost 6 months.

I do follow the band rules completly.

Just follow all the band rules and maybe add some weight training.

Since I started doing some weight training the weight seems to be coming off easier.

you will get there. Just follow the band rules and exersize. Some of us just lose slower then others , just keep in mind that you are still losing so you are doing great...

Thanks Trish...I was banded in Philly! PA Hospital...I wonder if we have the same doctor! I used to do a lot of weight training in my thinner days and it did help...I know I need to start up again. I know that if I would have followed all of the rules I would be under 200 by now.

i was banded june 30th ive lost 16 pounds since being banded but since may ive lost 38 pounds but ive lost 21 1/2 inches total but since my last fill ive lost 6 pounds which was aug 19th is that about right:tt2::rolleyes2:

hey I just wanted you to know that 30lbs is a godd amount of weight and just try to focus on the positive and thats that you lost 30lbs if ya want to try to lose a little more i suggest cutting calories and going to the gym I only eat around 1000 calories a day and I go to the gym and burn around 600 and also try to walk around at work and I was banded in aug the 21st and have lost 14 lbs so far Another thing you might want to consider is maybe your weight loss has pleatued<----not to sure if that is even a word but basically its stopped and you might have to do somethng to get it jump started again ut keep up the good work and focus on the good

Would you have lost 30 lbs in 6 months BEFORE the band??? I'm just sayin' !!!

No I would not have lost 30 pounds on my own without the band...you are right! I don't even think I could have lost 10 pounds on my own! I think I was feeling like I should have done better but I need to give it some time and see where I am on my 1 year anniversary. And actually I got on the scale today and now it's 31 pounds gone!!