Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

lapband not working

Good to hear joiful, keep up with the solid Proteins and watch those carbs and I'll bet you will really start seeing results!

My 5th fill is really working; I don't want to jinx myself, but I think I may have finally found the "sweet spot"! I'm still just eating mushies since I just got my fill on Tuesday and even liquids are going down very slowly.

I am finding food hard to eat. I have little pieces of chicken with long grain rice and grains (Uncle Ben's 90 minute pouch of rice). Almost got stuck. I again ate a McD's cheeseburger but took off the top bun for lunch, that was difficult. I bought chicken in the can and the spinach dip and going to try that for lunch that was suggested. I really needed to go to the store to find things to eat. What do you mostly eat for Breakfast, lunch and dinner.

I worked out on the Eliptical glide for 1 hour and 15 minutes and then we to the Plaza. It is really famous, it has stores all outside and right now they have Christmas lights. It was beautiful but cold. I wanted to go and walk instead of sitting on my butt during the evening like I used to do.

Rice is one of those foods that seems to give a high percentage of banded people a problem. So it's not surprising that you had trouble with it getting stuck. If you try it again, take tiny bites and chew well, and if it STILL gets stuck, you may just have to write it out of your diet in the future.

I eat no-fat, sugar-free yogurt for Breakfast every morning and will sometimes have either an egg or a low-fat string cheese stick with it. Lunches are usually 1/2 cup chicken or tuna salad with crackers, and 1/2 cup of vegetables or fruit. Supper is usually my big meal with my husband. I'll have 3 oz of grilled chicken, grilled hamburger patties, baked fish or some other meat plus 1/2 cup of vegetables. I'm not a person who requires a lot of variety in my meals.

Some things I try to keep on hand are low-fat cheese sticks, light yogurt, refried Beans, eggs, high-Fiber crackers, canned and frozen vegetables, bananas, apples, Peanut Butter, South Beach High Protein Cereal Bars, canned tuna and chicken in Water.

Edited by MistyD65

MistyD65 helped me a lot. Wow, that will help me a lot. I got the chicken in the can yesterday that people are mixing with the spinach dip and crackers, your other suggestions will work too. They are basic and easy. I think when you have an eating disorder like I do then sticking with the same foods is easier. You don't have to mess around trying to figure out what to eat. You know what to eat, thanks.

Okay the latest. I called my doctor and a medical tech called me back. I can't eat hardly anything. She said that it was okay to eat soft foods. From what I know this can cause weight gain cause you start eating your unhealthy foods again because they go down easy. She said that eating chocolate Malto Meal was fine to eat in the morning. Yesterday I ate Chipotle and barely had anything. I did notice though you could only eat a couple Beans at a time or a tiny piece of chicken. Is this normal. That is so small!

Last night I had just shrimp and it came up. So then I wanted the rest of a chocolate sundae that I have had a couple of times. Stopped eating that and forced myself to eat some turkey from a frozen meal. That went down fine.

People who have gastric lose weight so fast. How is that when I see that we talk a lot about not eating enough then not losing any weight or hitting a plateu?

So is my band too tight or I am just not eating the right foods and size. I had some pancakes and an egg on Friday. First time trying that with this fill (#8) and it all came up.

Okay the latest. I called my doctor and a medical tech called me back. I can't eat hardly anything. She said that it was okay to eat soft foods. From what I know this can cause weight gain cause you start eating your unhealthy foods again because they go down easy. She said that eating chocolate Malto Meal was fine to eat in the morning. Yesterday I ate Chipotle and barely had anything. I did notice though you could only eat a couple Beans at a time or a tiny piece of chicken. Is this normal. That is so small!

Last night I had just shrimp and it came up. So then I wanted the rest of a chocolate sundae that I have had a couple of times. Stopped eating that and forced myself to eat some turkey from a frozen meal. That went down fine.

People who have gastric lose weight so fast. How is that when I see that we talk a lot about not eating enough then not losing any weight or hitting a plateu?

So is my band too tight or I am just not eating the right foods and size. I had some pancakes and an egg on Friday. First time trying that with this fill (#8) and it all came up.

I think you might want to look at the types of foods that you are eating. What is working and what is not working.

Beans: They have a skin on them. When I was banded I coud eat refried Beans but not baked, pinto, kidney, etc. If they were blended it was no problem.

Shrimp: A common problem food for banded folks. It just doesn't chew as easily as moist chicken.< /p>

Pancakes: No way could I have eaten pancakes or eggs when I was banded. Those are really hard foods for many.

If the turkey works it's a better choice than ice cream. You are showing yourself that you can indeed get good foods down but it's an easy (and bad) habit to get into a soft food syndrome type diet.

Thanks again for the advice. I have to be more careful about the skins. Had the same problem when eating a roast and I cooked the potatoes with it. thought I could eat them but I was wrong. I than just ate the meat.

Did you have to have your band removed?

My friends is having the sleeve instead of a band. Do you like your sleeve better? How long did it take you to figure out what you could eat with your band? I wished she would have a band instead but that is a choice.

Thanks again for the advice. I have to be more careful about the skins. Had the same problem when eating a roast and I cooked the potatoes with it. thought I could eat them but I was wrong. I than just ate the meat.

Did you have to have your band removed?

My friends is having the sleeve instead of a band. Do you like your sleeve better? How long did it take you to figure out what you could eat with your band? I wished she would have a band instead but that is a choice.

Why would you want her to have a band instead of a sleeve? With a sleeve the weight loss is better, it's faster, the long term risks and complications are less than banding, no fills, unfills, or maintenance. It's kind of a "sew and go" surgery. ;o) Once you are done, you're done. It's a LOT easier than banding, LOTS.

Yep, I had a band and it was a horror, I hated it. I was on liquids for the last 4 months of banding because I couldn't eat anything solid with an unfilled band. I have no food intolerances with a sleeve, I just can't eat much. When I was banded I couldn't eat red meat often, no Pasta, bread, (that wasn't a bad thing but once in awhile it would have been nice to have a piece of toast) no fruits with skins, no Beans with skins, I couldn't eat or drink anything hot or cold. EVERYTHING had to be at room temp including Protein shakes. I actually got used to it and room temp Protein Shakes don't bother me. ;o) I swear I must have had at least a gazillion fills and unfills.

I just hated it. I still have my band, I'm trying to figure out a way to kill it so it cannot spread its evil to others. Heh...

Being sleeved is great, I love it. I'd be fat before I'd get another band. Just too many things that can go wrong. My esophagus is still recovering from my banding experience. I used to sound like a mix between Kermit the frog and a boy in puberty. My voice is finally back to normal but I have to think while swallowing or I choke from the esophageal damage.

Banding is fine for some, but not me.

As I think you know I have been having lots of trouble with my band. 8 fills and I was banded July 4th. Now I can hardly eat anything. Some times I wished I got the sleeve but I heard chances of gainig your weight back is so much more of a possibilty than with the band. That is why I was thinking she would be better off. How long have you had your sleeve?

As I think you know I have been having lots of trouble with my band. 8 fills and I was banded July 4th. Now I can hardly eat anything. Some times I wished I got the sleeve but I heard chances of gainig your weight back is so much more of a possibilty than with the band. That is why I was thinking she would be better off. How long have you had your sleeve?

No, 5 year stats show the sleeve is better for long term weight loss.

I can eat anything, just not much of it. I've had it for several months now. I had to be a lot more careful with weight regain with the band because restriction varied. One day I could eat a whole steak and the next day I couldn't keep my own saliva down. With a sleeve restriction is always good.

TO DAISY MAY: I just read your post when you had gotten the 4th fill and finally felt what everyone was talking about with regards proper restriction. I know that was some time ago but I am wondering how things are going for you still? I had my band 2 years ago and have had 6 or 7 fills I havnt lost any weight in fact i have gained 10 or 15, my fill right now sounds just like what you described in your post, eat a little slower and somewhat less but not really enough to make a big difference. I thought that I was just one of those that it didnt work for but I am going to go in and get another fill after reading your post I think maybe I just dont have enough of a fill even though I have about 8 cc in a 10 cc band. The last fill ( 1year ago) did give me some restriction but I could easily eat 2.5 to 3 cups of food. I think the amount that you had mentioned ( green salad and 1/2 chicken breast) is what I am wanting that sounds like about 1 to 1/2 cups of food. (I am new on this site and I am still not figuring out how to send a post so that the original post that I am responding to sees it, so I hope "DAISY MAY"sees this. Thanks all

As of June I have had close to 20 fills and unfills now the band is too lose. Gaining weight back. Going to drive an hour and a half to see some one else because my other appointment with a new doctor I have to wait 5 months before I can be seen, he is very busy! I just wonder if the band does not work for all people.

JeepGal, I don't agree. I got stuck on foods when the band was empty, just because he gets stuck does not mean that he is at proper restriction.

Agreed. I haven't had a fill yet, and I still end up PBing after about 5oz of food.

As of June I have had close to 20 fills and unfills now the band is too lose. Gaining weight back. Going to drive an hour and a half to see some one else because my other appointment with a new doctor I have to wait 5 months before I can be seen, he is very busy! I just wonder if the band does not work for all people.

I can relate to what feels like a gazillion fills/unfills. It's very frustrating and expensive. :crying:(