Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

lapband not working

Sounds like you are eating around your band. (eating soft foods because they are easy). You should take bites about the size of the fingernail on your index finger and chew well. Use baby utensils if you think it will help. Salads with lean meat are a great choice, canned chili is a great Protein, prepared chicken or fish. I pre-cook chicken, fish etc. so that I have protein for lunch just heat and eat. tuna is another good choice. But Soups are more for the mushies stage. Chicken salad is good too.

Wait...Joiful...you've had the band for 5 months and you've lost 24 lbs? You are getting the exact results you should be getting. They tell us 1 to 2 lbs a week. Are you telling me that if you hadn't had the band you could have lost the weight? I think it's helping you, but you are cheating to much. I never feel FULL. I either decided I've eaten enough or I feel sick because I"ve eaten too much. I think you need to suck it up a little bit and use the band as a tool and not depend on it to do all the work for you. It sounds like you are just cheating and it's pissing you off that you're not losing faster.

Call me a bitch if you want to, but I wouldn't turn my nose up at 25 lbs in 5 months. I couldn't lose anything before my band, so I would be satisfied with the weight loss you have. (it is exactly what they told you it would be.)

Sure you have had 8 fills, but why are you counting??? It doesn't matter in the least. If you think you can eat too much get another fill. I've had countless fills and unfills. It's part of the game.

This whole band is like a big game and you have ot figure out what works for you. It's different for everyone.

Anyway, I think you are doing fantastic, it sounds like you're just frustrated...which I'm not sure why. This band isn't an easy button, it just makes weight loss possible.

Best of luck.

Edited by JeepGal

Jeepgal thanks for your comments. I have never weighed 208 until the summer so I think when you start off at your highest it comes off easier if you back off some of your habits a little. I took off 8 lbs. before my band. Then about 5 more after. So I have lost what about 10lbs. in the last 4 months. I was eating icecream twice a day before the band. The surgery made a change in my routine so that has stopped. I just had spinal surgery taking out two discs and putting in cadaver bones and metal plating. That is how I lost the rest. The band was not working before or they wouldn't have taken out the saline and put in the sticky stuff. That has been used for 2 fills. Yes, I am not perfect on eating but I want to live like a normal person and eat a sweet once a week. You forgot to mention that i also work out sometimes up to an hour and that helps with weight loss. Are you saying you never lost any weight before your band? One of the stipulations of getting a band you had to have tried to lose weight before. Most of can do that but keeping it off is a different story. I had a friend who had her band two days before me and she has lost double what I have. She was about the same weight too. Thanks for wanting to help but you have to have all the info before jumping to conclusion.

First and foremost, people have to *want* to lose weight in order to lose weight. The band has helped, but it doesn't keep me from being hungry 100% of the time. Most of it is up to me. Tracking calories takes time and commitment. Weighing and measuring food all the time takes a lot of dedication. Using the band as a *tool* for weight loss does take practice, but the person has to be dedicated.

Joiful, I can understand that you want to have a sweet once per week. I also enjoy a "treat" every now and again. But maybe it's this idea of loving the treat more than yourself. Enjoying 1/2 cup of ice cream is not that big of a deal, once in a while.

Taking control of food and not letting food control us is the true battle here. We all contend with this *constantly* everyday, don't we?

I don't count calories and keep a diary or weigh my food...that was stuff I did preband and it didn't work for me. I do follow the band rules eat the right foods, only eat three meals a day and eat them the proper way. I am rarely truly hungry with the band. When I am, it is usually time for a fill.

If you are eating solid Proteins and following the bandster rules but you find that are eating more, hungry between meals (I mean truly hungry-not head hunger)and not losing weight then the band is not doing what it is intended to do.

In joiful's case I would say that her true hunger is coming from eating soft foods and from not watching her Protein intake.

Her head hunger could be from too many carbs or it could be emotional...of course the band does not help in that area.

She seems to be able to distiguish between the two. I know in my experience when the band it doing its part to control the real hunger it is much easier for me to do my part and deal with the head hunger.

Jodi I think you are right that I was eating soft foods. This is what I had yesterday. McD's Cheeseburger and Wendys small chili (starving didn't eat until 2:15) then I worked out 45 min. on eliptical and I had some prunes and for dinner tried to eat a chic breast with broc. and small baked pot. I threw up. I think I am eating to big of bites it is hard to remember that. Since I have had my band for five months and now it is finally working I have to figure it all out just like it was new. I am so glad you have offered great ideas and solutions!

I see lots of people eating Soups on here and also Protein shakes. Aren't those considered slidder foods?

My doctor does not allow shakes as a meal and he says I need to avoid Soups and other soft foods. Eating this stuff defeats the purpose of the band.

Try hard not to skip meals or wait until you are too hungry...I get stuck every time I do that because I am so hungry I eat too fast. I mentioned it once already but if necessary use a baby spoon until you get accustomed to eating properly. Broccoli does not work for me, the fibers in the stem get stuck big time! chicken breast can be difficult if cooked too dry. If it is not juicy then cutting it up and adding a little broth to make it wet might help and CHEW-CHEW-CHEW!

And I am sure you know but I have to say, McDonalds cheesburger...not a good choice! 330 Calories, 14G Fat 790MG sodium and 36G carbs. Not much at McDonalds is very healthy so you don't want to go there very often.

Joi,<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

<o:p></o:p>

You are right. I have no idea of your situation. I was just commenting on what you had posted. I know from my own personal struggles there is NO way possible to not be losing if you are doing exactly what your doctor tells you and you are using your band correctly. <o:p></o:p>

<o:p> </o:p>

I didn’t have to lose any weight to have my surgery. Thank the lord, because I had been trying really hard for 6 months to lose weight before I was banded.<o:p></o:p>

I guess, I'm just tired of people on this site complain because their band isn't working, when it seems that they aren't working their band. Even with the band doing its job, losing weight is a STRUGGLE. People act like just because the weight isn't falling off from them, it's a failure. It bothers me a lot. I guess I feel it cheapens the work I have done to lose my weight. I don’t attempt to eat as much as you tried to eat yesterday and I’m running 3-5 miles a day. Even when I was young, I could not eat more than 1000 calories or I would gain weight. I love my band and with out it I would not be at the weight I am today. The best part of it is I know that I can keep it off this time, all because of the band. <o:p></o:p>

It’s great that you have some restriction now. I wouldn't dare THINK about eating a cheeseburger. LoL It would try and kill me!<o:p></o:p>

It seems I was just taking my posting frustrations out on you. <o:p></o:p>

<o:p> </o:p>

I really hope you can figure your band out.<o:p></o:p>

Thanks jeepgal that was really sweet.

I am trying to figure this band out. I ate the cheeseburger cause I heard it was a good option from Eat This Not That. I was wrong. It had a lot more calories than I thought. I am just so confused on what to eat. So it is difficult for most to eat this cheeseburger? I wonder if the broc made me sick it was the only thing that came out.

Gosh ladies you are helping me so much!! Yes, I do have an eating disorder and this is very difficult. I have lost weight many times in my life. One time I took of 70 lbs after having my daughter and kept if off for 5 years. I wieghed myself every day and worked out 6 days a week. Now for the last 10 years have stuggled took pills lost it and then damaged my heart cause of the pills. This is a huge task I wish I had you guys with me to help me figure out what to eat. I heard there was a cook book to buy. I think I will go get that today. 2 years ago I went off all sugar even sweetners, molasses, maltodextrin and all the chemical sweetners they sneak into foods. I did this for 9 months. I have an addiction and it is hard to figure out what to do now. I have not been as strict in my diet because the band was not working and was regretting getting the band instead of bypass. I am not that heavy but I was headed down a terrible path. I am changing. Instead of staying in bed all the time I make myself get out of the bed and do something even if I am in pain.

Thanks again!:cursing:

I can eat a hamburger patty but:

1.) I make my own out of the leanest beef

2.) I eat it without the bun

3.) It takes a lot more work to get it down so much so that I don't want it often. Most beef takes more work, you have to take small bites and chew it for a long time.

The best way to get rid of the sugar addiction is to watch your carbs. Everytime you eat carbs your blood sugar levels spike suddenly then drop suddenly, when it drops you crave more sugar and the cycle starts again. Get the white carbs out of your diet, white flour, sugar, Pasta, potato, rice. Get your carbs from whole grains, fresh fruits and always eat it with a Protein to help keep level blood sugars. Get sugar free treats for when you have a sweet tooth. It takes about 5-7 days of avoidance to get the stuff out of your system then the cravings get much easier to handle.

Joi, you have the right attitude to make this work.:scared2: A wonderful meal idea I picked up here is chicken and tuna salad made with Tostitos Spinach Dip. Just mix canned tuna or chicken with the dip. I use about 3 tablespoons of the dip with 1 big can or 2 regular sized cans, and add some Splenda-sweetened pickle relish. It has much less fat than making it with mayo. I usually have 1/2 cup of the salad with some high Fiber crackers, and some fruit. It is my lunch most days, and I find myself craving it! You could also probably eat it with some salad greens.

If you will make it a point to eat Protein first, I think it will really help you. I went on a sandwich kick a couple of weeks ago, and even though I was using a high fiber/low calorie bread I could still feel the effects of the higher carb count. It made me want more, and I got hungry faster too. And smaller bites with lots of chewing are a MUST! You may find that there are some things that you just can't eat, no matter how much you chew them - eggs, bread, fibrous veggies seem to be common culprits. But for the most part, small bites and chewing well will allow you to eat many things.

You can do it!!:cursing:

You are right. I need to stop the crappy carbs. Didn't Oprah do that? Is that when she lost all that weight and really looked good? I will start tonight already had some of the crappy carbs. Not going to do this ever again. That lunch sounds very easy and good. I am going to start doing that. What about if you drained the Soup? Is that food too soft? Then is fish too soft. I hate fish but i have eaten it several times since I got my band. Never have before. It is time I learn. Thank you!

Strained chicken noodle Soup is typically just a tiny amount of mushy chicken and lots of Pasta which is not what you want. Fish has a ton of Protein and fills me up pretty well. Salmon filets, salmon patties, tuna, shrimp and cod are good choices.

Joiful, if you can't eat solid food, then you are probably too tight. My understanding is that the band isn't going to make you feel full like you felt before being banded, it just stops the gnawing hunger. However, if you eat carbs or anything that turns into sugar once ingested, it will kick in cravings which mimic hunger. Why don't you try measuring food and eat only 4-6 oz at a sitting and then if you get hungry again, eat another 4-6 oz a couple of hours later. Drink plenty of Water. Avoid Soups, because those go right through the band and are usually high in calories.

Last night I got full after about 5 or 6 bites so the band is working! I am really sure now it was from soft foods cause it was too difficult to eat. I don't think I am too tight I don't have any of the signs like acid reflux, nausea and such.