Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

lapband not working

Many of us have gone through the same thing and have become very frustrated. Everyone is different. Some people will have great restriction with 1 or 2 fills, others have no restriction until they have 4 or 5 fills.

As for me, things in my life got turned upside down lately with my job and financial situation. I was due for my 4th fill and the dr. called to cancel...I have not been able to get my appointment re-scheduled to this date. This really discouraged me and for the last couple of weeks I've completely stopped following the Lap Band rules. I have not been making proper food choices, I've been drinking to wash food down so I could eat more, and I have not exercised! Well, I'm paying for it now because not only did my weight loss come to a screeching halt, but I even gained a few lbs! My own fault completely! No one to blame here but myself.

With that being said, I am determined to get back on the "band wagon" and start eating right and exercising. With or without a 4th fill, I must make the right choices. Hopefully, you will too. :sad_smile:

I havent posted here in a long time, so here is whats going on. I had a 14cc ap band put in on march 11th. sence then i have gaind 33lbs. I do not nor have i ever had restriction. i have had 3 fills a total on 6ml or cc. the last one was yesterday it was 1cc. I can eat as much now as i could befor sugery with the exception of bread (it maked me pb) my doc really dosent seem to belive me about not haveing restriction. I know im not eating all the right foods but if I had restriction i should still be loosing. she said she wants me to loose 20lbs befor i have another fill. I thing that might be hard to do if i dont have restriction to began with. the only thing is it takes me a little longer to eat (takes 10-15mins to eat 5lbs of food instead on 5 mins)..... well just though some one might have some uplifting words for me... tommy

My lap band ceased to work and I regained almost all of the weight I lost. My doctor did x-ray ( barium meal) to see how much the puch could hold and then did a gastroscopy and found that the band was empty of Fluid despite numerous fills. It turned out that the tubing between the access port and the actual Lap Band was leaking - no wonder I gained weight. The surgeon replaced tubing and access port and I have now lost 10kgs in 2 weeks. Dont blame yourself there must be a logical reason for this problem.

I have had 8 fills yes 8 fills and my band is still not working. I had all the fill removed and they put in thicker stuff for the fill. The do this all under xray. The only difference with number 8 is sometimes food gets stuck. Once I get past that I can eat a good amount of food. And yes I know what you mean by they don't believe you. I have brought my husband in just so there is some one that offers some proof. I got my band on July 4th and I have lost 23 lbs and that is totally on my own. I was never ever this heavy in my life at 44 so I think that weight was easier to lose even though it was difficult. I bought an elipitcal glide that I use and some times I am on it an hour. Tonight I want sweets already had some and I am forcing myself not to eat them cause I certainly have had plenty with the Thanksgiving weekend. Find a doctor who will help you and don't stop. I do like where I go but it is requiring tons of patience!

Joiful, I hate to sound like a nag or a negative person, but if food is getting stuck in the band, then it's working ... Emotional eating isn't just a made-up thing ... It's real, and it sounds like you might be having quite a bit of that going on.

i dont understand that food has to be stuck to be working. I havent really ever got food stuck cept once chicken nugget went down kinda rough. Right now there is no food I have found that gets me stuck. yet I can only eat about 4 oz at a meal to get full, and cept the last two weeks which have slowed down, I have been losin weight pretty consistently. I can eat bread, which i do rarely, but when i do it goes down fine. Some people would tell me Im not at proper restriction but I cant fathom eating less than I am now. Only reason i want another fill is to jumpstart my weight loss again. Maybe im the rare case who is restricted but doesnt get stuck. who knows.. anyway. I see both sides here I really do. Tom, hang in there, Is there a fill center by you? You obviously have done a great job losing 79 pounds. Fantastic. U definatly need a fill, Yes we need to learn to work the band I agree and I think measuring portions is great and a wonderful tool. None of us are in your exact shoes and obviously you dont like the fact u can eat so much and you want restriction. I really think u need a fill. If you are not restricted at all, that makes it tough and IM sorry your doc is not giving u a fill. This is your band that is in your body, and I feel if you need a fill, that is your choice not your surgeons. I would definatly try to eat more fresh foods even if that means cooking on the weekends and freezing and storing. Protien first as you already know. ( ps i eat black pinto Beans i love them ) they break down more slowly since they are complex unlike empty cards. I feel for u Tom, and obviously u want things to change and I hope you get your fill soon and gl with everything.

Joiful, I hate to sound like a nag or a negative person, but if food is getting stuck in the band, then it's working ... Emotional eating isn't just a made-up thing ... It's real, and it sounds like you might be having quite a bit of that going on.

Not necessarily. Right after banding before I had any fills I could get stuck fairly easily but I did not have enough restriction to lose weight.

I agree that there is some head hunger there (craving sweets) but if this was simply head hunger then she might be able to eat between meals cheat with sweets and graze all day but if the band is working the way it should then she shouldn't be able to sit down and comfortably eat a large amount of food in one sitting.

Just from reading some of these threads and others and my own experiences with the band there are many inconsistencies. Some people are stuck rather easily some hardly ever. Some never get restriction even at the fullest amount and some like me even without any saline in the band could never eat bread and still food would get stuck.

I agree Nanook...as a matter of fact there are inconsistencies within an individual. My restriction level and food tolerances can change from day-to-day.

thank you for giving me some help. My insurance dropped me so if I get another fill it will be $250. I have lots of other medical bills so I am unable to do this. I am going to email them and ask if they can help on this because I have had 8 fills and I feel that is a ridiculous amount to have. I do have head hunger that is correct. I am aware of it and Friday night I started to eat a piece of cheesecake and another dessert. I stopped and threw it away. I am able to control it to a point but this week end it was difficult and the band was not giving me the fullness after eating. If this is bandester hell I think five months is long enough to try to get this right! I haven't gained any weight I have lost 24 lbs. and now I have been excersing on an eliptical sometimes up to an hour. I just want this thing to work since I have paid a lot of money for it!

joiful,

you do know that the band doesn't stop most of the sweets and junk food. That was a big problem for me because I was always way too tight even with no saline but to compensate for lack of food because the Protein and veg wasn't going down I would eat the unhealthy stuff that would. Wish you luck in getting what you need and at a cheaper price, Nancy.:thumbup:

Yes, I know about the sweets and junk food thanks for trying with pointer. I love the help! I am eating a lot of Soups. I went for a grilled chicken sandwhich and couldn't eat that. Today had a PB&J with that Peanut Butter with Omega 3 and sugar free jelly. I had some Soup with it too. Didn't eat the crust, too hard to, and ate some soup. I was starving by 4. I am watching what I eat most of the time. I am down the 24 lbs. so I am trying. Tonight grilled chicken, last nigh baked chicken, tried thin crust pizza Friday night- that didn't work. When it comes to healthy food it is heard to figure out what to eat. Any one got a great cook book or ideas?

I wish I could help with ideas but as my band was always too tight I suffered myself. I believe somewhere here is a recipe section though.

Joiful, from that small example you gave, it sounds like you are eating too much Soup and perhaps to many carbs.

My surgeon said to avoid sliders like soup, shakes, applesauce etc. Sliders go through the band fairly quickly and so it doesn't keep you full. Try a solid Protein like chicken or fish with some fiberous veggies. You may have to work at chewing and getting it down but you'll find that you will fill up faster and you'll stay full longer.

Try eating less carbs to keep the head hunger at bay. When you add the carbs in the bread, the Peanut Butter and the jelly it is a little higher than I would want. Plus if you are having a potato, Pasta or cream based soup with that you are in carb overload. That will spike your blood sugar levels and get the cravings for sweets and breads going.

You don't really need special recipes just make good food choices. For lunch and dinner have a lean solid Protein a serving of veggies and then if needed a little fruit. Have eggs or oatmeal for Breakfast with a little fruit. Eat only whole grain bread but avoid having it too often, watch your starches like potato, Pasta, corn and rice. And avoid sugar.

Edited by Jodi_620

Those foods are so hard to eat. I am eating chicken noodle Soup not any cream based Soups. I will think of something to eat today that is a solid Protein. I think my bites maybe too big they are smaller than a regular size bite. How small of a bite do you eat so the foods don't get stuck? It is hard eating solid Proteins for lunch cause wouldn't you have to cook at chicken breast? I am going to look on here for food choices and see what there is. What about salads with chicken on them? It is so hard to think of foods to eat. Thanks for helping I know I am eating to much carbs after reading this. I should start a book with references and when it is not going right I can refer to that.