Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Can I lift my 26lb toddler after surgery??

It just occurred to me that if I ended up getting banded I have a toddler that needs picked up now and then... she isn't extremely big on being held but I will need to lift her into and out of the crib... in the evening at bedtime DH could do it but in the am and before and after naps I'd have to. She can crawl up into her own booster seat so that helps, and if she wants in my lap when I'm sitting in the living room she will climb up there... but there are still times like nap, oh and diaper changes, where I'd need to lift her...

My doctor said nothing over 10 pounds. It puts too much strain on the stomach muscles that were cut during surgery to lift more than that. Maybe you could do her diaper changes on the couch for a short while and she could nap in your bed?

How long do you have those restrictions??

I could drop the side to her crib and have DH leave a kitchen chair in there, she could probably crawl out onto that. Diapers could be done on the floor or couch like you said.

I could see if my mom/MIL/SIL could come over too until I could be fully functional again.

How long do you have those restrictions??

I could drop the side to her crib and have DH leave a kitchen chair in there, she could probably crawl out onto that. Diapers could be done on the floor or couch like you said.

I could see if my mom/MIL/SL could come over too until I could be fully functional again.

Definitely ask your surgeon. I was told nothing over 15 lbs for 4 weeks!

:thumbup:

I have a 2 year old that's bordering 30lbs. I have a 10lb lifting restriction for 6 weeks! We're managing and it's working out okay. Baths are hard only because they wear me out. We'd taken the side of her crib off (yes, it's stable) MONTHS ago, when I realized that the side of the crib, in the upright position, was just above her belly button and not at her nipple line like it should've been! She's tall!

Anyway, we have a cedar chest at the end of our bed (bed is high) and she can climb up on that to get on our bed so that's where I change her diaper (move the pad to the bed to prevent messes) and her clothes. She helps by planting her feet and lifting her butt for the diaper switches. It's a great game and she's helping mama!! LOL!! She also used to like to fall asleep on me for bed time, but we now go to her bed first, like a "big girl" and she goes off to sleep there. Naptimes, she usually just falls asleep on the couch or the floor.

We started practicing a couple of weeks before surgery. Changing on the bed, lifting her butt, can't jump on mama, mama can't pick her up right now, head to the couch for a snuggle, etc. It really helped. Oh and at first, the floor is going to be near impossible because you have to get down there but then you have to get back UP again!!

The night of surgery she had a huge meltdown but it was understandable. There'd been A LOT going on and she just knew things were different and didn't like it and didn't understand a lot of it. She and I are also very close and she knew I was hurting and not feeling good, sleeping a lot, etc. Grandma was here but mama and papa were gone when she got up in the AM, gone ALL day and when we came home, mama wasn't "right" so it's no wonder. She'd also gotten overtired and we just had a marathon crying jag that lasted a couple of hours. We finally got her to sleep. She's been fine since then. Just be aware that it can happen and make plans for it.

Just think of all the different things that you might need to lift her for and try to make different arrangements.

Oh! Don't forget about the car! You won't be able to lift her in and out. I usually drive a lifted, 4x4, full-size Chevy truck. DD can climb in if we stand behind her and just make sure she doesn't slip BUT it's hard for me to get in and out right now and if she slipped, I'd have to catch her and I can't do that right now. We decided that I should drive DH's little '87 Camry. DD can climb in and out with no problems AND we put the carseat that's easier for her to get in and out of by herself in there so I don't have to adjust her at all once she's in the seat. All I have to do is buckle and unbuckle her.

Just remember that 10lbs isn't a lot. Shopping is going to be near impossible to do on your own for awhile. No lifting your toddler in and out of the cart. No carrying bags of groceries. A gallon of milk is about 10lbs! If you have a large stroller, no lifting it in and out of the back of the car. Laundry is another thing you're going to have to work around. You can't carry a basketful of clothes. Once it's at the machines, you can manage but no carrying the basket. No vacuumng the house. My vaccuum is very heavy and I can't push and pull it around. It's hot so we close the windows in the AM and open them in the PM when it cools enough. I can't do that, it takes your core muscles to help move those windows (granted we have huge windows and they are hard to slide open and closed on a good day!). Just taking a big dish or casserole in and out of the oven is going to be more than your lifting limit. It's amazing how much things weigh. You have to be very careful.

I am blessed in that my mom was here for the first week to help while DH had to work, he then came home for vacation for 10 days, my mom is coming back down this afternoon to stay the week because DH goes back to work tomorrow til Thursday (he's a fireman and works a 72 hr shift). By the time DH goes back to work the following Monday, I'll be starting my 4th week after surgery and should be fine on my own with DD. I'll be more healed so if I really MUST pick her up or lift something, it shouldn't be too bad as long as I'm careful.

I'm sorry this is so long. I'm just trying to think of all the things that you may need to make accommodations for. If you can get some help in the house on a daily basis, that would help a lot. Take all you can get!

If you have any questions, let me know. I'm 2 weeks out from surgery, starting my 3rd week tomorrow. Take care!

I think it might be time for a toddler bed!! My doctor said nothing over 15 lbs! And believe me, if I try to move some piece of furniture or lift something I can FEEL it!

heartfire, thanks so much for the detailed reply. that really helps. Today I took the girls to church and I can get the toddler to crawl out of the car but she can't get in her seat. I'll have to try it in DH's car... I think his is smaller. I guess one good thing is I won't spend much money! :)

We talked about getting a mattress for the floor and starting the toddler out on that so maybe we should go ahead and try it.

heartfire, thanks so much for the detailed reply. that really helps. Today I took the girls to church and I can get the toddler to crawl out of the car but she can't get in her seat. I'll have to try it in DH's car... I think his is smaller. I guess one good thing is I won't spend much money! :)

We talked about getting a mattress for the floor and starting the toddler out on that so maybe we should go ahead and try it.

Ugh! I'm glad you were okay with the novel I wrote! I am one who likes as much detailed info as possible so that's how I tend to respond to people if I have info to impart. I also just talk too much! Even in cyberspace!!

I'd just toss the crib mattress on the floor and go from there. Would the crib be stable enough if you just took the one side off? We weren't sure about ours b/c it's not a convertible crib, just a standard one and it's been fine. She was barely 18 months old when we had to take the side off. I stuff a swim noodle (trimmed to fit) under her bottom sheet to use as a "bed rail" to keep her from falling off. She'll still go over every great once in awhile but that's usually b/c she's pretty restless and just goes up and over. I actually keep a pillow on the floor next to her bed! The mattress is at the lowest setting so he's not that far off the floor but the pillow makes me feel better! She never wakes up, she just gets comfy!

One of our carseats looks like a booster so it has low sides and is easy for DD to climb into and get settled. The other one, looks more like the traditional carseat even though it goes to 65 lbs! That one she can climb into as well but she never gets settled right and I have to adjust her, which I can't do right now. So the booster type is in the car.

You'll figure it all out. Just make a list of things you need done before surgery and as you do things, think about what it would take to do it after surgery and see if it's feasible or if you need to come up with a plan.

My Dr. says no more than 20 lbs.

It just occurred to me that if I ended up getting banded I have a toddler that needs picked up now and then... she isn't extremely big on being held but I will need to lift her into and out of the crib... in the evening at bedtime DH could do it but in the am and before and after naps I'd have to. She can crawl up into her own booster seat so that helps, and if she wants in my lap when I'm sitting in the living room she will climb up there... but there are still times like nap, oh and diaper changes, where I'd need to lift her...

My restriction was no more than 20 pounds for 6 weeks. I picked my 6 year old once (44 pounds) without thinking when she got hurt and I felt it for a few days.

Hello, I am in the process of getting banded. I have a 15 month old and a 5 year old. I am trying to reach out to someone that is a mom. I have a few questions...?

I'm a mom, but that of a 16 year old. I'm not sure how much I can help, but I certainly will try.

Hello, I am in the process of getting banded. I have a 15 month old and a 5 year old. I am trying to reach out to someone that is a mom. I have a few questions...?

my doctor said 20 pounds and I have a 5 year old I didn't lift her for almost 2 weeks but I lifted her yesterday without any trouble she's 37 pounds so I think it will probably depend on your healing and recovery and what your surgeon says

I have a 5 and 7 year old if there is something I can help you with pm me!

I own a family child care and I have 6 children under the age of three! I am being banded October 17th. Unfortunately, I can not afford to take 6 weeks off, I am hoping that i will be able to figure out something!