Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

No eating on Rosh Hashana and Sukkos

I am doing the surgery IYH on Oct 6 which is btwn Rosh Hashana and Yom Kipper. I am going to be on the liquid diet for Rosh Hashana and Sukkos I am going to be post op and again on the liquid diet. I hope that I can hold myself back from eating anything I shouldn't and can't eat. I am not too worried about Yom Kipper since i will just drink as much as I can before the fast. What does everyone else think?????

Well, I'm not Jewish, but I do know that, through the God of both Jews and Christians, we can gain strength.

So when if you are tempted, give it over to God. (I will say that in the week after surgery, you probably won't be too tempted anyway, but have faith).

Beyond that, I will just ask His blessing for you.

I had surgery right before Tisha B'Av, last summer. That was one of my best fasts ever. Yom Kippur last year was amazing. I think that learning to eat less carbs and more Protein was a great factor in helping me fast. Also I now am very diligent in my drinking, which also helped.

I am sure that you will be fine and get through the day well.

Shana Tova

Tova:smile:

I am doing the surgery IYH on Oct 6 which is btwn Rosh Hashana and Yom Kipper. I am going to be on the liquid diet for Rosh Hashana and Sukkos I am going to be post op and again on the liquid diet. I hope that I can hold myself back from eating anything I shouldn't and can't eat. I am not too worried about Yom Kipper since i will just drink as much as I can before the fast. What does everyone else think?????

Shalom Sim,

First of all, good luck with your surgery. Having the operation during the Yamim HaNoraim has got to bring you a lot of luck- what better way to show that you are ready to earnestly repent for your sins involving food! Yashar Kochecha!

As far as "holding yourself back" is concerned: I found that I wasn't hungry immediately after the surgery, and when my hunger did return, it was nowhere near the type of hunger I had always lived with for years before. Stick to the diet the doctor gives you - that's really important. Your compliance early on lays the ground for future success with the band. If you have urges to binge, look at your scars and ask yourself whether you really want to continue to abuse food after the step you have taken. And remember the part in the Viddui about the sins we have comitted with food and drink.

G'mar Chatimah Tova,

Hi!

I hope your banding went well. How are you doing so far?

I should think you could start to eat Soup right now & there are lots of Kosher & yummy options out there for you. I practically lived on the squash Soup after I was banded in August (just after tisha b'av). YK this year was pretty easy, but I did have to sip Water a few times on doctors' orders. My rabbi said I should listen to them and only sip when I felt it really necessary for my health.

I'm so glad to find this forum. I don't know anyone personally who will admit to having a lap band who is also Jewish where I live in suburban Philly.

Happy and healthy new year to you all! Put up my sukkah yesterday afternoon all but the s'chach. That goes up tomorrow (I have an old canvas pre-fab sukkah, thankfully).

Gemar!

Hi, Amy and everyone else

I think we really need a for Orthodox Jews forum where all of us who will talk about being banded can support each other. Although, to be fair, I try to keep my "bandster identity" confidential outside of web support.

In terms of fasting and the band, I find that fast days are SO much easier since being banded.

I do tend to do most of my PB'ing on Yom Tov when I try to eat things like Challah. sigh. you'd think the classical conditioning would work, but not totally yet.

If anyone out there is Orthodox and needs advice on things like Kosher Protein Drinks, Vitamins, managing a halachic lifestyle when banded, I've been living it for 5 months and did a TON of research pre-surgery, and would be glad to share what I've learned.

rdk

I would love to talk to othr Orthodox bandsters. I had surgery over a year ago.

by the way, being Orthodox helps woth not eating bread or challoh - DONT WASH - it really helped me over Rosh Hashana and Succos. I used to love Challoh and honey!!!

Tova

So exciting to talk to another frum bandster lady:tongue2:

I definitely also had to avoid challah and honey this year (which was hard cuz I love it)

My Rav paskened that I'm not fulfilling my chiyuv on shabbos if I don't wash. So I eat WW matzah which isn't my favorite food. but it does go down easy.

My problem is my MD only does fill on Mondays and Fridays, and it's a real hassle for me to not be at work on Monday mornings. BUT, my Rav says no fill on Friday cuz then I can't eat challah - my MD says Clear Liquids for 3 days after a fill.

How do you handle Shabbos mornings? I am usually pretty tight in the morning, so most days I drink a Protein Shake for Breakfast. But shabbos morning, the first time I get a chance to eat is at the meal -and I end up getting stuck. Any ideas for me? I don't want to drink a Protein shake at the meal because I haven't told anyone about the surgery except my dh.

So, what's your verdict? Are you happy that you're banded? I'm only banded 3 months but I'm thrilled.

rdk

Tova - nice to "meet" you. You are exactly one year ahead of me - I was banded 7/1/08

75 lbs - wow! If I lost 75 lbs, I would weigh 140 - that's a weight I haven't been on since before my oldest daughter was born. Meanwhile, I'm just dreaming of seeing the 170's.

Rdk

Hi, Amy and everyone else

I think we really need a for Orthodox Jews forum where all of us who will talk about being banded can support each other. Although, to be fair, I try to keep my "bandster identity" confidential outside of web support.

In terms of fasting and the band, I find that fast days are SO much easier since being banded.

I do tend to do most of my PB'ing on Yom Tov when I try to eat things like Challah. sigh. you'd think the classical conditioning would work, but not totally yet.

If anyone out there is Orthodox and needs advice on things like kosher Protein drinks, Vitamins, managing a halachic lifestyle when banded, I've been living it for 5 months and did a TON of research pre-surgery, and would be glad to share what I've learned.

rdk

Thanks for replying, RDK and all the rest.

I'm not Orthodox, but I do keep glatt kosher (I'm not shomer). I also did a huge amount of research before I was banded to find good tasting kosher certified Protein powder and Vitamins. As RDK says, they are clearly available, but not in many of the sites that the bariatric centers guide patients to. Also, there are places to purchase these things online where they will send you samples much of the time. That is how I knew I would be able to enjoy my Protein "shakes." My sister, who had gastric bypass, has found that there aren't any protein powders she can take, but I want her to try mine. I can't drink milk or use soy products. I found a kosher certified powder that is whey protein but lactose free, and I use rice milk with it. (chocolate - Yummy!)

I did ok during the HH this year. I get my fills on Thursdays, and only passed on challah once (I don't consult a Rabbi on this, sorry). I'm pretty good at liquifying challah in my mouth, even on the second day after a fill. Growing up my Orthodox rabbi, who was very well known, always told us that if you couldn't fulfill a mitzvah or law because of a health issue, that your health came first. I take that to heart.

I consulted with my doctors about fasting on YK, and they asked me to stay hydrated. I didn't have to have my protein or vitamins for the day. I only sipped Water two or three times during the entire day and only when I felt I was truly dehydrated. This year I was in bed with a heavy head cold and fever during YK, so that probably helped.

Has anyone started to think about what to do during Pesach? I know I can go a couple days without the protein, but don't yet know whether I will be able to eat enough to get sufficient protein for the full eight days. Now THAT is a concern for me. I can live without a Vitamin or Calcium supplement for a week, but am not yet sure about the protein. I may be anticipating a problem that doesn't exist, but it is something I'm thinking about now, well ahead of time so that I can plan what to do. Especially because I follow Ashkenazi tradition for foods I can eat.

I'm really enjoying this process overall. I hope everyone has a wonderful Shabbat and a successful outcome with your bands.

B'shalom,

//Also, there are places to purchase these things online where they will send you samples much of the time. That is how I knew I would be able to enjoy my Protein "shakes." My sister, who had gastric bypass, has found that there aren't any protein powders she can take, but I want her to try mine. I can't drink milk or use soy products. I found a kosher certified powder that is whey protein but lactose free, and I use rice milk with it. (Chocolate - Yummy!)//

Amy - can you share that kosher certified powder with us? I'd love to try it. My Myoplex is good but I am always looking to try new ones.

//I did ok during the HH this year. I get my fills on Thursdays, and only passed on challah once (I don't consult a Rabbi on this, sorry). I'm pretty good at liquifying challah in my mouth, even on the second day after a fill. Growing up my Orthodox rabbi, who was very well known, always told us that if you couldn't fulfill a mitzvah or law because of a health issue, that your health came first. I take that to heart.//

I find there is a lot of variability in what Rabbis will say. I guess it depends on your own personal stats. My friend and I were banded within 3 months of each other, and we each consult a rabbi, and we get very different responses. I think that my friend who has a lot more weight to lose than me, and is also pre-diabetic with PCOS is considered more of a health risk, whereas I am very healthy and fit, just FAT. so I tend to be told not to do things that she is told to do. Staying hydrated on YK is one example.

//Has anyone started to think about what to do during Pesach? I know I can go a couple days without the protein, but don't yet know whether I will be able to eat enough to get sufficient protein for the full eight days. Now THAT is a concern for me. I can live without a Vitamin or Calcium supplement for a week, but am not yet sure about the protein. I may be anticipating a problem that doesn't exist, but it is something I'm thinking about now, well ahead of time //

this is a real concern. I know a friend of mine uses Dr. Ren and she says that in NYU before Pesach a lot of ppl come in for an unfill.

My strategy - and I don't know if it will work is - I am planning on cooking a lot of meat and chicken and pureeing it, to be sure I will get in enough protein. I probably will be low, but it will be OK for a week. I DO NOT PLAN ON GETTING AN UNFILL. for one, I'm private pay and that's pricey, and for two, my friend gained 10 lbs over Passover last year and I work WAY TOO HARD to lose each pound to do that.

In terms of Vitamins, I believe Maxi Health makes a Kosher for Passover liquid vitamin, but it tastes NASTY. I probably will use it though. I am going to ask my Rabbi about 4 cups of wine. I find that since being banded my tolerance for alcohol has dropped, and I may just stick to grape juice if he says that's OK. Check out the maxi health site - they may have stuff and call their 800 number - I find their nutritionists to be very helpful and knowledgable.

According to my scale, I'm down another pound, but I don't "count" it unless it shows on a Tuesday. So I weigh 183.4 unofficially today! I'm so excited. I'm hoping I won't ruin it this Shabbos with the birthday cake my kids will "surprise" me with this Shabbos.

Rdk

Edited by rdk211
forgot to add one more thing

//Also, there are places to purchase these things online where they will send you samples much of the time. That is how I knew I would be able to enjoy my Protein "shakes." My sister, who had gastric bypass, has found that there aren't any Protein powders she can take, but I want her to try mine. I can't drink milk or use soy products. I found a kosher certified powder that is whey protein but lactose free, and I use rice milk with it. (chocolate - Yummy!)//

Amy - can you share that kosher certified powder with us? I'd love to try it. My Myoplex is good but I am always looking to try new ones.

//I did ok during the HH this year. I get my fills on Thursdays, and only passed on challah once (I don't consult a Rabbi on this, sorry). I'm pretty good at liquifying challah in my mouth, even on the second day after a fill. Growing up my Orthodox rabbi, who was very well known, always told us that if you couldn't fulfill a mitzvah or law because of a health issue, that your health came first. I take that to heart.//

I find there is a lot of variability in what Rabbis will say. I guess it depends on your own personal stats. My friend and I were banded within 3 months of each other, and we each consult a rabbi, and we get very different responses. I think that my friend who has a lot more weight to lose than me, and is also pre-diabetic with PCOS is considered more of a health risk, whereas I am very healthy and fit, just FAT. so I tend to be told not to do things that she is told to do. Staying hydrated on YK is one example.

//Has anyone started to think about what to do during Pesach? I know I can go a couple days without the protein, but don't yet know whether I will be able to eat enough to get sufficient protein for the full eight days. Now THAT is a concern for me. I can live without a Vitamin or Calcium supplement for a week, but am not yet sure about the protein. I may be anticipating a problem that doesn't exist, but it is something I'm thinking about now, well ahead of time //

this is a real concern. I know a friend of mine uses Dr. Ren and she says that in NYU before Pesach a lot of ppl come in for an unfill.

My strategy - and I don't know if it will work is - I am planning on cooking a lot of meat and chicken and pureeing it, to be sure I will get in enough protein. I probably will be low, but it will be OK for a week. I DO NOT PLAN ON GETTING AN UNFILL. for one, I'm private pay and that's pricey, and for two, my friend gained 10 lbs over Passover last year and I work WAY TOO HARD to lose each pound to do that.

In terms of Vitamins, I believe Maxi Health makes a Kosher for Passover liquid Vitamin, but it tastes NASTY. I probably will use it though. I am going to ask my Rabbi about 4 cups of wine. I find that since being banded my tolerance for alcohol has dropped, and I may just stick to grape juice if he says that's OK. Check out the maxi health site - they may have stuff and call their 800 number - I find their nutritionists to be very helpful and knowledgable.

According to my scale, I'm down another pound, but I don't "count" it unless it shows on a Tuesday. So I weigh 183.4 unofficially today! I'm so excited. I'm hoping I won't ruin it this Shabbos with the birthday cake my kids will "surprise" me with this Shabbos.

Rdk

K, here's what I use:

Integrated brand Whey Protein Isolate powder. OU-D. No lactose, no sucralose, no aspartame, no added casein, no acesulfame K, no artificial flavors, no inferior whey protein concentrate, no artifical sweeteners.

I started getting it from Koshervitamins.com. They have sample packs for just under $6.00 for three flavors (they choose them randomly, but never seemed to have the flavorless available as a sample). It isn't cheap, that's for sure, and I run through 2+ 2 lb. containers a month (I have two "shakes" a day of 30-40 mg. protein/two scoops in each with about 5-8 ounces of rice milk and about six ice cubes - blend and yummo!).

I found that Koshervitamins.com is great, but found the same powder for about $5.00 less at a place called bodybuilding.com. It is a hoot to buy from them because they are all into muscle building and sent me a magazine sample one time, but they carry all the flavors of the kosher protein.

Once you find what works for you in powders and Vitamins, you can search online for other distributors and see if you can find a less expensive one.

Good luck! And RDK, good for you for losing another pound. We are almost the same weight now! I am 184.6, but had my fill yesterday and expect I'll lose a few over the weekend, because I'm still pretty restricted.

I love your idea of pureeing chicken and meat for Pesach. That might just be my solution. I did that in the beginning and have some left for this fill as well. I also pureed Soup veggies. I put them into ice cube trays and freeze them and then put the cubes into ziploc bags for easy access and easy to take along (like for the HH or Thanksgiving). Until this fill I was able to eat dark meat poultry and some red meat if it was moist. It will be interesting to see if I can eat the turkey I will be making for my extended family in a few weeks, LOL.

Shabbat Shalom!

As far as Protein drinks - I usually keep Cholov Yisroel, but our Rav said that for this I dont have to keep Cholov Yisroel, so I drink slim-fast chocolate every morning, and sometimes have for a snack Protein Bars.

On Shabbos and Yom Tov I drink a shiur of grape juice instead of Challoh, approved by my Rav. This has definitely helped me alot. Besides my husband and children no one knows that I had surgery and I do host alot. They just think that it is one of my "meshugasim"!!!

I dont want to think about Pesach - I had a very hard time last year. the hand matzo were impossible to digest - my husband mentioned it recently what should we do this year, but I really dont want to discuss it yet!!!

Its great meeting frum people who have the same questions as me - this is the best thing that has happened to me!!!

TOVA:thumbup:

Amy - thanks tons. I will google this immediately after shabbos. I really could use another Protein Powder.

Thanks for the props - I'm so excited. Now if only my dissertation was proceeding as well as my weight loss. sigh. Can't have everything.

I plan on taking a long walk with DH tonight cuz it's so early.

As far as Protein drinks - I usually keep Cholov Yisroel, but our Rav said that for this I dont have to keep Cholov Yisroel, so I drink slim-fast chocolate every morning, and sometimes have for a snack protein bars.// Tova, my Rabbi said the same thing. I wasn't cholov yisroel before marriage, so that an adjustment. Now, I can have slimfast and myoplex. If you haven't, try Myoplex. I think it tastes better than slimfast and is less caloric. My Target, GNC, VitaShop, and Walmart all carry it.

On Shabbos and Yom Tov I drink a shiur of grape juice instead of Challoh, approved by my Rav. This has definitely helped me alot. Besides my husband and children no one knows that I had surgery and I do host alot. They just think that it is one of my "meshugasim"!!!// we also host a lot and ppl think I'm weird when I don't eat the gefilte fish but go straight to the Soup. I just say I dislike fish (and sometimes sneak my portion after the soup in the kitchen. :frown:

I dont want to think about Pesach - I had a very hard time last year. the hand matzo were impossible to digest - my husband mentioned it recently what should we do this year, but I really dont want to discuss it yet!!!

//Did you do a "prophylactic unfill"? A lot of the Orthodox ladies who use Dr. Ren in NYU do that before Pesach, but I still think it's a mistake.I think a very thin, burnt Matzah would go down ok. Dh bakes his own so I'll ask him to make sure they burn some. If not, I'll ask a rav but maybe I'll rely on the machine shmura. I had some this year that was left over and it went down fine.

However, I do not plan to be eating out for either Seder - Just in case - My MIL would never understand my decision to be banded, so it's best she doesn't find out. :cool2: If I suffer this year, I will rethink next year. I'm just DREAMING of buying a new suit for Pesach this year - something pastel instead of my usual "slimming black." I'm just so excited - I am finally a size 18 which means I can shop in a "normal store." By pesach I hope to be even less but I'm not setting my heart on a particular size. //

Its great meeting frum people who have the same questions as me - this is the best thing that has happened to me!!!

TOVA:thumbup:

// I totally agree! I've been looking for frum bandster support forever! Have a great Shabbos!:thumbs_up:

Rdk