Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Port Discomfort

Yesterday, I started to notice a bit of cramping and instantly became worried due to the issues I've been having with this pregnancy. I called my husband at work and told him. He's the rational one, I'm the overly emotional one. He asked me where the pain was coming from. I told him it was the upper part of my stomach. (He reminded me that the day I had some problems, the pain was in my lower stomach. Thank God, he is so sensible or I'd have panicked for sure)

Well, we realized that since my tummy has expanded a bit and I'm still wearing the same clothes, my port is being irritated. It's being pushed by my growing tummy and the waist band of my jeans. I put on a pair of elastic waist yoga pants and instantly started feeling some relief. I'm gonna wear yoga pants for a few days and see if I feel any better.

Anyone else feel any discomfort from the port? My husband was thinking that the surgeon may have to either move it or put in a low profile port at some point if the situation gets worse.

You think they'd move your port while you're pregnant? I would think that's extremely risky to the baby.

My port is between my breasts, so no input here..

---Just noticed a pizza HUT advertisement on this thread..wtf.

Yeah, probably not. Maybe change it to a low profile? I don't know. Rignt now, I feel fine in yoga pants. I'll stay away from the jeans for a while.

pizza Hut!!! Now that's just not right!! LOL!

I was banded on July 2nd and have been having discomfort at the port site for about a month now. Whenever I try to do anything streneous such as lifting, twisting, etc. it hurts. My doctor looked at it and pushed around, he was concerned that it was infected. The large incision area isn't red or showing any signs of infection so he just said that he must have placed it a little high and possible rubbing on my rib. He didn't tell me if he could go in and move it or what else to do for it except wait to see when I lose some weight if it will move down some.

I am 14 weeks pregnant and just started having some pain at my port site. My surgery was a year ago July! What happed with your port pain, was it better when you stopped wearing jeans? What did your doctor do? It would figure this would happen on the Friday of a holiday weekend.. . . Thanks for any help!!

I am 14 weeks pregnant and just started having some pain at my port site. My surgery was a year ago July! What happed with your port pain, was it better when you stopped wearing jeans? What did your doctor do? It would figure this would happen on the Friday of a holiday weekend.. . . Thanks for any help!!

Funny you should ask about this today. At our support group meeting last week, the doctor was there taking questions and I asked him if being pregnant would cause the port to move up and rub on the rib? He said that shouldn't be a problem. But I think it makes since that it would cause it to push against your rib as I even noticed that it did that again when I gained a little weight back. ??? Who knows!

It never made a difference with mine if I wore jeans or not, however, I always wore stretchy jeans with elastic waist. The only thing that helped me was taking pain meds for about 3 months until I lost enough weight around my midriff that caused the port to move down enough to stop rubbing my rib.

After all that, I had to have a port revision yesterday because there was a hole in the tubing. I had been getting fills for the last 6 months and it would only last for about a week each time. When dr replaced the port, he moved it down a couple of inches and over to the middle more.

The original port was also sewn in at an angle so he sewed it straight this time so it won't be so hard to fill. I hope it works this time. I'm ready to get back to losing.

Good luck and let us know what your doctor says about your port.

I just noticed this thread after i posted the following in a new thread:

Hello All!

I'm currently 23 weeks pregnant and have been having port discomfort for a couple weeks now. I'm fairly certain it has everything to do w/ my musculature changing, but I was curious if anyone else was experiencing this.

I've often had port discomfort even before becoming pregnant whenever I introduced new strenuous activity into my life. I'm pretty sure that Pregnancy is definately a strenuous activity for the body!

My port is located just under my right breast a little off center. I've had 2 follow-up care doctors aside from my Surgeon that have commented on the odd placement of my port - so, again, i fully believe that the port discomfort i feel stems from the location and how active that area of the body is.

I'm not at all worried about the discomfort as it goes away with rest - but i'm curious if you feel this too.

thanks!

I see this thread was created well over a year ago. Can anyone give me an update? How did things go w/ your port discomfort?