Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Kaiser SUCKS!

:tt2: Why do we have to wait for over 6 months to get this lap band. Especially if our BMI's are over 40 ??? This really makes no sense. You would think that since we are morbidly obese, that we would be rushed through the process so that we can start losing the weight. I mean they make it so hard on people who are truly trying to better their situation. Think about it, we will be more of a financial liability to them if they keep us FAT!! With diabetes, Hypertension, Cancer ect ... in the long run it will be alot cheaper to help us lose this massive amount of weight!! Don't you think?? It's just so frustrating !!!

I want to be healthy and thin !!!!!!:smile2:

I'm sorry that you feel that way. I to am going to be banded at kaiser. And to be honest with you I think that they have a better Program than so that i have heard of. They want people to know how serious this is, and also to see how serious they are about losing weight. Everything that they have us go through is for or own good. Just the info alone is great, there are some people who have had the surgery and don't know half the info that kaiser gives out. I think that it is a great program, so just give it a little time and see how things go. Don't get me wrong I thought the same at first.

Take Care

Latrice

I have Kaiser and I started the process with my PCP in February and got banded August 25th. It actually went a lot faster than I at first expected.

I thought I was going to have to go through the program here, then get transferred to one of the Bay Area programs but then they got a new surgeon here. Going to the Bay Area I was hoping to get banded late spring of '09. When the new surgeon came, I thought it might be late '08 or very early '09 and was thrilled with that. Late July they called me and wanted me to have surgery the next week. I couldn't swing it with my DH's job and our 2 year old so I had to put it off a month. It all worked out great in the end.

I think Kaiser has a very comprehensive program. I had a BMI of close to 42 and was already on a diuretic to control my BP. It was but barely. I'd also noticed some things were starting to happen more. Asthma acting up more often, back aching, foot problems, etc. I am glad that I had to go through their program. It made me research and really LOOK at myself and decide whether this was going to really work for me and whether I was really going to MAKE this work for me. By the time I got to surgery, with God's help, I was not nervous AT ALL about surgery. I went in with a great attitude and came out with one as well. All of my nurses commented on how much they loved my attitude and what a pleasure it was being my nurse that day.

Take it as a blessing that you have so much time to prepare for life after surgery with a band. Do your research, go to your classes, make the program work for you! It will ALL be so worth it in the end. I'm a week and a 1/2 out from surgery and I feel good. I'm healing nicely and am eager to start my new life! I'm also eager to get to full liquids, purees and very soft foods this weekend too! LOL!!

Can I ask which program you are going through? I went through the Fresno program. I also know of Fremont, Richmond and S. San Fransisco for Nor. Cal but I don't know about any of the ones for So. Cal. Or are you even IN California! LOL!

And I do totally understand your frustration. Especially if you made the determination that this IS for SURE what you want to do. I got that way for a bit. I'd decided that this was what I wanted and darn it! I wanted it NOW!! I am glad I had to wait. I learned more for it.

Take care and keep us up to date on your progress!

Thank you all for your comments. I haven't even started yet, I have my PCP appt on 09/10/08 for a referral. My BMI is about 46. Another member of this forum is starting the nutrition classes for October, and was referred in late August. YES, I am in So. Cal. It's very frustrating as, I am in the very begining of this adventure. I have researched it for over a year. I am petrified of having to be put out (anasthesia), and maybe that is why I want to get it over with. It's just frustrating when you read that most people only have to wait about 3 months with other insurances. But hearing you all be so patient, might help my nerves and anxiety. I am so scared that they will find something that prevents me from getting the band. :tongue2:

Do any of you know why they have to put us to sleep and not just give us and epidural or spinal block?? I would think that would be safer since that is what they did to me when I had my 2 C-sections ... I know I'm getting off the track with a new topic, but I have sooooo many questions and concerns ... :mellow: ...

ANYWAY .. again thank you all for the encouragement.

Ok...fine .... I guess Kaiser dosent suck .... that much:tongue_smilie:

The silver lining, I should point out.. your insurance is paying for it.

Some of us have forked out nearly 20k for our band. I would have waited 6 months if it meant I didn't have to pay for it :tongue2:)

Well I dont even know if it covers it. I have Kaiser through my work, and sometimes they dont cover WLS ... I dont know ... I am just going to go crazy until 09/10 when I see my PCP ... but thanks everyone!!

Trompuda - Call patient services or the bariactric department and ask them if they cover it. You can also go to your HR and get a copy of your insurance coverage. These two steps will not only give you something to do but will answer it completely.

To my knowledge unless you have something drastically wrong (which you should know) they don't stop you from WLS. I do know that if they find things like the high ferritin reading they found with me, that they will investigate it prior to continuing. I'm glad they do this because they want us to succeed.

It takes so long to get through the program because as mentioned above they want to make sure you're educated and physically capible of going through it. Also, they are so bombarded with people like us wanting WLS and they only have a few surgeons doing it. Lastly, this surgery is viewed as elective.

Good luck with your journey.

This is my story so far...it's a compilation of other posts I have put up but I just wanted some new opinions, suggestions, ideas...ANYTHING!!!

So I have Kaiser So Cal and I met with my PCP last week. It did not go very well. My doctor said that I don't qualify for the referral at all. She said even if I did Kaiser requires like 50 weeks of a weight management class (only offered in Panorama City or South Bay) and if you miss one then you are out of the program. It is pretty apparent to me that I need to switch insurances or pay for this out of pocket. I ONLY weighed in at 252lbs and that wasn't FAT ENOUGH...are you kidding me? It made me sick...

She gave me all these suggestions like...try overeaters anonymous, food addicts classes, exercise more/eat less. All that bs that I've already tried. She also offered some basic weight management classes that Kaiser offers but again I would have to go to those other locations. I'm so confused, I don't know where to go next. I don't know if I should switch insurances and see if I'm covered or if I should just look into self pay...grrrrrrr

I am so sick of Kaiser's s***. I am 5'8'' and my BMI is 38.8. The saddest part is that if I were to gain 20 more pounds I would qualify for the surgery. I HAVE TO GET FATTER TO GET SKINNIER!!! Isn't that unfathomable? I have decided that I am going to switch insurances for sure and then from there see if Aetna will cover with no co-morbidities or I will take out a loan and self pay. I am so frustrated with all the if's and maybe's and we'll see's...I want a definitive answer and I am being so impatient!!! I know I shouldn't be like that but it is so hard when everything I have done has just made me hit walls. It sucks...

Unfortunately, that's how all insurances work I believe. I can't remember anyone saying they had a BMI under 40, and no comorbidies, and was covered.

It's a generic standard... 40 BMI +.. or 35 BMI + 2 or more comorbidies.

My Kaiser experience is a little different. I was banded in Mexico in Dec. 2006 while I was living in the Pacific Northwest. My initial fill management was done by a nurse practitioner in the area who was affiliated with the surgeon.

In June 2007 I moved to the SF Bay Area and sought out a surgeon to do fill management for me. I found a GREAT surgeon -- Dr. Husted -- who went into private practice about the time I got Kaiser insurance at my job, so I sought fill management from Kaiser and to my surprise they were willing to see me (not many US docs are keen on Mexico patients).

By the time I saw the doc I was 14 months post-op and had lost about 40 lbs, but was beginning to regain, and I had never had a satisfactory fill (that lasted more than 10-12 days). I questioned whether my band was leaking. The doc's treatment plan was to have me keep a food diary and talk to the dietician. It's all in my head, he said. What I probably needed was education and Portion Control Really. If that worked, Jenny Craig or Weight Watchers would have been the answer 20 years ago.

At a followup appointment, I had my obligatory counselling session with a young woman who clearly has never had a weight problem in her life, and who told me it's all in my head. I just need to practice portion control. The doc told me that 20% of all band surgeries fail and clearly viewed me as a "failure" on a number of levels. He did seem appropriately concerned however when he checked my fill level after adding a small amount and didn't get the same amount back. Gee, maybe there is a leak.

I should also mention that this surgeon -- Dr. Im -- has the WORST technique for accessing my band which left me so physically exhausted after that appointment that I literally fell into bed and couldn't get up for 14 hours (and it takes a LOT to take the wind out of my sails). I remember thinking this must be what I felt like post-op except that they give you pain meds to mask the discomfort. So I have been reluctant to pursue another followup with this surgeon.

Has anyone else had a better experience with another surgeon at Richmond?

At this point I'd almost rather pay the $350/visit for my non-Kaiser doc.