Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I need advice bad!!!

Hi Everyone,

My name is Missy and I was banded one year ago. I found out I was pregnant about 6 weeks ago and i had my band unfilled. I am about 9 weeks pregnant and for the last three days I have had some pretty bad chest pain in my left side. Under my breast, my ribcage, above my heart and even up into my shoulder and my back. It is worst when I take a deep breath. Like a sharp stab. Do you think this could be heartburn? I have never been pregnant and I am fearful the band may cause me additional problems. This pain reminds me a little of the nerve pain I had in my shoulder after surgery. Also, I have had some soda this week to ease my nausea. I thought it would be okay since my band is empty. Maybe that is causing this? Anyone who may have experienced this, or similar chest pain, do you have any advice? Please?

Hi Missy,

The pain you're having is so similar to what I had when I was pregnant, except it radiated from my right side. Everything else sounds the same though. I turned out to be my gall bladder, and I had to have it removed, after I had my baby.

I hope you're feeling better soon, and you're able to determine for certain what's causing your pain.

You should call your doctor if you haven't already.

I had a similar pain in my side for the last two of my three pregnancies. They told me I had a bruised liver, thought maybe it was gall bladder related, but neither of those were true. It was just this mysterious pain that subsided a little when I pressed on the spot. It went away immediately upon delivering my babies. That's why there's no way it was my liver being bruised, it would still have been bruised afterward until it healed.

It's probably not the same thing since you said yours is above your heart and in your shoulder, etc.

Let us know what happens.

It sounds really strange. I would definitely call your doctore. Once you are unfilled, I wouldn't think you should have that kind of pain related to banding.