Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lap band - don't do it!! Scarred for life

I don't want to sound like I hate the Lap Band, because I don't. In fact, I love it! I haven't had any major problems other than the hairloss. I haven't lost a lot of weight, but what I have lost, I know I couldn't have lost it without the band. I can just really sympathize with those that have had problems, because I agree that people with problems are ran off and blamed when in fact it usually isn't their fault they are having problems. I can also sympathize because I agree that doctors and other healthcare providers don't always tell the truth about what can go wrong.

Melolo, may I ask what type of hair treatment you had?

I understand and there's a good side and a bad side to everything. I do sympathize. I just don't want someone to read a thread title "Lap band-don't do it!! Scarred for life... I would've have had more respected for her if she would have put a thread saying "Learn the pros and cons of the Lap band before you have surgery...here's my story. Like I said in my first post I have a problem with the title.

I did a treatment that you can get from Sally's called Aphogee it has a system. I did the two step treatment. You can even get it in a sample. If you're interested I will go to the website and write down everything I did. It gives you instant results because it has Protein so you have to be careful and follow the instructions. But if you want I don't mind sharing the info. That's what this is all about.

So apparently only you can post opinions? My opinion is you come off as very disrespectful.

WOW! Bless your heart. Whatever rocks your boat. I'm so through with you. When you want to have a discussion put something worth reading because you're trying to call me out...IS NOT WORKING. PEACE

Edited by Melolo

I'm one for accountability. I've fallen off the band-wagon and had to get back on myself. I know when I do wrong (no I don't want to admit it). I learn and move on. I'm judging no one and hope no one judges me for my past actions. No one person is the same.

Some people lose their hair, some people don't. Some people lose weight consistantly and have no problems, others don't (I fall into the latter). I know my band didn't come with a "Dr. Spok - Do this and you'll lose 100 pounds in six months." Being banded is not textbook - what is good for one person man not be for another. A lot of it is learn as you go. We can educate ourselves 80% from our doctors/reading and trying to learn from others - 20% simply you have to do for yourself. Those percentages are just my opinion.

I take Vitamins (have from day one), I also have gotten in my Protein on most days and have tried to do everything my doctors have told me to do. Most days I follow the guidelines he laid out for me - I eat right, exercise; I'm a good bandster. There are others that I'm not - I am after all human. Saying that I lost my hair for four months post op. Taking more vitamins would have done nothing to help me - it was my body's reaction to complete diet change and major surgery - i.e. trama. I know others that have not had Hair loss. Like I said before we are all different.

Please let's not try to judge one another - we should be here to support one another and find answers to questions we may have. We need to respect each other's opinions and not make this I'm wrong and your right.

BRAVO! YOU HIT IT RIGHT ON THE HEAD! SUPPORT IS GOOD!:)

WOW! Bless your heart. Whatever rocks your boat. I'm so through with you. When you want to have a discussion put something worth reading because you trying to call me out...IS NOT WORKING. PEACE

It appears you don't know how to have a discussion and were, in fact, raised with no manners. PEACE. :)

It appears you don't know how to have a discussion and were, in fact, raised with no manners. PEACE. :)

LOL... How funny. Well you have a nice day too.:thumbup: That's all I have for ya!!!

Edited by Melolo

And on that note, can we please return to debating/attacking the idea and not the person?

Thank you.

And on that note, can we please return to debating/attacking the idea and not the person?

Thank you.

Bravo! I agree :)

I don't want to sound like I hate the Lap Band, because I don't. In fact, I love it! I haven't had any major problems other than the hairloss. I haven't lost a lot of weight, but what I have lost, I know I couldn't have lost it without the band. I can just really sympathize with those that have had problems, because I agree that people with problems are ran off and blamed when in fact it usually isn't their fault they are having problems. I can also sympathize because I agree that doctors and other healthcare providers don't always tell the truth about what can go wrong.

Melolo, may I ask what type of hair treatment you had?

Hey Carrie_C

I don't want you to think I was attacking you personally. I don't know what you're doing in trying to find a solution to your Hair loss. I hope you don't give up without trying to find a solution. Even if it's not supplements or Vitamins. It can be as simple as changing your Shampoo or conditioner. Even if you try massaging your scalp at night to increase the blood flow to your scalp... Or it may not be that simple. Just don't give up in trying to find a solution to your problem. :)

I still think anything goes when you're in a forum room like "Life After Lap-Band Removal". People should be able to express their problems without newcomers freaking out because they don't want to hear anything negative about the band. If I had heard more information I may not have been banded in the first place and would have avoided a whole year of frustration and grief! It's not the right solution for everyone and sometimes difficult to know if it will or won't work for you, Nancy

I still think anything goes when you're in a forum room like "Life After Lap-Band Removal". People should be able to express their problems without newcomers freaking out because they don't want to hear anything negative about the band. If I had heard more information I may not have been banded in the first place and would have avoided a whole year of frustration and grief! It's not the right solution for everyone and sometimes difficult to know if it will or won't work for you, Nancy

Well.....I agree and I don't agree, Nanook. The Forum is "Life after Lap-Band Removal", and so everybody here should realize that this section is not going to be chock full of people happy with the band. People that haven't had success with the band, or hate the band, or whatever, should be able to find support here.

On the other hand, if you read the original post, I think you'll see that it contains misleading facts and is poorly written in a combative style. The poster, LAPBANDFREE, joined in September and has a total of 12 posts. Personally, I'm a little suspicious....smells a little like a troll to me.

Whether it was her intent or not, the OP surely stirred up the pot, didn't she? Got a lot of LBT'ers bickering with each other...

Edited by plain

Hi,

I'm a (as you put it) a newcomer or newbie which I still don't understand why it makes a difference...because I am living with the band as I type this post. I don't believe I was freaking out (if your comment was directed at me) I believe that the people who have had problems with their bands were the one getting defensive when asked why didn't they take more of an agressive aproach to solving whatever problems that they experienced. Like I said before my postings were directed at LAPBANDFREE but for some reason people took it upon themselves to make the comments a personal attack on them. I look at this as a learning experience because I should have pay a attention to the warning when someone referred to LAPBANDFREE as a possible troll in the ealier post. LESSON LEARNED.

I welcome both the pros and cons on any subject in fact if you read my post I said that people should make sure that they get ALL OF THE FACTS not just the good happy la la la side. Educate yourself when it comes to your health. Maybe some of these people that had the bad experience just wanted to hear the good and didn't seek to hear the cons of this procedure and maybe they feel bad about it and want to blame someone else for where they drop the ball. But please understand this I make sure that I don't get caught in all the hype without knowing every expect of a procedure. Even going into surgery and being put under is a great risk.

Maybe it's because I've had to deal with an illness twice that could've taken my life. I had to learn at an early age how to take more of an aggressive aproach when comes to my health. I make sure that I have all of my questions and concerns answered when I make the decision to go through with a procedure or treatment... I also make it my priority to see it through and do whatever it takes on my part to make it work. Doctors are not perfect. That's why I don't leave it all to them to get me well or reach my goal in getting healthy. I did this to myself. I'm responsible. So why should I not be just as responsible in making sure that the solution I've chosen works for me. I picked the Lap Band and I'm going to do everything in my power to make it work. If dosen't you better believe me I will not post some thing like "Lap Band-don't do it!! Scarred for life." Because it may work for someone else if it dosen't work for me. So why not give that person a chance to explore everything about it instead of scarring the HECK out of them. Tell them about your experience and then encourage them to seek more knowledge about the Lap Band.

I'm sorry if it came off as if I don't want anything negative said about the Band. Heck my last name isn't Band and they're not giving me commission to represent. I'm just here to encourage fellow Lapbanders to be accountable, responsible, aggressive or however you want to word it when it comes to their Lapband journey. Peace!:redface:

SHOUT OUT TO ALL THE BREAST CANCER SUVIVORS !

Edited by Melolo

But you still sound as if you're assuming they did not do all the things you say they should have. I would bet they did.

Even with all the information in the world, it does NOT guarantee that somebody somewhere will not experience something bad. You seem to continue to place the blame on the patient for not doing all their homework than the fact that they may be a small percentile who had things go wrong through problems not of their own making. :redface:

What Dr. did your lap band surgery?

Ive almost 6 months in and still having problems that other people dont seem to have.

But you still sound as if you're assuming they did not do all the things you say they should have. I would bet they did.

Even with all the information in the world, it does NOT guarantee that somebody somewhere will not experience something bad. You seem to continue to place the blame on the patient for not doing all their homework than the fact that they may be a small percentile who had things go wrong through problems not of their own making. :redface:

Ok...I'm going to respond to you even though you attacked me personally by calling me out on how I was raised and all that crap. If you've read my post I didn't say they didn't try their best to do that... I asked questions just like you've asked. I do have a problem with people laying blame somewhere else. It's time for us to stop being a victim... LapBandFree said that she was miserable for 3 years. Why??? I still ask the question after three years what did she finally do to get herself out of that situation:blink: What finally got her to say enough is enough. Then I'll like to ask her could she had done whatever it is that she did sooner than wait for three years.:w00t: Please tell me since you're so ready to bring me down as the villian where did I say that no one would have a bad experience:huh2: Please point out to me where did I say that no one will have a bad experience. What I said and what I will continue to say is that you should be more aggresive, accountable and responsible when it comes to your health. If you have to knock down office doors to get medical attention then "Dang it" that's what you should do. It's your body. You got to say enough is enough. I'm through. Peace to you. I don't know if you've been banded. But I hope you go into this with you eyes wide open and ready to do your part to make it work for you. And please don't take my last statement as a dig towards anyone else. This is to the person I'm responding to.