Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Why am I still holding on to those clothes?

This weekend I finally bagged up my 26's and 28's and gave them to a friend. The question is, why do I still have my 22's and 24's when I'm a 20 now? I will still wear the 22's though they are baggy, but certainly have no need for the 24's. I just can't seem to let those bigger clothes go. I'm not sure if it's because in the back of my mind I feel like one day I'll need them again. Sometimes I miss being a 28.. it was safer for me. The funny thing is, as I was bagging them up I realized how moo moo they were. They just don't make attractive big people clothes. I dressed like I was 80 years old, because that's all there was unless I went to Lane Bryant and spent 50 bucks on a new shirt. No thanks. I wish I could start a larger sized clothing line, only it would be cool stuff and it wouldn't cost a dang fortune.

You know what else is weird? My body is shrinking different than it was before. THe last time I was this weight I was a 22. Now my rear is getting smaller and I'm a 20. That is so odd to me.

I can relate. This weekend I spent one morning putting on every single item of clothing and making a 'keep or donate' decision. I too got rid of quite a number of articles (2 green garbage bags, one huge box) but kept a few items (not counting a few suits that I have to get re-tailored). But why did I keep some of the blouses/skirts that were too big? I told myself it was because I would have very few articles of clothing suitable for the office so I needed to keep some and wear them 'a little loose'...but really, I don't think that is it. And it isn't because I love these particular items. I think my subconscious is saying I will need them again...how do I get the voices in my head to shut up????

I have some shirts that I'm able to get rid of but I haven't been able to bring myself to do it either. I know the only reason is because I'm so worried that I won't have any clothes to wear. But that's silly because I'm not wearing them now and I'm fine. The pants that are like giant MC Hammer pants I have to keep because those really are the only pants I have that fit. I have about 8 pair of pants and only 3 of them fit well. Oh well, once I finally get out of this level of clothing I'll have a bunch of old stuff that fits and then I can dump all my bag-a-thon clothes. Hope I can let them go cause I need to make room for new stuff.

Crystal - that's a fantastic idea! It would be great if you could start that clothing line. And make sure they fit right too. Just cause I'm fat doesn't mean my arms grew longer.

Well, let me give you some motivation.

Most people, woman especially, that live in poverty tend to be overweight. I think this is because How cheap it is to eat completely unhealthy and since unhealthy foods have no real nutrients you get hungry quicker. The overweight woman thing is a fact, the rest of it my theory. Either way their are alot of bigger woman who can't afford lane bryant clothes EVER.

So donate those clothes to the salvation army, or Goodwill so that some big girl who can never find clothes in their size so they are forced to wear clothes that don't fit can finally get a shirt that looks good on her. Maybe to wear to an interview or something.

I know when I first moved out I was broke, and a size 22 and I had a lot of problems fining clothes at goodwill so I only had maybe 2 pair of pants and 2 or 3 shirts that I felt comfortable wearing out. I have two closets of clothes now, so I try to donate whenever I can.

So get those clothes out of the closet, you will never be able to wear them again (yay!) and give them a new home with someone who would really really appreciate them.

Love ya. :-)

Toss them, donate them, have a bonfire!! You won't ever need them again. I seem to change pants sizes about every 2 months now and as soon as my clothes start getting baggy, I start buying the next size down. I can no longer stand to wear baggy clothes, I want everyone to see me now, no reason to hide in a pair of sweats or ill fitting jeans. If you are still having trouble with letting them go, just wait a few more weeks until your 20s start feeling loose and that should reassure you that the bigger sizes are no longer needed!!

I guess I'm just the opposite..............I LUV purging the closet, bagging things up and moving them out. I feel such a sense of accomplishment when I'm done. One of those NSV's for sure.

I've been buying cheaper "transition" clothes from places like Cato's and have even found some designer pieces at our local Goodwill to get me thru the falling sizes.

I've been holding onto a lot of my too big clothes. I have a bunch of things I need to bag up and take to Goodwill (thanks for the reminder on that RSG!). Some things I am making a conscious decision to keep because I love to sleep in baggy shirts and shorts or because I can still make them work well enough to wear sometimes. I really hate the idea of spending money on clothes that I won't wear long. I am trying to make things last as long as I can before I break down and buy new stuff.

I also noticed that my body is much different than it was at this weight before. My arms and legs are thinner so my pants are way baggier throughout the legs. I have no butt. I think I wore the same size before. I carry much of my weight in my stomach and it is putting up a fight. LOL

Ready, I have been saying that for years...when I got big was when I was single and not making a lot of money. I lived on mac and cheese and Hamburger Helper, that stuff was cheap. Lots of carbs... but, if I had investigated, its not so bad moneywise to eat healthy. I get a big bag of chicken breasts from Walmart for 8 bucks and that's enough for several meals and a huge organic plastic box thing of springmix salad with one calorie spray and frozen blackeyed peas.. and I can eat for a week off that. The thing is, repetition.. I can eat the same thing for a week and be fine with it, but others can't.

Somebody mentioned the Goodwill, and I totally need to send my bigger clothes there because I know what it's like looking for plus sized clothes there. It's almost impossible! they get snatched up right away. when I get under 18 I don't know what I'll do because I only have a few 16's. That won't be for a LONGGG while, but it still worries me. Oh, you know a good place to shop for plus sizes cheaply? ROSS... if you have one, go there. Shirts for like $5-14 bucks and jeans, skirts and pants for $12-20. It's really nice. And they go up to size 28 too, whereas most places stop at like 24.:)

I haven't seemed to have too much trouble getting rid of the bigger sizes. I just went through things again for a garage sale we're tentatively planning and felt a little pang of sadness as I saw my very favorite things going into the piles. I had to remind myself that it's a great thing, nothing to be sad about. :thumbdown:

I agree about thrift stores and plus sizes. I never could even find a blasted 18, let alone anything in the range of 20s. If we had a decent thrift store within a reasonable distance I'd donate them, but we don't, so I'm hoping to get them into the hands of those who need them at the garage sale. I'll advertise that I have plus sizes, hopefully that will help.

I've been blessed to get some clothes from a fellow bandster. So when I get into those size 16 jeans, I'll have a dozen pairs that will fit. That's been a huge blessing to me, because frankly I can't afford to buy a new wardrobe to wear for only a couple of months.

I like to hang things that I'm almost small enough for in my closet alongside my other things, so I am reminded to keep trying things on, so as not to miss them before I'm too small to wear them. Such an exciting prospect!

I was tempted to take a pic of my closet to post here. Why? Because as I did take the 2 green garbage bags, plus 1 huge box to Goodwill, hanging in my double closet are 6 blouses, 3 suits and 3 pairs of pants...there's almost an echo in there!

Seriously, I think I am going to have to hit the thrift store and do some shopping...I won't wear anything too long (I hope), and the cost of having 2 suits remade was almost a budget breaker!

I have been dealing with this same thing the last few weeks. I have cleaned out my closet (twice) getting rid of clothes - only now instead of hanging in the closet, they are sitting on the big chair in my bedroom. I haven't worn any of them in months, but they are still just sitting there.

I know I need to bring them to the Goodwill, I just haven't been able to get them out of my house.

Maybe this week......

I've been giving them away as fast as I undergrow them. I have kept a couple of shirts and a pair of jeans just so I never forget where I have been. I'm enjoying picking up new things as I find them on clearance. Now that the season is changing I'm going to have to start looking for sweaters and things for the fall. Nothing I had last winter is going to fit. What a terrible problem to have!

My friend that I gave my larger clothes to called me to thank me again last night. She has been wearing the clothes I gave her every day (I gave her like 8 business outfits) and it felt good. I think it gave me the inspiration to really get into my closet and get it cleaned out. Get rid of all those bigger clothes that I don't need anymore. Though, I'm still wearing the bigger stuff. Today I'm wearing a pair of black pants that I can litterally pull off without unbuttoning. But, I told my friend I will still wear stuff until it falls off me if I can. As long as the shirts are fitted and look good, the pants can be baggy.