Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I think my port incision might be infected. It's reddish/pink, tender and still hurts. I am just over two weeks post-op and still in a bit of pain.

I can't get to the doctor though! I am just starting a new school year and can't take time off so soon. I can't use Neosporin because I am allergic to sulfa and I don't know what else I could put on it. I dribbled some hydrogen perioxide over the scar and it fizzed up like crazy. I tested some of my other scars and it didn't do that!

Any ideas of what to do? I am also not sure if it's just part of the process.

If it is hot, if it oozes and the exudate stinks, if you have a fever, if red spokes radiate out from it, or if it is dark angry red you probably have an infection. If not, then you are most likely fine.

There are other topical antibiotics (I don't think neosporin is a sulfa but haven't dug my tube out to be sure; you'd know if you were allergic) and if it makes you feel better you can apply.

It's best just to leave it alone and let it heal. What did the doc use to close it? Sutures? Steri strips? staples?

It was put together with glue I think...

It doesn't stink, radiate or anything else... it's still sore and is red though. And a TINY bit of oozing.

2a5ljdc.jpg

It's probably ok but you can always call your surgeon and get an antibiotic or an ointment....or if you have clinics where you live (what we call "Doc in th Box".) you can stop in after school hours and get it looked at. Mine looks a lot like yours and it is just healing...but I'm not a doc.

It was put together with glue I think...

It doesn't stink, radiate or anything else... it's still sore and is red though. And a TINY bit of oozing.

2a5ljdc.jpg

If it doesn't stink or feel hot and you have no fever you are probably just fine. Some wounds heal different than others on your body. the port incision is one that was manipulated a lot during the surgery and I remember mine stayed sore for longer than the other ones and healed slower.

I'd put some neosporin on it- the kind with lidocaine so it will help if it feels sore or starts to itch, you may even do some gentle cleaning with hydrogen peroxide and a q-tip.

It does not look infected. I had a c-section incicion that got infected years ago and even opened up and the OB had me use neosporin and hydrogen peroxide to keep it clean. That wound smelled funky, oozed bad smalling gunk and was red all over and hot to the touch all over.

Your redness seems to be about where a 2 week old incision would be. Make sure you are keeping it aired out and dry after a bath or shower and you are not soaking in a tub. I dried my incisions with a hair dryer- no heat-- after showers until they had completely sealed. I let them air out as much as possible, when you are at home, I know it's hard to let it all hang out, but clean it and give it some air.

I'm not a doctor, but as someone who has had many abdominal surgeries, I think it looks fine. It is totally sealed in the middle, which is great and the ensd will close up soon, just keep it clean and dry and use some neosporin.

Hang in there. :party:

Don't use hydrogen peroxide, that is the worst thing you can do, it will prevent it from scabbing and healing. Try using hibiclens, you can get it at any pharmacy. You can at least call your doctor and tell him what your scar looks like. Just be sure and keep the area clean and don't keep a bandage on it, it needs to breathe and scab up. Good luck to you!

Your ok, the oozing is fat most of the time from the surgery it gets burned or melts from the heat of the incision instruments. If you get a fever or it starts to smell then I would get some attention. Your only two weeks out your still gonna have some soreness but it should be deminishing day by day...Congrats on your band..

Bacitracin is a good topical antibiotic, or triple antibiotic ointment. Putting some of that with a gauze over it works wonders. It looks more than a little pink though. I got an infection in one of my incisions too, although not the port site. One of the internal stitches came to the surface of the skin, and kept rubbing on my clothes and eventually got infected. A couple days of oral antibiotics and topical antibiotic cream and it was gone. Good luck :)

I agree with Bacitracin. Your incision looks a little infected to me.

I would try it for a couple of days and if it doesn't look better and

If you cant get thru to your surgeon, go to your regular doctor. Your regular doctor should be able to perscribe some oral antibiotic.

Also ask for an antibiotic that is liquid or can be cut so you don't have problem swallowning

I just thought I'd update everyone on my situation. I was at work yesterday and looked down at my blouse and their was a big wet splotch on it. My incision site was oozing like crazy. I went to the school nurse (I'm a teacher) and she put a bandage over it but didn't do much else except to tell me to call the Dr. and get in ASAP.

So I called, but not until school was out and had my appointment this afternoon. They "scooped" all the gunk out of my wound and it is like a gaping hole in my belly (EW!!!!:scared2:) I got some antibiotics, some sterile Water, tons of gauze, tape and lots in instructions. They want me to clean it with soap and Water, make sure to WIPE out any yucky stuff with gauze and it needs to look pink (like hamburger she said.) She said bleeding was good.

It was so nasty I wanted to barf! And it hurt while she cleaned it out.:P

SO.... if you think there is even a LITTLE redness or soreness that doesn't seem normal, go to the doctor. Amazingly after the scooping torture, it stopped hurting!

The good thing is she said it should be good enough in 3 weeks for a fill. :thumbup:The bad thing is she said no yoga, and my first class is on Sunday with a friend. :lovechoc:

I also thought it would be best to NOT include a picture now because it is super disgusting. I am also worried now that I won't have a neat little scar but a big fat thick one...

I'm so sorry! but glad you went to the doc!