Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

A Throwback Day: Band? What band?

Wow, do I need a fill!! :laugh

Yesterday we had a birthday party for my older daughter's fifth birthday. I was too busy to eat much, and certainly didn't feel hungry throughout the day. The only thing I did wrong was not drink enough Water.

But TODAY! My, oh, my. Did I mention my specialty is picking at leftovers? And there were three important things I didn't know about kids' birthday parties:

1. RSVP means "don't bother letting us know if you're coming or not."

2. Children don't eat more than 10% of what's put in front of them.

3. Parents don't stay, even if invited to do so.

So, the food intended to feed 8 children and 12 adults ended up being picked at by 6 children and 5 adults. Can you say LEFTOVERS???? :)

Today I've been eating almost as if there's no band inside me. Over the course of the day I've put away three chicken thighs, a piece of cake, several pieces of fresh pineapple, a yogurt (wink to the ladies), chips and dip, a piece of brownie ... and the ice cream in the freezer is calling my name.

That's still less than I would have done pre-band, and in fact -- now that I see it written down -- it's not as much as it felt like. So that is a switch! But I am really ready for a fill, because it certainly wasn't me making decisions about food today. :ermm

I hate when people act as though RSVP means nothing what so ever! I'm not banded yet so I can't give you much advice. However, I can honestly say, the next time there is left overs, I would sneak Wal-Mart bags of it into your guest's car before they leave or feed it to a run-away dog!!Anything to get rid of it! That's why I dread Thanksgiving and Christmas! The damn left overs!

Good luck with your next fill!

Nichole

Hi Alexandra......through out the year i buy cheap Gladlock containers as they go sale(if i have coupon it's better) and when i have guest over as i am putting away leftovers i will pack up a container for each guest at the same time(this works great for the holidays)...Nicole :)

Hi Alexandra

Haven't "spoken" to you in a while. You and I really are following the same paths. I'm glad you're ahead of me so I know someone else is experiencing similar things.

I need a fill too. I really feel like I have no restriction. This weekend, I ate more than ever - with the band that is. It's still way less than pre-band, but much more than I should - or expected to be able to.

This was a Jewish Holiday weekend, and I've been eating all weekend. We were out for dinner at friends on Friday night - I had some beef for the 1st time. Yesterday, guests at our house and I ate bits of everything. Today, we went out for dinner and again, I had a fairly large portion, and even had some cake for desert.

And... I really wasn't full from it all. Again, I've eaten way less than pre-band, but really feel guilty with all the eating.

I haven't had any problems eating any types of food. The only tentative part was when I couldn't resist some of the crispy turkey skin. Mmmmm. But I only had a little and did start burping right away, so stopped before I ended up with a problem.

I'm seeing my doctor on Friday, 10/3 and am hoping for a fill. I have been losing up until now, but I won't be surprised if I have gained over this weekend.

It's really hard when you have the food around. And I can imagine that with your kids birthday party, there was lots of "good" things to eat.

When are you seeing your doctor? I believt you're just at 6 weeks post-op - so do you expect ot get a fill soon.

I'm looking forward to going back to work tomorrow. The weekends are so much harder for me.

Take care.

Mary

Hey Mary,

Yep, we are on the same wavelength. My appointment is next Thursday, and I actually don't want to lose any more weight before then. That is my 6-week mark and I hope to schedule a fill for shortly after that.

So I don't feel guilty about eating the way I did today...I enjoyed the food, and I very much enjoyed the fact that even a pig-out day involved less food than it used to. But I definitely know what you mean about the work week being easier!

As more time passes without a fill I'm worried I'll revert more and more to my old habits of taking big bites and swallowing them almost whole without thinking. I practically did that with this morning's chicken and only provoked a small golf-ball in my throat, which passed almost immediately.

I'm ready! :)

Alexandra,

I too was that way about six weeks after surgery. I however waited until I was 10 weeks post op to have a fill. I have the 10cm band and my first fill was 4cc. I always felt like I was eating too much pre fill and was ( I guess) expecting some kind of miracle after my first fill. Well, that miracle didn't happen! About two weeks after my first fill it was as if I had not been filled at all. I am not trying to be negative but please don't expect it to fix it all. I had my fill on June 11th and by the end of June was right back to eating way too much. I was so depressed that I just continued to eat (and it sure wasn't protein). I knew I wasn't eating no where near what I had pre band but it was still way too much and I couldn't seem to stop. Sometimes it takes more than one fill to really get the ball rolling. I only lost weight for three weeks after my first fill and I fought very hard after gaining about 12lbs to get it back off. I have since had another fill and am happy to say that I have dropped another 6lbs since then. I have perfect restriction (for now). This fill is quite different from the first in that I know I cannot push it to the limits as I could after the first one. I guess somewhere in all this rambling I just wanted to say to not expect your first fill to do the trick. Good luck and I hope all goes well.