Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

When can i go swimming!!?!?!?!?!?!

My band date was June 2. So when can i start swimming....i love gettin in the pool....i keep getting mixed answers....

also, what if i put like waterproof bandaids over my incisions...they are really small....

Please someone tell me when i can finally get some real rays!

10 days for sure?I called my Dr office and the lady said 6-8 weeks......i think shes crazy! I cant believe 6-8 weeks....she also said she could be wrong and i should wait and talk to the dr when i see him on the 7th of july. Blah! I wanna swim before then!!!

Do NOT go swimming...

DO NOT GO SWIMMING...

Do NOT go swimming

until

your doctor tells you you can.

No matter how badly you want to, it's not worth getting an infection.

Do NOT go swimming...

DO NOT GO SWIMMING...

Do NOT go swimming

until

your doctor tells you you can.

No matter how badly you want to, it's not worth getting an infection.

Can i get an infection even if the wounds are closed?

There is no reason you can't get an answer from your doctor's office prior to your July 7th appointment. I have been "yanked" around by my drs office and I am not taking it anymore....you paid good money for this surgery. You have the right to get answers to your questions when you call or, at least, within the day. Good Luck....call again tomorrow

M

I had my surgery and was supposed to return to my Water aerobics class afterwards. The doctor would not allow me back till all the scabs fell off. It drove me nuts but I waited. After all I went through to have the surgery I was not going to jeopardize my healing progress!!! I am diabetic so it took me a little longer to heal totally.....but it forced me to try a different type of exercize I had never done in my life!!! I did Strength/Weight Training while i waited...it was awesome!!! Never thought I could do it!!! It was worth the wait to me! Hang in there!

I first went swimming exactly 3 weeks after my surgery. I swam laps, too. I still was pretty sore in the port area, but took it easy & was okay.

I would call the office and ask to speak to your doctor's nurse, if that is not who you already spoke with. The nurse should be able to directly ask the doctor and get you your definitive answer. Until then, I would play it safe and just put your feet in the pool.

Hang in there...hugs.

Can i get an infection even if the wounds are closed?

That's why your doctor needs to see them. It's not really something a nurse can answer over the phone -- unless you've reached some maximum time limit at which the doctor is comfortable with it.

My doctor wanted to see that my wounds were not only closed, but healed enough that they weren't going to split back open, even a tiny bit, with the motions needed for swimming, etc.

It's just too important to screw up, in my opinion. The last thing you want to deal with is an infection.

Thank you all for your input. I will wait. I did talk to the Dr's Secretary. This Dr specializes in Bariatrics and he has two secretaries that get the room ready but thats it...so they arnt nurses.....they dont know much except whats in the pamphlet.(sp)

I saw your thread, thought I would respond. (don't post often unless I think I can truely contribute)

I am a swimmer and have been a Water fanatic all my life. I am also a Water Safety Instuctor, was a lifeguard for 12 years in the summers, and was an Aquatics Director for 4 years of that 12.

I waded in the pool at 2 weeks after surgery several times and was just fine. I did nothing strenuous and just "relaxed" in the pool. Be careful though and make SURE you put some cocoa butter or Vit E oil on your incisions after drying off because chlorine can dry out your incisions and make the healing dry and cracky leaving you with heavier scars. I did Vit E and did fine. You can see my scars on the "scar stages" thread. Also make sure you are putting on your sunblock.

A "senior citizen" geared class may also be just what you need if you want a water exercise. It is very low impact and uses toning rather than straining techniques.

I didn't start "swimming" laps until about 6 weeks because of the muscle groups it uses. Even then I was a bit sore on the sides and the port area. Only did a few laps too. I am almost 2 1/2 months out now and still don't do A LOT of laps. Mostly cooling off and enjoying/relaxing.

Swimming for exercise/ swimming laps uses muscles in the stomach region that may irritate you, cause you slight pain/discomfort, if you do it too soon. My suggestion is if you want to swim for exercise is to do a lap and then give it a day and see how you feel. Then progress upwards in adding more laps. May I sugges using a slower/less wide stroke such as the breaststroke or side stroke (not on the port side) rather than a full crawl, backstroke or butterfly. I still haven't even attempted a butterfly stoke I feel it can cause serious damage still right now.

I think it depends on if you mean "getting in the water and splashing around having a cool down in the summer" or actually "swimming for exercise/laps/workout".

GOOD LUCK and HAPPY WATER DAYS!!

My doctor wouldn't let me take a bath or swim for 6 weeks. I could only take showers. Please check with your doctor before going into the Water, it just isn't worth taking the chance.

The kind of swimming im talkin about right now is wading in the pool with my 11month old daughter. I just wanna be in the Water and relax with her....but i wont start the auquacise class for awhile. I just want some rays in the pool...sniff sniff

My doctor told me ten days. My mom is a nurse and she thought that was very conservative.

Good luck. I am 10 days on Thursday and I am swimming this weekend. It is too hot in texas not to jump in.