Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sept. Samurai Surgery Check-in

I think all of us September Sumurai are doing well. The breath thing does seem to be worse for those of us who are diabetics. I have my breath cannister with me at all times. I do think it has to do with losing weight also. Good luck to all! Dot

WtG Simon. You're doing great. You're lucky your dr does more aggressive fills. Mine only gives 1 cc at a time. Thank God it's only 20 minutes away.

We have a tummy bug in this house again. School aged children here too... can ya tell? Anyway, I got a touch so far of it. MY oldest has vomitted several times. Thank God he's still drinking, and keeping most of that down. Anyway I called my surgeon's office, and now have a script called into the pharmacy for phenerghan. But I'm to call him if I actually vomit. Yippee.

teri

It's great to read everyones posts. My surgery was 9/29. Didn't get my 1st fill on 10/28 due to my lg incision being infected, got antibiotics instead. Did get a fill of 3.5 cc on 11/6. However don't feel any restriction at all. Frustrated with that. From the doctors office have lost 13 lbs. Feel like I'm retaining Water, boobs hurt, pms'ing that type of thing. Had a hysterectomy a couple years ago, but still have my ovaries/hormones so hopefully it's kind of my tom or something. I don't know. I just went back to night shift and feel like crap. Having a hard time, don't know when to eat, having trouble getting in water and exercise. And not beating myself up for everything I feel like I'm doing wrong. Just thought getting the band would make it so I couldn't eat as much. Thanks for listening!

I too had a hysterectomy, and still retain Fluid, among other symptoms of an impending cycle. I had it two weeks ago almost. Weird thing was, I lost 4 pounds of fluid overnight, when I would have gotten my af.

teri

I am feeling very down at the fact that I had surgery sept 24 and yet to have a fill. I am going to the surgeon tomorrow, but receieved a phone call from their office yesterday saying that alot of insurance comp need pre cert for fills and that I might not get one tomorrow. Fact is if you are losing weight it might not be "necessary" for a fill. I feel super hungry most days and I am not losing hardly anything. Lets cross our fingers that I get a fill tomorrow. Teri I hope you do not have the flu, and everyone else keep up the great work. Tamara

Hi everyone!!!

I have banded 9/30 and to date I am down 43.5 pounds! I went to the dr today for my 6 week checkup and they said since I am losing so quickly and I am not feeling that hungry that I should wait another month to have my first fill! I have mixed emotions about it, but I figure the doctor knows best and who am I to doubt him! I think I am the only Sept bander that hasnt been filled yet! ugh!!

How is everyone else doing?? I am down 40 pounds and still wearing the same clothes can you believe that? Granted they are getting loose, but OMG can you believe I smashed my butt in those jeans! LOL

KIND OF A DELICATE SUBJECT

Ever since I have been back on regular food I have had a lot of gas. I can belch like a 13 year old boy who thinks it's funny and I also have a lot of farting (sorry couldn't think of anyother way to say it). Does anyone else have problems with this? I'm wondering if it is from chewing my food so well that I'm swallowing air or if it comes from the higher Protein levels of my food. I've always had my share of air but it's gotten so much worse since surgery. I work in a busy office and it can get embarrasing. HELP!!!!! Simon

Hi all - I'm new to this group. A few of you posted on my thread about being frustrated regarding fills, and since I'm September too, "followed" you here :thumbdown:.

I was banded by Dr. Ren at NYU. Started liquids 8/23, surgery 9/6, more liquids until 9/18, then mushies 'til 9/28, solids finally started on 9/29.

I'm down about 34 lbs. as of today, with another 70 or so to go.

I am based in Los Angeles and travel to NY for my followups and fills (first fill was 10/12 to 4.5 ccs; second fill was a couple of days ago, now at 6.2 ccs). The traveling is rough - I have three year old twins, a husband, a job, etc - but I committed to doing it once a month for a year. Problem is that I don't feel like I'm getting the greatest follow up care. Everyone at the office is SO NICE, and yet their investment is minimal.

For example, since the beginning I 've been talking about getting a local doc, just in case, and they keep saying they'll give me names. When I finally did get the names this week, I learned they just pulled them from the "find a doctor" link on the lapband.com site - I mean, good lord, I could have done that myself! They could have told me that on the phone 4 weeks ago instead of making me wait another month.

So...

Frustration abounds, and surprises too - like when I was handed a prescription for phentermine to get me through the "difficult days" before I'm due for a fill. The medication thing left me a little unsettled. I could have popped pills without surgery - to me the whole point of getting banded was to have this tool to use to help me make smart choices and know what it feels like to really feel full.

Okay, I'm just rambling here, guess I'm grateful to be technologically surrounded by a group of people who really get it, who've walked in my shoes and know the pain of chronic and obsessive overeating.

With so many joyful things in my life, it sometimes amazes me that - at age 41 - this is the one thing I just can't walk away from.

I hope that this new tool will help me break free from this addiction...and if anyone is still reading, I'm thankful to you.

Looking forward to getting to know you and supporting each of you in your own journey as I make my way in mine!

OPL

My heavens, once a month from LA to NYC! Wow you are a brave girl. And with 3 year old twins! I don't know that I would have done that. I feel so lucky, here I am in a much smaller city and I have great care 20 minutes away. I feel spoiled compared to you. There have to be great docs in LA. Good luck and I have to say what a brave girl you are! Dot

Hi OPL I too have nearly 3 yr old twins. So cool. :tongue2: Mine are boys, one is well, one has severe disabilities. He has cerebral palsy.

Anyway, the gas is bad here too. MY boys love it. My oldest son has noticed it smells worse is I have to drink the Protein shakes. So I have to wonder if it has something to do with the Protein.

Dot like you I'm blessed with wonderful dr's literally 20 minutes away. And I'm in the country side, so I was surprised by that. And it's even a center of excellence. I'm glad because my insurance wouldn't have paid if it wasn't.

The tummy bug has left me. It hit my oldest, and me, and I'm hoping it doesn't hit the twins.

Teri

Hi Dot and Teri - thank you for the welcome. Brave or crazy, I'm not sure. I've got an appointment at Cedars next month and hope to start working with that doc on a regular basis - no more feeling guilty about not going to NY if that doesn't keep happening.

Teri - three is a crazy age, isn't it? I have a boy and a girl. How is your son with CP doing? Has that been a food stresser for you? I'm definitely a "stress stuffer"...been working on that. Regardless - kids are a blessing, a miracle and a challenge all rolled up into one constantly fascinating (sometimes difficult) package :Dancing_wub:! I just wish someone had told me that the terrible twos were nothing compared to the "Effing Threes" (as my own dad, who also has twins, puts it!)

Okay, about the gas? OH. MY. GOD. Had I been banded prior to my kids' birthday in August I could easily have filled up every single balloon in the place, with some to spare.

Gas X chewable helps a bit - mostly I just belch like a fiend!

And yes, my kids AND my husband think it's hilarious :Dancing_sorry:!

Edited by ohpuhleez
Spelling, darnit :)!

I'm so ready for them to go to preschool, because of the "effing threes". I like that. My mom called it the terrible twos, and even worse threes. She helped raise my twin neices. They're 18 now. They were identical. Sounds like you and I both got fraternal.

I think you made a good choice.

I however have had a bad day. Tomorrow's another day. I ate a lot of doritos. Not in a few minutes, but I was and still am quite uncomfortable. I am angry at myself. I'm tired (don't know if it was the type of food or what), and above all, I'm very disappointed in me. I went thru so much to get the band, and I screw it up? Why????

Because it's been an extremely trying day. Matthew has done nothing but cry (he's the one with CP), Michael is sick, and clingy. I've not had a decent meal all day, because how can one eat a real meal with two 2 yr olds tied to your hips? Seriously calorie wise the doritos probably won't hurt my count, as I had about 3 bites of Breakfast (small small bites of a 70 calorie yogurt), and no lunch. BUT I got no Protein in. I made a horrible food choice. But it's 5:19 pm here... and as of 5 pm, it's on to a new hour... and on to bigger and better things... bigger in fun, better in food choices.

Teri

Doritos will not kill you, nor should they quash your motivation or spirit.

I didn't even see until now in your sig that you're a single mom of three - that you have even undertaken this effort on behalf of yourself is HERCULEAN!! GOOD ON YOU!!

The better you are to yourself the better you will be to and for your kids - kids model what they see, and when they see that mommy takes care of herself, they will know that it is important for them to do the same as they get older. So good for you and that it's good for them is just a nice side effect :Dancing_sorry:!