Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

OMG, Am i conservative?

I have always considered myself a pretty liberal person. Or maybe i'm just getting old!

Friday we took my 12 yr old daughter to a baseball game. She had received a ticket from her school for "Private School Night". We thought it would be an enjoyable family evening. Not quite...

I guess in addition to it being "Private School Night" it was also "Halloween Costume Night." As the vendors were coming through the stands selling Snacks and beverages, there was one vendor who looked like she was selling a little more than that. Hubby and I both thought it was inappropriate and distasteful for a "family oriented event" such as a baseball game. Had we been at a bar or other "adult only" venue, it would would have been fine. Where I work, we do not allow the staff to dress for Halloween anymore due to situations like this. It seems many people do not realize what is appropriate and what is not.

In fact it is an outfit that hubby likes and I have a similar one in the closet... the short skirt, lace-topped thigh highs, white top that the girl was spilling out of. And I don't believe I'm saying this out of jealousy, since the girl was about the same size if not a bit larger than I.

Hubby even talked to the assistant manager (apparently the manager was not available). Basically he was dismissed that "It is Halloween Costume Night." Ok, I understand that, but they are dressed as.....and is that what we want to emulate at a family oriented event? While hubby was speaking with the asst. manager, another girl walked by dressed identically.

Now, we are not overprotective of my daughter, she knows the facts of life, she is aware some women make a profession out of what it appeared these girls were emulating. However, its not only about my daughter, but all the other children (many of whom were younger than mine) and families. I feel lucky that my daughter is so modest; she doesn't even like to wear bermuda length shorts and she can't stand v-neck tops.

As I stated, I believe I am pretty liberal. However, what I wear to a girl scout meeting is completely different than what I wear to go to a strip club with hubby. Now, am I overreacting that it was inappropriate? I know that many girls wear less day to day, but these girls (early 20's I'm guessing) were obviously dressed like hookers/strippers, is that appropriate at a baseball game on the same night that school age children are going to be the majority of the attendees? Am I just getting old and making too much of this?

I am confused was this a school sponsored event or a major league baseball event?

My opinion on this would differ, based on the above info.

minor league i'm guessing. it's the city's team, hubby said he was wondering if it was triple A or what, but I don't know.

I did ask my 21 year old son what he thought, and he agreed that since there were kids, it was inappropriate. he said even if the girl had been hot, because there were a lot of kids, it was wrong.

Edited by newhope4me

I think it is something that I would have to see. The description of the outfit dosen't sound too bad, but the image in my head may be different than reality.

That's understandable. Therefore, I found a similar outfit online to show you. The only difference between the pix and the actual outfit are, there was no bare midriff, the girl wore a tight fitting shirt under the white shirt. The skirt was black as well as the laced topped thigh highs. The girl wore her hair the same as in the pix.

post-230291-13813137518759_thumb.jpg

Aside from not giving some direction to their employees on the type of costumes they should be wearing, what the heck are they doing this in late August?

I'm assuming they did it in August because I'm guessing there's no game around Halloween to do it then.

I live near a Catholic highschool, and the pic you posted is exactly what the girls look like when they walk to school. When they get to school property, they "unroll" the kilt, and button and tuck the shirt in.

To be honest, my friends and I did the same thing, when we were Catholic school girls back in the 80's.

I agree that they shouldn't have hosted 2 "special events" at once. I imagine some of the younger kids would have been really scared if the Halloween Costumes were super scary instead of super slutty. It kind of seems like a no-win.

I don't think you are being too conservative...it would have been better if "Halloween Night" had been held on a night OTHER THAN "Private School night"...how stupid are they to schedule them together?:crying:

Just taking this from an economic perspective...it would seem to me that "Private School Night" would include primarily families. Forgive me if this seems biased, but aren't private schools usually for those in the middle-to-high income strata? The kind of folks you want buying season tickets to ball games at your stadium, bringing their kids, and spending money on food as well as tickets? :wink2:

DOH! Have "Halloween Night" on a different night than one where you are pretty much GUARANTEED to get families and children JUST IN CASE what happened to you happens to someone else.

I personally would have done what you did - mentioned it to a manager. They could have inquired of the ladies in question if they could adjust their costumes to be more covered up.

Sorry to jump in. I was searching something when I found this.

I think you may of been mistaken about the theme of that nights baseball game. At a "Private School Night" function, I would expect the naughty school girl look to be everywhere. Thats what you where to a 'Private School Night" party. The ladies are naughty school girl and guys as the headmaster or the guys dressed as nerds and the lady as the stern headmistress.

I personally would not take a child to such an event, but I guess I'm more convervative than you.:biggrin:

Send a letter to the editorial page of your local newspaper. There may be other families who feel the same way. If a good deal of attention is brought to it, and the poor decision of the ballpark manager is exposed, it will ensure it doesn't happen again next year. Personally, I think the picture of the costume you posted was an insult to Private School girls. If I were in Catholic school, I would have taken offense. It was degrading. I think your private school should be alerted as well. Punky sluts taking pot shots at the students through a tacky costume would not go over well. This IS your community, and this game was supposed to honor or Celebrate private schools. NOT mock them.

I think that you might be more conservative than you think. Twelve year old girls who have access to television and the internet and media savvy friends are pretty sophisticated and the outfit which you described sounds more like what teenage private school girls do once they are off school property; they like to roll up their skirts, tie their shirt tails, etc.

Don't worry so much about what your daughter sees when she is out with you, would be my advice. It is better that she experience the variety of life while under your guidance, don't you think, than later on when she is out with friends or on her own. It sounds as though you are giving her a grounded home life - you are, afterall, out doing things together as a family - and this will result in her growing up to be a solid individual, one who can look at an outfit like that and figure out that it is not appropriate dress and why it is not.

Sorry but if that costume offends you so much, then yeah, you are a little on the conservative side, especially given the girl apparently didn't even bare the midriff but wore a shirt beneath the tie up.

Sorry i've been absent, been out of town on business.

Ok, maybe not in order, but my responses:

It was private and charter school night (i left out the charter school part as I have been asked so many times what this is: basically a private school for the general public, it is not expensive).

I did learn that many parents were a bit upset about it, not to mention faculty members who were in attendance. There were games set up by faculty to raise money for thier prospective schools (dunk the principal, etc).

I don't believe that I was mistaken regarding the theme. The students were given the tickets (all students received 2 tickets), and the ticket stated: "Private and Charter School Night". Once we arrived, there were people at the gate handing out trick or treat bags with a few pieces of candy and the concession vendors were wearing costumes. When we mentioned the girls' outfits, we were informed it was "Halloween Night". I don't know how I coud misinterpt that. I also would not expect the naughty school girl outfit to be every where as there were young children present.

I have nothing against the outfit. I have a similar one in my own closet. However, I do not wear it in public and definitely not around children. If I had been in a bar or at an adult costume party, i would not have a problem at all with the outfit.

Yes, 12 year old girls can see pretty risque outfits on television. Does that mean we should encourage such attire? Granted, I feel lucky that my daughter is much more modest than some of her friends.

I know I can't protect her from the negative influences in society, but i just thought that enjoying a family activity could be accomplished at something that invited children from area schools.