Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

24 hours post op

I was calm and peaceful at the hospital. No more worries. A year of working to get there and once I was there, it felt good and right.

Surgery went well, doc fixed a small hiatal hernia we didn't know I had.

I first woke up to the feel of the breathing tube in there. I tried not to fight it but I did. They put me out again and when I woke up next I was in my recovery room with my loved ones waiting for me.

The pain in my shoulder was very bad. About an 8. I finally asked for some some Dilotid and anti-nausea and with in a minute it was bearable. I napped for an hour, then sipped my fluids and did my walks about the unit. I was on my way home 4 hours after arriving in my recovery room.

Vicodin gives me headaches so they sent me home with Oxycodone (Percoset w/o the Tylenol). I'm maintaing a level 3. Mostly discomfort than pain. I slept 6 hours through the night without interruption.

I fell like today is the first day of the rest of my life. I'm so excited!

I am thre weeks post op. I did really good and had very little pain. However I did take my pain meds for three days just to make sure I didn't have any pain. I did walk as much as possible when I woke up and that seemed to help alot. I didn't walk fast or far but I did move. My first walk was only two yards down the street and it took me about an hour. Good luck to you!!

i am 24 hrs post op and am feeling just minimal discomfort. my best friend was with me and 5 hrs after surgery, i was walking in the grocery store b/c i had forgotten something on my shopping list. i went to wal-mart today and bought a scale and am down 1 pound. it hurts to breathe deeply but i went in with some bronchial issues. they gave me vicodin but i haven't taken it. i took a tylenol last night for a headache. i seem to be paranoid about what i eat. i have been eating Jello and Soup and Water but i don't know if the first week i just need to eat when i feel hungry or eat according to a schedule. also, can anyone tell me how to make the little ticker thing at the bottom of the screen?

thx! katie

Hi Katie,

The key is walking. Get up and moving as much as you can but don't try to do more than walking.

As far as eating, while you are on liquids, you can litterally drink anything you want, anytime you want. I did make sure to drink at least a couple of high Protein drinks a day (this helps with hunger - Slim Fast Low Carbs are my favorite in a can but I also made smoothies with Protein powder) and I avoided high calorie stuff like ice cream (for the most part). I probably had a shake every other day or so and I still lost over 10 lbs (I think close to 20 but my logs were lost with a computer crash) while I was on liquids. The important thing for me during this time was to be sure I wasn't too hungry and feeling deprived because I couldn't have solids.

I can't really tell you how to do the signature thing. It took me about 3 weeks to figure it out myself.