Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm Not Losing Weight

I don't mean to sound like a whiner but I've lost 15 pounds since my surgery on May 9 and I'm stuck at that weight. I realized I was still eating too much after my first fill on July 5 but I've really tried to watch the amount of food I'm eating and feel like I'm really doing better. I also walk 2 to 3 times a week but I'm still not losing weight. I'm just discouraraged right now and feel somewhat of a loser (not in the right sense!!). I'm drinking more Water than I ever have before also. Is there something I'm missing?:lol:

Don't get discouraged. What are you eating? Are you keeping a journal? How long are you exercising for? Try eating more Protein if you aren't already and exercise a little bit more. It's possible if you are able to eat too much that you may need a fill.

Are you tracking your food? Writing down and calculating your calories, fat and Protein will help you determine what you need to do next. Cut by 200 a day however many calories you are currently eating. Don't fudge (no joke intended!) your intake and use the web to figure out the counts. Here is a good site to use: Nutrition facts, calories in food, labels, nutritional information and analysis – NutritionData.com

I know you have the band to help eliminate the need to do this. But tracking is about the only thing you can do to figure out why you are not losing.

Good luck.

I'm not keeping a journal so I will start. I'm not eating almost any bread, I think I've only had a couple of pieces since my surgery. When I walk, I walk 2 miles in about 40 minutes. I still have to be careful and not get food stuck. If that is still happening, do I need a fill already? For your Journal, do you just keep a notebook with what you have eaten?

No, I'm not keeping a journal right now. What is the best way to do that? Just with a notebook of some sort?

I don't mean to sound like a whiner but I've lost 15 pounds since my surgery on May 9 and I'm stuck at that weight. I realized I was still eating too much after my first fill on July 5 but I've really tried to watch the amount of food I'm eating and feel like I'm really doing better. I also walk 2 to 3 times a week but I'm still not losing weight. I'm just discouraraged right now and feel somewhat of a loser (not in the right sense!!). I'm drinking more Water than I ever have before also. Is there something I'm missing?:lol:

Sometimes if your not eating enough and your exercising, your body will try to hold on to the fat for self preservation. I agree with everyone else that you should keep a journal and figure out what the problem is there. You can also go to prevention.com and there are tools there to figure out how many calories your burning and also how many calories it takes just to maintain your body each day.

HI Lisa,

Start a food and feelings journal, I find it sooo helpful on all levels. Just get a regular 1 subject and start. Right down How much your eating, try to write it down right after or during when you eat, otherwise you will forget to write things down.. Push the Water and see if you are sabatoging yourself with any higher calorie items. If you are honest in your journal, your weight will start coming off again! Good luck! you can do it...

Kirsten

banded 7/29

Boston Medical

day of operation 272

now 250.2

Hey Lisa,

I know how frustrating it is! I had great success the first month and a half, and then hit a complete stall. I spent three weeks in bandster hell! I was keeping a journal, using the daily plate Calorie Counter, Diet Tracking, food Journal, Nutrition Facts at The Daily Plate and being so conscientious. I thought I really didn't need a fill, because I was still getting stuff stuck often as well. But, I finally went and got one, and guess what? VOILA! I'm losing again!

You've been given some good advice here. Yes, do journal. It's a great tool for identifying problem areas. (if you can bite the bullet, and be brutally honest with yourself), but I would say a fill is likely to help.

Good Luck!

Yep, the Daily Plate rocks!! I think if you honestly write down what you are eating every day, you'll find you're eating too many calories. I have to consume <1100/day to lose any weight at all!! Try it for 2-3 weeks and see if it helps.

Of course, using the daily plate means you will also have weigh and measure your food. And some of the weights and measures on the daily plate are in metric, so occasionally, you may have to use a converter. No big deal, here is one I use: LabPixies - Coolest Gadgets On The Web

Just commit to a week of weighing and measuring, and tracking. It may seem like a hassle, and part of the reason for the band was to avoid this type of thing, but a problem exists, and needs to be identified. Besides, compared to what you have already been through, this is nothing!

I too started out strong and then found that I wasn't losing. In my case I had lost so much in the beginning (4/14 banded) 34 lbs and then nothing. In fact, I even gained in week 3 (10 lbs) when I introduced crackers & Peanut Butter AND was keeping caloric intake under 500 calories. I may have been disappointed BUT was not discouraged. I knew I was doing nothing to gain weight and believed it was Water weight loss that was a big part of my initial loss. I hadn't drank much those first weeks.

Today I went for my 3rd fill and was very happy to agree with the PA that I did not need one. We believe I've reached my Sweet Spot with the two past fills. I am losing now a pound a week and have just begun walking daily for 30 minutes in the early a.m. (To get it out of the way!)

A big lesson I learned is that calories are no longer the enemy for me. I'm taking in less than 1,200 a day - often between 800-1,200. I'm told by my doctor's program to stop counting calories and eat three meals a day with Protein, veggies, then if I can fit more some wiser choices.

Bottom line is that I learned that my metabolism is going in a survival mode and decreasing calories will not increase the weight loss. This means that all those times pre-band when I was dieting and then not losing weight - I was plateauing. I had taken it as a sign of weakness and always "fell off the wagon." Now I can go a month without losing a pound and know that it will all come together. My little piece of advice is to eat sensibly - don't starve yourself, increase exercise, and be patient.

To date I've lost 42 lbs since 4/14 and I'm happy with this. This is truly "fat" loss not "water" loss. And if I'm lucky enough to lose 1 lb (that was without walking!) to 2 lbs. a week until my next fill follow up on Oct. 10, I am ecstatic.

Best of luck & keep your spirits high!

Kas-E

I too was not told to count cals per day. I am to have 3 meals, no Snacks. 1/2cup per meal, 60-70 gms Protein each day. If any carbs, then only complex but limit white potatoes. They are worst complex carbs to turn to sugar, hence fat!! Sweet potatoes are now my family's fave!

I was also told NOT to get used to measuring forever.

My doctor said do not eat diet food or anything that says diet.Lap band is not a diet but a way of life.Example to not use low fat margarine,skim milk or low fat cottage cheese ect.because if you are eating the right portions as in a cup the difference in the calories is not enough to make a difference and you enjoy your food more.He said Portion Control not calorie counting is the key.Also do not eat around the band,such as foods that are easy to swallow like mushies.Solid foods stay with you longer and the band can easily restict the amount you eat.But if you eat lot of soft food you can graze all day long with no restriction.