Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What are my chances?

Are there any bandsters out there who have NEVER vomited, PBd, or slimed? I just want to know how often this happens if at all? I don't like to vomit (not that anyone likes to) but I'm a person who maybe has vomited a handful of times in my life. I'm scared to do any of these things cause I hate such events it makes me sick and I don't like the feeling. So please tell me if I follow all the rules of chewing, eating slow, small bites, not overeating that my chances of doing the above will be slim to none.

I am the same way with you... The closest I have gotten since the band is just refluxing up into my mouth. Ive dry heaved a couple times but that is it.

I think the answer depends on how tight you want your fills, as to what the chances are of those things happening. Im not tight yet (to say the least). The only slight problem I had was with some cantelope, a slight choking feeling.

Im sure as the fills get tighter this will happen more often if I dont chew things up well. So, far I dont need to.

Hi Carly,

I am just beginning the process. My primary insurance is with United Health Care with Tricare Standard as the secondary. I've been to an informational meeting, asked for a referral from my PCP, and scheduled an initial appointment with a local surgeon. I guess my question is did you have any problems with Tricare? Leona

Are there any bandsters out there who have NEVER vomited, PBd, or slimed? I just want to know how often this happens if at all? I don't like to vomit (not that anyone likes to) but I'm a person who maybe has vomited a handful of times in my life. I'm scared to do any of these things cause I hate such events it makes me sick and I don't like the feeling. So please tell me if I follow all the rules of chewing, eating slow, small bites, not overeating that my chances of doing the above will be slim to none.

There is hope for you! I have not been sick at all. I chew my food very carefully and take small bites. Also, I went for my first fill and told the PA to put less than they normally do, because I hadn't been sick yet and I didn't want to start now. I have an 11 cc band. They normally put 4, so she put 2cc in. I drank Water and it took too long to go down, so she stuck me again and took 1 cc out, leaving me with 1 cc in. I could have gotten tighter, but then I would be risking the PB/vomiting. I would rather lose slower and have this be a pleasant experience than to lose it faster but be too tight and miserable.

Choose your foods carefully and chew slowly. You should be fine.:biggrin:

I am new to this whole thing, so can someone answer a stupis question? What does it mean to PB?

Iv been told productive burping. i.e. more than gas is coming up I believe. Sounds nasty to me too, but I admit I do have more gas than I had before being banded.

I was banded March 24th and have had 2 fills and have never PBd (productive burp) or slimed etc.. Not everyone does this. I do think it depends on how tight your band is, how fast you eat, not chewing your food well, etc..

I am new to this whole thing, so can someone answer a stupis question? What does it mean to PB?

That's definitely not a stupid question.

If I am incorrect in my explanation, someone please correct me.

I think they refer to it as a "productive burp", but essentially it seems like vomiting, but without the stomach acid. The food comes back up almost as it went down but with extra saliva (slime). I think the extra saliva is from your body trying to help the food go down the pouch.

Hello -

I had to look that one up myself.

PB - Productive Burp - this is what happens when something eaten comes back up when your burp. Im still trying to find out what Slimed is.

Laurie

I didn't PB until 6 months after surgery. Luckily it's not quite as bad as throwing up IMHO. It's the stuck feeling that sucks!!! Once you actually PB whatever is stuck you feel much better. It really is like a burp that produces a very small amount of food that is slimy. But there is no stomach acid mixed in so you don't get the horrible after taste. I think I have PBd maybe 5 times since surgery...it's not something you want to do often (band slippage) but it's not the worst feeling in the world. If you follow the rules closely, you should be ok. Good luck!

Hello -

I had to look that one up myself.

PB - Productive Burp - this is what happens when something eaten comes back up when your burp. Im still trying to find out what Slimed is.

Laurie

Sliming usually comes along with a PB, but you can slime without ever Pbing. It usualy happens when you don't chew something well enough and it momentarily gets stuck. It is basically when your mouth starts watering so much that you can't swallow it all. For me it usually goes away within 5 minutes. The first time you do it, you will know exactly what it is. lol.

Hi,

I was banded 5-12-08 and so far no PB, vomiting or slime & nothing has gotten stuck either. I feel fortunate as my PA said eventually it happens to everyone. I try to be careful what I eat, but occasionally catch myself eating too fast. I have 8 cc in my 14 cc band after 3 fills, feel some restriction, but not at sweet spot, I don't think. I've lost 56 pounds, have a hundred or more to go.

I been banded for 4 months and one fill of 4.6 in a 10 band and have not PB or anything. I will say if I eat to fast or take a big bite and not chew I have gotten a burning sensation that may last a minute or so. I just stop eating and it usually passes. With that you are reminded to take small bites and chew well..