Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

blood pressure question...

Hi Friends...

I will probably be banded November..God and insurance company willing... but was just dx with HTN (high blood pressure )a few days ago. Not a great surprise given the extra work my weight puts on my "ticker"... But I am curious about how banding and resultant weight loss has done for others and their issue with hypertension...

Nancy

I was off of high blood pressure meds less than a month after surgery and only 12 pounds down. Blood pressure is now staying pretty steady in the 120's over 70-80's.

My blood pressure is still high -- it's likely more a genetic thing for me. I'm a type-A personality. But it is better....maybe someday....

Bec

It took a good 4 months and about 40 pounds (of 80) to get off the meds. I never really took them that religiously to begin with but was glad they were no longer needed. All those blood vessels in that fat have to be kept alive and that requires a big pump (heart) so it makes sense to lose the weight and relieve the pump.

Hi Friends...

I will probably be banded November..God and insurance company willing... but was just dx with HTN (high blood pressure )a few days ago. Not a great surprise given the extra work my weight puts on my "ticker"... But I am curious about how banding and resultant weight loss has done for others and their issue with hypertension...

Nancy

I was banded on 8/22/08 and have lost 20 lbs pre & post total. I was on two BP meds and on Monday was very light headed and dizzy. I took my BP and it was very low 90/58. I called my doctor and he said go off the meds but check by BP 2 times a day. Yesterday and today I have had readings of a normal person!!! I am still on liquids and the doc said it may go up again once I start food. I need to keep an eye on it. If it starts getting too high he will start the meds again. He feels pretty confident that once I lose all my weight I will not need them at all.

That is an excellent question! I was banded 6/30/08 and I have hight blood pressure for which I take three medications per day. I have lost 25.5 lbs so far, but I have not been able to go off of my meds yet. When I had my surgery they advised me to take my meds as regular that day, by the time they wore off 24 hours later my BP was higher than I had ever seen it in my life they were freaking out a little (I felt fine, which was odd, I usually don't when my BP spikes) I didn't bring the meds with me to the hospital and they didn't have exactly what I take available. I am so looking forward to not having high BP...

Has anyone gone off of meds and gained? And I mean GAINED? I took 1/2 the meds of that I used to in April at 6 months out. My Dr. took me off me off my blood pressure meds (yeah!) at 10 months past surgery but now I gained 12 pounds. YIKES. I'm down two from there but still I'm up 10 and now I won't make my 100 loss by my bandiversary Oct 9. Anyone have similar experience?

And yes, I could go back on a Water pill but I don't really want another med in my system.

And no, I'm not changing my ticker back up.

Susan

Seebs

I had been on b/p medication for 10 years. I was banded on June 5th of this year. One week later I was so dizzy and took my b/p it was 80/50 and my pulse was 42. I called the dr. and they said to go off my medications and continue to monitor my b/p. IT HAS BEEN NORMAL EVER SINCE!!!! That was only one week post op, I was so thrilled. I am now down 76 lbs. and feeling better than ever. So no I didn't gain when I went off, and part of my medication was a diuretic but had no problems.

I am 32 years old and I have been on high blood pressure meds for about 3 years. I am about 2 months post-op, I've lost about 17 pounds total pre and post.

I had to stop my hbp meds after surgery because it got really low beginning the day of surgery. I had to get back on them about a week after surgery.

My doctor says he predicts a 50/50 chance of getting rid of my hbp, because of the strong genetic factor I have, but he is the one who recommended the band, because even thouhg my lifestyle was the same my hpb kept creeping up, getting higher.

I am hoping to get off of the hbp meds. My doctor said to basically pay very close attention to my body and it will give me the signs when and if it is time to adjust or stop using hbp meds as I start to lose more weight.

I hope we ALL get off these meds!!! Good luck to us all!!!

Well i went to my pcp and now 62 lbs down and 5 moths later we are talkign about getting off the eds as my b/p was normal so hopeully in the next 2 months. exciting stuff - gigi

Hi Friends...

Nancy

Hello Nancy,

I have extremely High Blood Pressure, I am on two different blood pressure meds and also a Water pill. I also have several forms of Arthritis and fybromyalgia. I have trouble walking from all the pain.

I was banded on the 30th of April, and lost 11 pounds the first week. Don't have a scale but i can tell i

have lost more since i saw the dr. on the 5th of May.

Since it will be 6 months before you have your surgery,

Please follow up on my progress and if you have any other

questions feel free to ask. I'm hoping to ease the pressure

off my joints and bones to be able to walk better and get around on my own, and also help get my blood pressure back to normal.:frown:

I hope all goes well for you:smile2:. btybooop58

Edited by btyboop58

I was borderline hypertensive before I got banded and my BP even got up into the 170/110's! My Dr. decided not to put me on any meds because he was hoping I could get the surgery and that would help. A couple days ago I had two Dr.s appts within a couple days of each other and each time (which was a month after surgery and 20 lbs lost) my BP was steady in the 120/80's. Hopefully it goes the same for you, good luck!

Prior to surgery (3/25/08) I had enough co-morbidities for 2 or 3 people. High blood pressure, reflux, sleep apnea, joint arthritis, high cholesterol, everything but diabetes.

I took 2 meds for BP, 2 for cholesterol, 1 for reflux, 1 for arthritis. I have been able to stop all the cholesterol meds, the reflux med and one of the BP meds.

We tried stopping the second BP med but my BP crept up some (not horrible, like 130/85) AND my weight crept up a few pounds too, so I talked to my doctor and we left it at one BP med. At least it is the generic type that I can get at Walmart for $10 for 90 days. Just the copays on all that stuff is enough to kill you. I also take Meloxicam for my arthritis but getting the weight off has made a huge difference in how much pain I get. Not nearly as bad as before.

There is HBP in my family too, so I may be dealing with a genetic component also. I can't complain, though. Compared to before, I am doing great. And from a size 22womens to 10misses ain't bad either!

I'm a little more complicated than the everyone else I'm a stroke survivor. We don't really have a reason for my stroke so they have me on meds for cholesterol and hypertension (htn) for more as precautions; since surgery 7 months ago and since I started the process just over 60lbs now they've lowered my htn meds twice and I'm sure the htn will be lowered again because my latest readings are 97/50 range and I'm getting occasional dizzy spells upon standing. My cholesterol is great 128 tri <45 hdl 85 LDL 55 I might have hdl and LDL switched I never remember. They are not letting me off the cholesterol meds though because the hdl and LDL are not were they want them. I'm sure as you drop the weight your numbers will improve and you can get off your meds.

Sent from my iPhone using LapBandTalk

I was on 2 different BP meds prior to being banded. I am now down to one and all my labs are normal, even my A1C, which I am thrilled about!