Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So I learned that my insurance company will not pay for lapband. Very disappointing but not all that surprising. Chances are that I will be waiting a long time before I can get this procedure now but there is a glimmer of light that I might have some people come forward to help me with this. They are asking me about Mexico. I have an aunt who went to Mexico for hers and she has done very well. Is there anyone else around here who has gone to Mexico for their surgery and if so can you give me some particulars? Things I need to find out is the name of the surgeons, locations, pricing, and your experience.

I have been quoted $7,500 for surgery in Cancun. That included two nights at the hospital, two nights at a hotel, and all that goes with the surgery. This is also for the Realize Band. Welcome to Cancungastricband is their website.

Please any info would help a lot. Thanks!

HI..Just a little bit about myself.. My insurance will not pay as well. I have been researching and researching. I have choosen to have surgery in Mexico with Dr. Ortiz. My schedule date is Nov 14th. I have asked and asked on this board about Mexico and about the Doctors. I made my decision due to the fact that I found out that Dr. Ortiz is a teaching doctor and the doctor that I have chose to use after my surgery in the United States, was proctored by Dr. Ortiz. Carolyn that works for Dr. Ortiz is wonderful and she will answer any and all (trust me, I think I have emailed her 10 million times)of your questions. ....Good Luck with your choice....

If your not comfortable with getting it in MX (I know airfare is a killer right now) Dr. Kirshenbaum in Denver will do everything for $9975.00. Just a thought.

Good luck on your journey and hopefully you will be there sooner rather than later!

I am also going to be self-pay. I didn't even bother trying to file insurance, since I have a BMI of 38, and most insurances require you to be 40+. I am getting banded by Dr. Kirshenbaum in Denver, CO on 11/5. His cost is $9,950 total. That's it. And he's not cheap because he's a bad surgeon. He offers the discounted rate to people who are denied by insurance and must pay out of pocket, because he wants to prevent people from going to MX for the surgery. Going to MX, while it is cheaper, is not nearly as safe as staying in the US. You have no legal recourse in MX if something goes wrong during your surgery. Dr. K offers a much lower rate than anywhere else in the US in order to help people better afford the surgery and keep them in the US!

As for Dr. K, you are responsible for flights/hotels but his fee includes everything else. Dr. K's website is here: www.lapbandrockies.com

My husband and I were able to get a medical loan through www.surgeryloans.com so maybe you should look into that.

I went to Juarez, they pick you up at the El Paso airport, so unlike Cancun you are flying into a U.S. country. Its about 20 minutes or 30 over the border, but takes longer coming back as you have to wait in the customs lines.

Medicaltourism did it with Dr. Naketa, some misunderstandings have arisen that Im still working out, like Im asking for the Operating Report, some fill doctors require it.

I wasted $200 and 5 hours driving to my first fill and didnt know I really should have something in writing and they gave me a teensy fill for a 4 cc band when I knew I had a 10 cc band, waste of $200 and 6 hours of my time.

Mine was $6,500 and the surgery went beautifully, no problems, not much gas, I came home a day early in fact, I felt so good, but you will feel like a outcast with fills doctors. Some charge extra, some have a waiting period to see you and most wouldnt see you at all, heard lots of excuses why not. The $200 fill doctor is the cheapest in my area and I have to drive quite a ways to see her and the first fill was a total bust and cant go back for 6 weeks.

So, to sum it up, the surgery went fine, but finding a fill doctor and getting fills may be more of a hassle than you expect and higher prices than for U.S. banded patients, which irks me.

I am also being banded in Mexico (Tijuana) by Dr Ortiz who was featured on the Oprah show. I live in southern California so it is really ideal for the fills and priced at $7500 it is much cheaper than in the US. Since my BMI does not qualify for the surgery in the US I had to go to Mexico. My weight fluctuates so much so sometimes I qualify sometimes I don't. Anyways, I really recommend Dr. Ortiz and Carolyn his assistant, was really helpful planning my surgery. I'm doing it over Thanksgiving since I'm not from the States originally and don't Celebrate that holiday. The center also provides other services if you need other procedures or dental work by his colleague, for example.

Well after doing some research I have narrowed it down to Dr. Pedro Kuri in Tijuana or Dr. Jose Rodriguez in Juarez.

I have seen a lot of good reports on both. They both are very well experienced but Dr. Rodriguez is a bit more experienced then Dr. Kuri. I do however have an aunt who has had lapband done and she went to Dr. Kuri so that is a big plus in his direction.

Does anyone have any stories to tell about either one of these doctors? I would like to hear both good and bad experiences.

Thanks again for all the help!