Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Kaiser Southern California

Hello all!! I called Kaiser today to scheudule my appointment to see my PCP so that I may get a referral for a lap band. My appioniment is on Sept 10th (wish me luck):cool2:. The only thing that worries me, is that when I called customer support (Kaiser) to see if Lap band was coverd, I was told it wasn't only the gastric bypass (which I DO NOT want):thumbup:. But that I should keep my appointment with my PCP and if she felt it was medically necessary, she would know what to do. Has anyone in Southern California (Kaiser) gone through this? My BMI is 46 or 48. I would think that I would qualify just on that. I don't have any health issues though. Will this NOT help my chances? I really need this, as I have tried EVERYTHING since I was 15 yrs old.

Please HELP .... what is in store for me? What can I do to better my chances??? I know Northern Califonia Kaiser patients are getting Lap bands, whats taking southern california kaiser so long???:mellow:

I live in Fresno and until last month, Fresno only offered the open bypass surgery. We finally got a surgeon in Fresno that will do the laparoscopic bypass and lap band. It's my understanding that previous to last month, patients in my area had to travel to the bay area to get the lap band done.

Maybe So. Ca. Kaiser hasn't gotten a surgeon that will do the lap band yet. I would suggest bringing that up with your PCP or even contacting the surgeon's office in your area to see what they recommend. Maybe you could travel up north? Or, Maybe they are in the process of getting a surgeon in your area?

Good luck, I hope something works out for you!

My roomie is considering LB through Kaiser So-Cal, but has a lower BMI (38 I think) and a couple comorbities. She saw her PCP last week, but it was an unsuccessful visit as her PCP was not a fan of LB or any bariatric surgery at all. However, she did mention that Kaiser So-Cal recently approved LB as a surgery, but that it takes a lot to be able to have it done. Good luck with your PCP, and be stubborn - it's your right to pursue anything that will help your health! I know my roommate is frustrated, luckily our work is changing insurances at the end of the year so there is some hope for her, but man I just wish she didn't have Kaiser right now. :thumbdown:

Ok so this is the deal, I had a PCP appt last Thursday @ Kaiser Woodland Hills, I made him send a referral to Health Education (hes cool like that) cool.gif. Anyways so I waited this long holiday weekend and made my calls this morning. I called the Health Education Dept, made sure that they received my referral and had them set me up for labs, Im having that done first thing in the morning, and then they (Hlth Edu Dept) Will call the Panorama City (The Valley) Kaiser and have my orientation set up. Which is 6 looooooonnnnnggggg months!!!!They also said that they do cover Gastric Bypass (Hell To The Naw):) Lap Banding, and the Gastric Sleeve. So thats where I am in this long journey, even though they are little bitty baby steps :blushing: I believe South Bay Kaiser is the other place where classes are held. The bottom line is, Yes Kaiser does cover the Banding, you just gotta stay on them and it will be at least 6 month I guess give or take a few days... Hope this helps Ill give the play by play as I get it

Boopie

Ok I got my orientation day... Drum roll please.... OCTOBER 20th :tongue2:

Finally the ball is rollin.. Kinda slow, but its rollin. They did say that I can call periodically 2 c if any one has cancelled, but classes are held once a month and seats only 60 people. So Im gunnin for a Sept class if Im lucky...I guess u can say Im ok with Kaiser's process since all of this started only 8 days ago when I received my referral,took my labs and got my orientation date. Now if only the 6 month pre-op etc was faster:smile2:

Boop

You will be amazed at how quickly the time flies during that 6 months. Then you get the call that they are scheduling you for surgery and everything goes into high gear.

:biggrin:Hello everyone,

So today was my PCP appt, and I got a referral (YAY :lol:) but my PCP told me all Kaiser does is Gastric Bypass (nothing else :tt2:). She recommended that I do the Optifast diet, but I refussed and started crying. I am so frustrated with my weight, and then she goes and asks me to do Optifast (arghhhhhh :biggrin:) So, now my question if to Boopie (HEY GIRL :cool2:) Who told you Kaiser did the lap band?? I need your help girl ... I'm getting really irritated and and about to chop off this fat myself ... lol ....

I'm really starting to hate Kaiser !!!

Update ladies.... Well my orientation date has now been pushed up... :thumbup:Thanks to me and my persistance.. I called to see if they had any cancellations for this comming Monday, and they did!!!! Yay!!! You know Im on that phone everyday. The nurse was like "Havent I talked to you a coulple of times?" and I was like "Um yeah..." and he was like " Okay come on in Monday and Ill give you the orientation packet if you havent received your in the mail" I was like " OMG are you serious?" So Ill be showing up for the seminar @ 3Pm till 5 pm. I sure hope everything else moves this smoothly:laugh: Im so freakin happy:lol:

Boop

Ok, OK ..... update girlies

So, I called the options program (Thanks Boopie) and they told me Southern California Kaisers are now doing the lap band, bypass and sleave(spelling ???) It's a fairly new thing and not alot of DOCS know about his (this explains why my MD said they only do bypass) ...anyway .... BUTTTTT .... there is a BIG butt (bigger than mine:biggrin:) different regions have different qualifiers. In my region (that's what they kept calling it:blink:) you have to have a BMI of 50 ... 50...Who the hell has a BMI of 50??? I have never seen or heard anyone one on this forum with such a high BMI...anyway .... mine is 48 so I guess thats close enough, plus i had gestational diabetes with my 2 pregnancies that required insulin ... so even though it was horrible, this might help me out ... I should know by Friday .. the girl from the bariatric program said she would know by Friday ... soooooo heres hoping yall .... wish me luck

I have another question ... what is PBing and DH and all of these other abreveations on here ...just curious :)

Well Im not too sure what PB'ing is, Im curious as well....:rolleyes2: Any way I believe that DH means Dear Husband, at least that's what it means on the TTC (Trying To Conceive)site, yeah I have problems with that too.. Maybe its my weight huh??? Any ways hope that helped:smile2:

Boop

So heres my latest entry... So I went for my orientation @Kaiser in Panorama City. (In the Valley) anyways as already told, the class was generally geared for the bypass and the sleeve, but a few topics were discussed about the band, like how it not that great a choice, and how not too much weight is loss yadda yadda yadda..... But the real whack shhhhh was the BMI of 50!! That's right..... Can you believe that!!!! What about all this stuff about BMI of 40. With no co-morbiditiesand under 40 with at least two co-morbidities??? What the french-toast??!!!! And I made sure to double check the BMI range, and yes its true.... What am I to do??? Wait a minute Im gonna call them now to triple check on the BMI. Ok well the Educational Nurse said no you dont exactlly have to be at a 50 BMI everyone is different. So what happenes next is that I have to meet with the director of bariatrics, Then the classes start on 11/3. Now mind you, the bariatric director desides if this is a good idea or not... So many hoops to jump through... :)

PBing...... Some type of "Spit Burping" I assume.

Better late than never with the explanation huh??? PS Sometimes Kaiser, SUCKS!!!!!:)

PB - Productive Burp

I believe from what I have read its burping and you food comes back up but Im not yet banded so I could be off a bit.

-Update-

Well I got a call from the bariatrics dept @ Kaiser Baldwin Park (Options Program) and <<< HORAY>>>> I was approved even though my BM wasn't 50 ... Like I had stated before I did have complications during my 2 pregnancies with hypertension/diabetes/insulin ...ect... so they approved me into the program so now I have my orientation in NOVEMEBER ..I know ... really far out ... but whatever ... I put myself on waitlist. Plus I will keep bugging her !! Its going to be a longgg process but I am so ready for it. I have already lost 14lbs (but not the good way) I am about to be separated and well the stress and all is making this losing weight thing a piece of cake right now for me. I cant eat !! But anyway ... at least now I can consentrate on me!!

CONGRATS goes out to Trompuda.... I told you everything will be cool. My Orientation was last night and yes they said %) BMI im over it. I wont fully know until I talk to the Bariatric Director, sometime this month or next month. The pro-op classes start Nov 3rd. Its a long process, but as we all can see evryones process and waiting time is different.:)