Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Kaiser Southern California

Nothings much new with me.... Just a lot of waiting and getting restless:Yawn:. So my 6 month classes will be starting on the 27th of Jan:thumbup:. But..... the classes at Panorama City are every Tuesday.. From Jan 27 till the last class on July 7th. Wow!!!!! Every week!!!!. So. Cal is way different than No. Cal., Seems like No. Cal. have fewer classes, lucky them:smile2:.

Hello,

Happy New Year to you!!! My orientation is on Jan 19th also in Panorama City, after that I have to go every monday for 6 months also but I was told I am able to attend classes here where I live, so I don't have to drive all the way to Panorama. I can't wait to begin!

You know, I have been reading some of the postings here and what I have learned is that at some point ( through Kaiser Options classes) they want for you to be able to lose 20% of your initial weight let me ask you this, what happens if you are not able to lose the weight? No surgery? What happens if you lose the weight then, does your chance of qualifying for the surgery slims down?

What do you think?

Now see, thats the catch 22 that Im confusesd about....:cursing: No one has told me. . Becaise you dont wanna loose too much weight, because your BMI will be lower, then again I think they want you to loose weight so surgery wont be a hassle (Getting through the fat:eek:). Plus I think they wanna make sure you know how to stick to structure, with a well balanced meal, making sure this is not a "quick fix" but a tool to a healthier lifestyle.. Oh it sounds like Im a poster child huh???:cursing: Well this is my take on the "to loose or not to loose" topic.

Up here (Nor Cal) I have been told that you cant get the surgery until you lose the recommended weight. Also even if you lose enough weight where your BMI is lowered you will still get the surgery. I am not sure if its the same down south.

My BMI is 40, I am so skeptical about this whole thing. I guess I just have to be more confident. I remember a friend of mine, she was like 270 so she had to gain weight which she did she was like 298 at the time of her surgery through her insurance ( HealthNet) she ended up having her surgery with Dr. Fobi, she did lose a lot, she was down to 168 at one point. So this is my point, while other people gain weight to qualify, so how come Kaiser wants you to lose the weight to qualify for the surgery? Is that a catch? I mean, that's pretty much testing one's ability to diet and lose the weight instead of surgery, ok I do agree with the medical aspect of it, about getting through the fat.... but don't they operate on obese pregnant women as well? C-sections? I had mine c-section when I was really huge! I was just fine through the fat. I mean....I don't know what's up, I am afraid that right now with my BMI of barely ( I know it's a shame to say barely but it's right there at the entrance door) 40 If I lose 20% of my weight then they will just tell me oh well, you can exercise and diet on your own darling, next! Then again maybe I am completely wrong, any of you girls that have been or are currently enrolled into Options Kaiser, what do you ladies think or know about this issue? Thank you any input helps!

What you think?

Edited by rrsantacruz
better explanation

I agree with Minxz. Kaiser's up north may do things differently, but I doubt you have anything to worry about. From what I've read from everyone going thru Kaiser (and other insurance's), they want you to lose a certain amount of weight to show that you are serious about making a lifestyle change. If you don't lose the percentage of weight required, then they aren't convinced that you are ready to have surgery.

The surgeon takes your heaviest weight documented. Even if you lose below your 40 BMI, they will still preform surgery.

Wait until you start going to the classes and find out for sure though! I do remember thinking the same things you are.

Good Luck to you!

Additionally they want you to lose the weight to shrink your liver. They want to do the surgery laproscopically and the instrument used to lift your liver only comes in one length. If your liver is to enlarged to lift out of the way with the instrument they cant complete the surgery. (at least that is the explanation the gave at orientation... I have some questions lol)

Hello everyone. I am too going through the process of having the surgery. I attended the orientation in December of 08 at the Kaiser Bldg in Carson and was placed on track 44. I made phone calls to see if i could get another date and wasn't able to on my own. I did receive a phone call yeaterday 1-16-09 by the administrator over options indicating that a new track was beginning in Feb on the 23rd. I was happpppppy:thumbup:. I was scheduled for the 24 week class in Dec to start APRIL. I wasn't too happy. I began to look at other weightloss plans at Kaiser and signed up for the Optitrim program. But now I am not going to do that program. I am excited. I cant wait to get the process going. I have enjoyed reading all of your blogs and I am going to keep in touch as I go through this process. Have a good day all.:)

Edited by ailegna5656

Hello,

I had a gastric band placed in Mexico and had to have it removed. Since Kiaser has accepted me into the bariatrics program but it is a a long process. I don't want the gastric bypass when the sleave is a better option as far as as quality of life. Just adding my 2cents.

Hello Boopie:

I see you started class back in January. I was wondering how your classes were going. I will begin my classes on the 23rd of February. Good luck to you

Well let's see, classes are just that... Going... :eek: Im almost finished. Today I have a class and after today, I have 6 weeks left!!! YAY!!! Ive almost lost all my required weight, I've been up and down a few weeks in between but Im trying.. :wub: All class/homework assignments have been turned in, along with my weekly activitytracker/food charts. Whewwww.. :smile: So its just a matter of time. The biggest decision I now have to make is do I want the band or the sleeve?? Im stuck:unsure: Help!!!!!

If I could have had the choice between the band or the sleeve, I probably would have the sleeve personally. Kaiser here doesn't offer it. Just bypass or band here.

This is a choice you have to make - just research them both the most you possibly can before you make your decision.

Good luck to you!

By the way, I'm not unhappy with my band at all!

Well let's see, classes are just that... Going... :eek: Im almost finished. Today I have a class and after today, I have 6 weeks left!!! YAY!!! Ive almost lost all my required weight, I've been up and down a few weeks in between but Im trying.. :wub: All class/homework assignments have been turned in, along with my weekly activitytracker/food charts. Whewwww.. :smile: So its just a matter of time. The biggest decision I now have to make is do I want the band or the sleeve?? Im stuck:unsure: Help!!!!!

Hello Ms Boopie .. it's been forever!! I'm almost done. My last class is on June 18th. YAY .. I already signed up for the lap band at the Harbor City kaiser. The only bad thing is that the wait time is 4-6 months to get it there. But they are the only one's doing it. Also they did the pre-op test and I was Vit D defficient and H.Pylori positive. .. can you believe that. Well I'm done with the nasty meds, and have to be re-checked on June 14th. I am so happy to hear that you have lost most of your weight. I am stuck at 15lbs lost. I have 12 more to go and cant seem to take them off!@!!! Its so frustrating!!

Hey girl hey!!!!

How have you been?!?! I know what you mean by the last pounds not wanting to come off!!! Its been a total struggle but I have 6 more weeks to make it happen.. Im so afraid of what will happen if I cant loose these last 9 pounds myself, are they not gonna go through with the surgery??? Anyways, I almost forgot you were two weeks ahead of me. 4-6 months of waiting time?? Thats whack!!! But hey we waited this long huh?? So what other locations do you have, or is Harbor UCLA the only one??? I could of sworn there was somewhere else as well. Well as stated before Im contimplating on The Sleeve vs. The Band... Any suggestions from anybody???

Hey girl hey!!!!

How have you been?!?! I know what you mean by the last pounds not wanting to come off!!! Its been a total struggle but I have 6 more weeks to make it happen.. Im so afraid of what will happen if I cant loose these last 9 pounds myself, are they not gonna go through with the surgery??? Anyways, I almost forgot you were two weeks ahead of me. 4-6 months of waiting time?? Thats whack!!! But hey we waited this long huh?? So what other locations do you have, or is Harbor UCLA the only one??? I could of sworn there was somewhere else as well. Well as stated before Im contimplating on The Sleeve vs. The Band... Any suggestions from anybody???

Ok so this is what I have been told so far, now that we have to decide where to go.

UCLA - only does the RNY and SLeeve (wait time 2-4 months)

Pacific Bariatrics/San Diego- only does the RNY ( they are working on getting the OK to do Lap Bands for Kaiser, they do them, just not for Kaiser) (wait time 4-6 weeks)

Kaiser Harbor City- Only does the Lap Band (wait time 4-6 months)

I was debating about the SLeeve as well. I dont think I want such an invasive procedure. The good thing with Kaiser is that if for some reason the Lap band becomes eroded or something happens with it, they allow you to get another type of bariatric surgery be it the RNY or Sleeve. Both my cousins have had the lap band and have done wonderfully so i am sticking to that one. Plus if for any reason we start eating like heifers again with the sleeve you can streatch your stomach and then youre in the same boat again. Girl you have a tough choice. Good Luck,

Edited by Trompuda
missing info