Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Any one not have pre-op diet???

I haven't been banded yet, but my doc doesn't require a pre-op diet mostly at the nutritionist's urging as she feels it isn't really healthy for you. He does make men do it as their livers tend to be more fatty. It seems every doc has different preferences.

I understand that everyone here feels comfortable with their docs, otherwise we wouldn't let them operate on us...but I've already lost 15 lbs, and I haven't even had the surgery yet. By the time I get the surgery on october 8th, I'll have lost between 30 and 40 lbs...so I will get to my goal weight an awful lot faster. 6 weeks of Optifast is harsh, but it's a test...for me. In this time I can show myself that I can do this 100% with no doubt in my mind at all. I've done 6 weeks of a liquid diet...a month of post op won't be hard at all. I'm thankful for the pre op diet personally.

I don't have a special pre op diet, but had to loose 5% of my weight. I've gone well beyond that. I've lost 26 pounds (my surgery is tuesday). To me 6 weeks of Optifast is a living hell. I couldn't do it. But loosing a percentage of your weight, yea I can do that. And I only have 1 week of liquids post op. I've done that to see if I can post op. Then I graduate to purees for two weeks. Again I've experimented with it. And it wasn't bad.

Personally, I've seen others in my September group, who've started this liquid diet and loose a lot of weight the first week, then drop right off, to one or two pounds a week. So maybe you won't drop 30 or 40 pounds. Sorry to burst your bubble.

Good luck with your surgery, and I'm glad you are happy with your program. I'm absolutely loving my program, my dr's and the rest of the staff in my bariatric team.

Teri

Mornin' Ladies,

I haven't been scheduled with the Doc yet - but I've been reading the forum and started watching what I eat in the hopes that if they normally would put me on a pre-op diet, I'll have lost some weight, de-fatted my liver (if it is fatty) and gotten into a good walking and working out routine before my surgery.

I am working on losing 10 - 20 lbs prior to surgery. I'm a bit concerned that I'll lose some of my progress in the weight room because I have to lay off the gym for a while after the surgery, but I'll check that with my doc to be sure. I figure whatever I can do to get healthier before the surgery would be good.

Thanks to all of you for sharing your experiences - this newbie is very grateful!:thumbup:

Personally, I've seen others in my September group, who've started this liquid diet and loose a lot of weight the first week, then drop right off, to one or two pounds a week. So maybe you won't drop 30 or 40 pounds. Sorry to burst your bubble.

Good luck with your surgery, and I'm glad you are happy with your program. I'm absolutely loving my program, my dr's and the rest of the staff in my bariatric team.

Teri

5 weeks today and 27 lbs. gone already, and my surgery isn't even until october 8th. :thumbup: 6 weeks of Optifast is difficult, but I know what I'm in for after surgery, and I am so much closer to my goal. It feels pretty good.

WTG Birchmoon. I lost 29 pounds pre op. I just watched what I ate, and worked out.

Teri

My wife and daughter had to do the pre-op diet but I am told that I do not need to. We have the same surgeon and he told us that since my BMI is 40, he doesn't need me to shrink my liver but because my wife and daughter have higher BMI's, they need to. My daughter lost 8 lbs and my wife lost 11 lbs.

My wife and daughter had to do the pre-op diet but I am told that I do not need to. We have the same surgeon and he told us that since my BMI is 40, he doesn't need me to shrink my liver but because my wife and daughter have higher BMI's, they need to. My daughter lost 8 lbs and my wife lost 11 lbs.

If I was you and to one big support group for each other I would go on the preop diet with them and get a head start.

Hi Brandy - sounds like sage advice. My daughter has allready been banded (last Thursday) and my wife will be banded tomorrow morning. I need to play nurse for several weeks while they recover and I am scheduled for banding on 10/29. They have about 347 pounds of Optifast left so I'll be able to do it even without my doctor's orders. Thanks again for the wisdom. Congrats on nearing the half way point!!!!

I had to do a 10 day liquid diet and I have 2 weeks post op, of what I call *modified* liquids..I get 8oz of Protein supplement and I can have Soup (has to be able to go through a straw...hello pureed onion soup!) and I can have oatmeal/malt o meal. Then I graduate to 2 weeks of mushy food.

I lost about 15 pounds in 10 days, and now I'm on day 16 (four days post op) and I'm only down 17. Gained 5 right after surgery.

Every doctor has different programs, I don't believe it makes one better than the other...I do wonder about folks who are given no direction at all.

Maybe it's just me, but I got this little feeling reading this thread that this whole process is some sort of competition? No one has to prove anything, we all got here b/c we eat too much. If I thought I could live on liquids alone, I wouldn't have had surgery. As it stands, since it's required by my doc, I do it. Otherwise, I would be face first in a plate of Pasta.

We all do the best we can, and I'm sure everyone thinks their doctor is looking out for their best good...good luck to all.