Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Still hungry and no restrictions

HELP, I was banded on Aug. 5th and the first week I was home I thought this was the best thing on earth. I wasn't hungry I could eat my broth and juices, Water and didn't feel pressure or pain. Now I'm beginning to wonder if the doctor left my band out!!!

I can eat anything I want and never get full. Its almost like I haven't had anything done at all. What is wrong? I know I haven't over eaten and stretched my pouch, or I dont think so. I haven't been sick. When I get hungry I can eat just like I use to, or at least almost the same size portions. I dont feel like I have any restrictions at all.

Some of my friends that have had it done say they can't eat much more than a table spoon or so when they moved from soft foods to regular foods but even in the hospital I could eat more than they did. My meals in the hospital were a cup of Jello, a bowl of broth, a glass of apple juice and some hot tea, I was able to eat it all at one time with no problem.

How do I know if something is wrong with my band?

well it sounds like nothing is wrong to me. when you first get the band there is little to no restriction. you dont get any until you get a fill done and so on. i was told i will be hungery up to my fill which is 6 weeks from tomorrow. since thats when i get my band. if you think there is something wrong you can always call your doctor. and remember its differnt for just about everyone. you might need 2-3 fills before you get the restrictions you are looking for.

I could eat like crazy until I got three fills (i.e. proper restriction). Now I can't eat much at all. You will have to wait until you get some fills to notice much difference.

I could eat anything I wanted two weeks after surgery and thought it wasn't working but after I got my first fill it made a big difference - they want your stomach to heal for 6 weeks before you feel too much restriction - just wait and it will be fine.

I have read what you have all said and it makes me feel so much better. I too could eat and not feel anything different. But I have not yet got my first fill. So thank you all for the info it has helped me.

Good luck to you all.

I agree, I was banded on the 1st of August and now can eat quite a lot (though I don't). I also get hungry much faster than when I first got my band. And that's a sign that your stomache is healing, which is what it's supposed to be doing post op and prior to your first fill.

My Dr's post op notes warns his patients that in the 3rd or 4th week after their op, their appetite returns to close to pre-op levels and they will be surprised by how much they can eat. But he also suggests not eating until you are full, eating slowly so your body has time to register it's satisfied and then only eat again when you're actually hungry again. So I only eat a cupful or so, and won't eat until my stomache is growling again.

When you start getting fills is when you actually will start to feel restriction. Hopefully, with enough fills, you get to your 'sweet spot' where you only feel as hungry as those first few days post op -in other words, not really hungry at all! So just remember this is a long game, and it's not all going to happen for us in the first month after surgery. I completely know the frustration you're feeling right now, because I've had it too, but I'm reminding myself all the time that the fills will help, and not to lose hope.

OMG! Thank you, thank you for this post.......I thought I was the only one that was feeling like this. I am hungry alot now (banded 8/12/08) and I was thinking that I was failing somehow and that I was doing something wrong. I have had no problems eating anything really, I havent been gorging myself but since getting on regular food, I have regained 3 lbs. I am scheduled for my first fill on 9/18/08, I hope I do not gain anymore by then!!! Thanks for the affirmation.

Hugs,

Judie

I think we are all in the same spot. I was feeling the same way and was wondering if there was a band in or not! I have been hungry and can eat almost anything if I wanted to. I have been super hungry, but diligent about making sure I am not over eating! Hard to do at this point.

I can't wait to get my first fill next week! A bit of restriction will be great!

I was banded the 5th, too. And am in the same spot. Can eat quite a bit. That is good news. It means that the swelling is down in your stomach. You are healing well! My dr. office said it is not unusual at all to gain weight in weeks 3 and 4. In fact, most people do! I haven't gained, but I am not losing either. My first fill is on the 5th of Sept. when is yours?

Thank you SO much for this post! The clinic where I went has been great about most things but I must say this is one thing they failed to discuss. I think it was mostly due to the fact that they do mostly bypasses instead of the band. In all my literature from them they state to eat no more than half a cup. The last few days I have been thinking I did something horribly wrong because I want way more than half a cup. I have never overdone it but I felt tremendous guilt for eating a full cup of food and still not be full! I was also feeling guilty because every day friends and family ask how much I have lost. I hate telling them absolutely nothing for almost 2 weeks. Anyway, thanks for letting me know I am normal (at least concerning the band).

This is why I love this website because it helps me in so many ways. I am not prepaired to deal with this stage in a few weeks and don't have to stress about it.

WOW! After reading these posts I feel so much better. I am hungry and not sceduled for my first fill until 9/11. I thought the doc did not put the band on. BUT I did see the band on the Xray. LOL

Dr. also told me to eat or drink more portien.

I was told half a cup as well. So the way I figure it, if I am going to get liquids in I am trying a time table. Drink Water, wait half an hour have a "meal" wait an hour. And repeat...the cycle is about 2 hours and so that times the suggested 5 mini meals makes for 10 hours of eating. I don't know if this helps but it seems to get me a little bit on track because I am way hungry now and don't have a fill for a few weeks.

Any other tips?

I've been buying pears, apples and strawberries (in season here atm YUM) and what I've doing is drinking a cup of Water before my meal, eating my cupful of Protein and veg (I've gone up from a half cup), then if I get hungry before my next scheduled meal, I'll have fruit. I've done that this week and lost a kilo, after gaining last week while feeling starved all the time. Now I'm hardly ever hungry.

Feels wierd feeling full almost all the time but still losing weight, but I think it's the kinds of food you eat that help.

I've been buying pears, apples and strawberries (in season here atm YUM) and what I've doing is drinking a cup of Water before my meal, eating my cupful of Protein and veg (I've gone up from a half cup), then if I get hungry before my next scheduled meal, I'll have fruit. I've done that this week and lost a kilo, after gaining last week while feeling starved all the time. Now I'm hardly ever hungry.

Feels wierd feeling full almost all the time but still losing weight, but I think it's the kinds of food you eat that help.

I agree Lellow! I find when I eat the 'hard' Proteins first (mainly fish for me at this stage), I am full longer. What you eat really does make a difference as to how soon you'll be hungry.