Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Baby Bariatrics?

These people have got to be insane! Implant a band on a 7 day old baby?

That is sick!

How can you determine that that child will have a weight problem that early?

I have always been big, but not from the start... We all know 'big' babies that grow up to be quite thin. My niece had rolls and rolls of fat as an infant. She is now quite thin and lovely. My son was getting rather heavy before he reaching puberty... both sides of the family are rather large. Most of us could use the band. I have been banded. More on that later. My son is now well within weight charts parameters..

I hope the AMA or FDA or whoever can shut down a practice like this one. It's outrageous! This is unnecessarily mutilating helpless children! I am crying for those who will have to suffer this procedure... what will happen to their stomachs down the road?

Like I said earlier, I have been banded. I reached my one year with the band last month. This has been the best thing I could have done for myself! But I am 53 years old. I have tried many, many times to lose the weight, but to no avail. I do think older teens who have been overweight since early childhood should be banded, if ALL other methods have been unsuccessful. but only after a good psych exam... not a quick cursory one. I think they should have at least one year of therapy afterwards. This is a major life altering change... I am not sure if most would be mature enough to handle it... Look at all the difficulties WE have as adults dealing with it...

I sincerely hope that these infants will have someone to stand up for them against this inappropriate 'medical care'. THIS IS JUST WRONG!

Katja

Katja,

It would be outrageous if it was legitimate. This is a joke. Nobody is banding babies, or doing liposuction on them.

I got a chuckle out of it. I especially liked this part:

Employment Opportunities

If you are an attractive, single female between the ages of 18 and 25 and looking for an exciting career as a medical assistant, please contact us to arrange a personal interview with Dr. Jeffery.

Ugh! No! Maybe meant to be funny but it is sad. Scary to think about how fat our society has become and how obsessed with it. Scary for our children. Would never want mine to see that site. Yet another idea to give them an eating disorder and not accept themselves. Baby fat is acceptable and adorable.

I can see how one might think it funny though.

Too funny!! I love the qualification question. Simple and to the point. :-D

OMG...I am sitting here at work, LMAO. I think the funniest part is the disclaimer.

TOO FUNNY. And the retouched pics...like it!

It's totally a joke...

Well shame on me for not reading every word of this site... I think it's a horrible joke.

Our society today is capable of anything! The reality of something like this occuring grows every day.

The sad part is that there will be some who would actually do this....

LMAO Think it's too late for me to get some of that Giraffe-X? I could stand to gain a couple of inches.

I dunno...but I'm checking the Gazelle Milk they offer.

After all - have you ever seen a fat gazelle? Methinks not.

While meant to be a "joke", I don't think it's funny. There are parents out there that would do that to their child in a heartbeat. I PERSONALLY met a mother in Austin years ago who thought her infant (8 months) was too fat, and didn't like the rolls of fat on her baby's legs, so she put her on a "diet". She was practically starving the child. She was only allowed to eat veggies and skim milk. Formula wasn't an option. I suspected the mother was anorexic, so her aversion to body fat was ingrained. That said, this is a dangerous website. I find it appalling and very disturbing, joke or not......

Did the woman not go to the doctor?

Was CPS called? good grief....

I think the website was hilarious, myself. If someone gets plastic surgery for their babies, it won't be because of this website.

It will because those people are sick and need help.

Come on, even if there was a parent who would want a lapband for an infant, no board certified surgeon would perform the operation. And there are no lapband small enough for a baby. How can anyone believe this site is real?