Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Shh.. Can you keep a secret??

Ok- I am debating on telling anyone at work. They are very much a close knit group & if I go into surgery one day- come back & very sore. (not knowing that i had surgery) They're gonna ask.. Are you ok?? 1) I am very quiet about my personal life at work. I am very sure that they'd be supportive. But, I kind of don't want them to know because I don't want the questions of - How much have you lost YET!!?? I know that they would be trying to be supportive by asking that question too!! LOL

It's going to be VERY easy to keep it from my own family - I don't see them that often - except for holidays. And a few b-day parties here & there. Thats it!! (maybe 4-6 times a yr)

So- I guess my thing is; should i "make-up" another excuse for the few days that I would need off?? -trying to plan this- LOL

My husband is VERY supportive about this decision. Actually, he is the one who asked me if I had thought about it & we went to the seminar together!! =)

Jenn

I am very close to my coworkers too, but I didn't tell them about my surgery. It's not very hard to hide it. I just took a few days off for personal reasons and no one really questioned it. I didn't tell many people at all, mainly because I just didn't want to be judged.

I didn't tell anyone until after I had surgery. I am very open, but didn't want to hear, "why are you doing that?" Once it was done and the weight starting coming off, I didn't care who knew, in fact if anyone asks now...I openly talk about it and encourage anyone to go for it if they have even considered it.

Keep it to yourself! Sometimes when you have something sooo special (like the band) it is best to savor it by yourself for a while. IMHO

Too funny about the gallbladder surgery excuse. If you have to tell the bosses that your having surgery, just state that, and get a doctors note for it. Until you feel comfortable telling them don't do it. I told my some of my family and my close friends. I am retired which is good, I may go back to work part time when I lose the weight. Have to make money for new clothing LOL. But I wouldn't broadcast it to the world. Good luck

It's personal and you can tell or not tell as you see fit. I'm a teller, but that's just me.

You have to make that decision based on your situtation. I told several people that I work with. I work at a church, so they are constantly praying for you and honestly concerned about your well being. That is support I need(ed).

I understand your concerns ... I decided to tell my boss and my assistant. My boss because I was concerned that if something went wrong and I was out longer than expected, I did not want to explain then. And, my assistant because I know she would be concerned with the doctor's appointments, etc. I had surgery on Friday, was back for a 1/2 day on Monday, then all day on Tuesday. I told others who asked that I had the flu, it was flu season and no one asked any questions.

Good luck to you, whatever decision you make will be the right one for you.

CynthiaMac do you have a fairly sedentary (ie desk type) job?

If you don't mind me asking. I'm getting surgery and have to be back in nursing school on Tuesday..

Hey Carrie C! I'm not sure how to handle my 1st clinical for this semester. I'm sure I'll be good fairly quickly, but I'm worried about staying hydrated. They frown on us doing ANYTHING "personal" (like using the restroom LOL) while we are on clinical. How did you handle that, or did you manage to get your surgery done while school was out?

Thanks, Cynthia!

I am proud of my band! I told my boss and quite a few of my co-workers prior to the surgery. I am a terrible liar...trying to hide it would have been impossible for me.

Now that I am down 3 sizes in clothes, my co-workers who didn't know are approaching me and asking me if I am on a new diet plan (hehe). They all see the pounds falling off of me and want to know what I am doing.

I openly tell them and even show them my scars and port site if they are interested. A handful of my co-workers are now interested in getting the band for themselves!

Everyone is different though and I can totally understand the other side of the fence where you would want this to be a private matter. Do whatever makes you more comfortable!