Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Shh.. Can you keep a secret??

Thanks for all of the great replies!!

I am really enjoying site for all of the great support & feedback!!

I think that I will keep it to a minimum at work- & my family will just have to wonder!! LOL

I'm not telling anyone at work. Period. A co-worker had the Gastric Bypass procedure and the guys at work were somewhat supportive to his face. They refer to him as "Gutless" behind his back. That made my decision for me.

Wow tas what kind of snake pit do you work in? That's immature and harsh.

Hey Carrie C! I'm not sure how to handle my 1st clinical for this semester. I'm sure I'll be good fairly quickly, but I'm worried about staying hydrated. They frown on us doing ANYTHING "personal" (like using the restroom LOL) while we are on clinical. How did you handle that, or did you manage to get your surgery done while school was out?

Yes, I got lucky and had mine done in May. I didn't have to take any classes in the summer, so I had all summer to recoperate. But I know what you mean, they don't want us doing ANYTHING either, even breathing, LOL. When is your surgery? If your school is like mine, we don't start clinicals until October. So if you are scheduled soon and don't have clinicals for awhile, you will probably be ok. Have you thought about talking to the instuctor? Maybe they will be a little sympathetic. (None of mine know yet). How long do you have left in school?

I'm a senior, I have this semester and next. I tried to have my band done earlier, but it didn't work out! We don't even have our clinical assignments yet but my first clinical day will be Sept 8 9 or 10. I'll just hope for the 10th. I've thought about telling the dean and my instructor but have to make sure my surgeon will give me a release or I'll be in deeep deeeep hooey if you get my drift. I honestly think if I CAN tell my dean/instructor they'll be supportive and glad I'm taking steps to control my obesity. And I'm thinking it will only get easier as the semester goes on. This semester i have peds and then mid Nov management...that is going to be grueling with 3 clinicals a week. So I have to be ready to go pretty soon here!

Do you have school this fall?

Thanks for all of the great replies!!

I am really enjoying site for all of the great support & feedback!!

I think that I will keep it to a minimum at work- & my family will just have to wonder!! LOL

Let me tell you something...I have been open about me going for the lap band since I first went to the seminar last year. There are two ladies here that had gastic bypass and they didn't tell anyone until they started loosing weight. One of them told me that they regretted not letting anyone know ~ but the girls I work with are very supportive and nosey! They wanted to know what all I have had to do in order to prepare and to make sure that BCBS covered it. NOW ~ the two ladies I work with are working on their 6 month observation and they are going for lap band surgery too. It's like I started a trend~ But it comes down to a personal decision for you. If you feel comfortable, tell them - if you want to wait until you start loosing weight - then wait! It's all how you feel about it. Me personally, I don't mind sharing! :rolleyes:

I only told my family and one friend (I wanted someone non family to talk with about the process). The friend turned out to be very against the surgery so I had only my family.

I did not tell anyone else, even the close group of women I have weekly meetings with. I let them know I had surgery but indicated it was female stuff.

I think that you could not tell and use other excuses for feeling tired and eating funny for a few weeks. (At one meal with people I rarely see I just said I was having dental problems and needed soft food).

Good luck and it is your business, no one elses.

I am getting banded in November and I think I have told everyone that I know. I am sooooo excited. It is your choice and it depends if you think they will be supportive.

I told hubby and daughter. I knew they would be supportive. I like having a little secret all to myself. Some of my friends have noticed my weight loss. I just accept their kind words. My coworkers would not say a kind word to me if it killed them. That could be a clue why I don't talk about my band.

I'm a teller, so I've told everyone. There have been a couple of people who ask "why would you do that", etc. but I've basically said that it's a personal choice and leave it at that. I haven't had anyone push me beyond that....

I didn't tell anybody but my husband accidently let it out to the blabber mouth of the base. She had to tell everyone. I ended up leaving that job 6 months after the surgery. I just saw everyone a few months ago (2 years after the surgery). I am a lot thinner and everyone was very suprised. Especially the blabber mouth. She didn't say a word to me that night. LOL. Females are so fickle.