Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Needing some reassurance and answers!

Hello everybody

I live in Cape Town South Africa and have seen a whole panel of doctors who have determined my suitability. My surgeon seems to be pushing the roux-en-y op but i am leaning more towards the gastric band. But there are so many things i am dubious about...

I am concerned about the constant maintenance. It seems people are forever having fill put in and taken out. It sounds like expensive maintenance and very disruptive. And then the possibility of corrosion or slippage and the gallstone problem??

Anybody have any stats for me? How many people have had to have this replaced, removed, repositioned?

The reason i prefer the sound of lap band over the other is it's not as drastic and is also reversible.

Your comments/reassurances would be much appreciated.:biggrin:

Hello everybody

I live in Cape Town South Africa and have seen a whole panel of doctors who have determined my suitability. My surgeon seems to be pushing the roux-en-y op but i am leaning more towards the gastric band. But there are so many things i am dubious about...

I am concerned about the constant maintenance. It seems people are forever having fill put in and taken out. It sounds like expensive maintenance and very disruptive. And then the possibility of corrosion or slippage and the gallstone problem??

Anybody have any stats for me? How many people have had to have this replaced, removed, repositioned?

The reason i prefer the sound of lap band over the other is it's not as drastic and is also reversible.

Your comments/reassurances would be much appreciated.:biggrin:

my Doctor wanted to do the bypass also , but I refused. I have done alot of research and the lapband seemed to be the right one for me. We won;'t lose as fast but I didn't gain all this weight over nite either. All my friends who had the bypass lost and then gained alot back, my friends with the lapband lost slowly and steadily, but seem to keep it off. Tell your doctor you are determined.

Good Luck to you

Debboe

Hi Debbie

Thanks for your response. I'm a bit afraid of the high maintenance though with the fills and unfills! Seems to b e a constant schlepp!! Have you had problems with this and how about the gall stone problems? How long since you had the procedure and how much have your lost?

Hi Sharzi,

Deciding which surgery is what you want was the hardest part of the whole procedure for me.

My sister had it at 66yrs of age (RNY). I also knew 3 people personally that had this bypass surgery. They were all slim, but I just wasn't sure. I struggled with the decision and I finally decided on the Lap Band. My major reason was I has afraid of my state of health after surgery.

The Lap Band does require upkeep, but those who have the RNY don't get off that easy. Three were rehospitalized for some type of complication. Also, Ive seen they start out great--taking Vits., eating right ect. and after a few years they can start getting careless. With this type of surgery, you have to take good care of yourself. The good part is good good weight loss!!

I didn't fully understand the fill part when I had the LB, it can be frustrating and I've only had two so far. Especially, when you don't know how is going to be doing it and not sure they can!! Weight loss is slow. Would I have traded the LB or not of had it NO WAY!!!

I have lost 30 lbs since I first saw my Dr. and I love it.

I really think once a person takes the time they need to decide what is right for them, and make their own decision--It's what is right for them even if complications should come along, you're losing weight that might kill you, you feel so much better about yourself, and you can smile again just being you. Good Luck and what an adventure!!!

Dear Dicev

Thanks for your well-informed reply. Yes, i must focus on the downsides of both procedures. I too am afraid of the dumping syndrome etc of the R en Y procedure - and as i am a vegetarian an afraid of not being able to get in enough Protein with the intestinal bypass. How long since you had your operation? Any problems with your gall bladder as this seems to be a common side-effect?

Hello !

I have not had a fill yet, because I just got the band put in on Aug 21st. But I don't think it is a frequent as it sounds. They just have to hit the amount right. I think it will all be worth it in the end.

Debbie

Hi Sharzi,

I was just banded in April, and just had my 3rd fill. I've done well with the band with no side effects so far. Doctors seem to like the RNY for "morbidly obese" but I think it should be your choice. I had the same feelings about the invasiveness & risks of the RNY. I had my 1st fill 6 weeks post-op, then another month, then another month. My next fill is in 2 months. My doctor thinks I should be set with this fill or the next. I don't think the maintenance is as bad as some make it sound. I suppose if one has complications, its another story! On the other hand, it is a commitment and your doctor should be monitoring you anyway. At my pre-op appointment, the nurse made it clear that I would be continually monitored by them, and I have to be OK with that.

Good Luck

Barb

Hello !

I have not had a fill yet, because I just got the band put in on Aug 21st. But I don't think it is a frequent as it sounds. They just have to hit the amount right. I think it will all be worth it in the end.

Debbie

Hi Debbie

Which of the bands did you get? I believe there are a number to choose from?

Hi Sharzi,

I was just banded in April, and just had my 3rd fill. I've done well with the band with no side effects so far. Doctors seem to like the RNY for "morbidly obese" but I think it should be your choice. I had the same feelings about the invasiveness & risks of the RNY. I had my 1st fill 6 weeks post-op, then another month, then another month. My next fill is in 2 months. My doctor thinks I should be set with this fill or the next. I don't think the maintenance is as bad as some make it sound. I suppose if one has complications, its another story! On the other hand, it is a commitment and your doctor should be monitoring you anyway. At my pre-op appointment, the nurse made it clear that I would be continually monitored by them, and I have to be OK with that.

Good Luck

Barb

Hello Barb

My BMI is 35 but i have co-morbidities. I'm really not keen about the bypass and am looking at either banding or the vertical stapling of the stomach without the bypass. Which band were you recommended to? I believe there are many to choose from?

I was banded 5/6/08 and I can't answer about the Gall Bladder since I had mine removed before surgery.

Sharzi,

My BMI was just under 37, when I had the surgery. I had co-morbidities too, which was required for insurance approval. I'm surprised your doctor is pushing for the RNY with your low-ish BMI.

I have the 10cc Lap Band made by Allergen. I now know there are other new bands out there, but I don't know the difference. I don't live near any large cities, so there is only one surgical center for the procedure in my area. The Lap Band is the one my surgeon uses. Honestly, I didn't even think about other brands, which sounds stupid to say! :smile2: Maybe your surgeon is not familiar with the Lap Band???