Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Buffet discount for banders

FYI

Just found out that if you have had lap band that you recieve 25% a buffet at any Souper Salads. They said something about having a medical card (never heard of that but i'll ask the dr. about it at my post op)

Really! I love that place. Guess I will ask my surgeon's office about the medical card thing. Did you get one from your surgeon? Does anyone else have one of these? Tell us what it is exactly.

i have a medical card. they said i need to always carry it because if i were in an accident, etc it would have my dr's phone number on it and what type of device (the band) i have inside of my body. they said it's very important to have

About 2 weeks ago I went to the a Chinese buffet and ask for a to go container. Before they charged me I told the cashier that I was not going to fill up the container that I just wanted to get small portions. She told me to get what I wanted to eat then she would charge for what I got. It was very funny because when I opened my container I only had about 8 small shrimp, some mushrooms, and a side of salad. They could not believe I was just going to eat that, the cashier called another girl who works there, they both looked at my food and then starting talking in their own language. They only charged me $3.00. I only ate half of what I had in my to go container. I saved the other half for later.

I'm never going to forget those girls faces when they saw what I was going to eat. It was hilarious!!!!!!

I avoid buffets like a plauge. I have eaten at one ONCE since banding and I ate too much and was miserable. I don't need "all I can eat" I finish way before everyone and the food doesn't taste good enough for the calories involved. IMHO

Now if their was a decent salad buffet here, maybe I could change my rule. I have never been to Souper salad. But it sounds lovely.

Let's just all stay away from buffets. Buffets are not our friends, were not our friends and will never be our friends.

I recieved a card from my surgeon's office once I was approved and scheduled for surgery.

The front says: "Special Dietary Needs"

The back side says: Dear Foodservice Operator:

the bearer ofthis card has undergone surgery and is medically unable to eat full adult portions. Please allow this person to order from a senior or child menu, order a "half portion? or share an entree with another adult. Your cooperation is greatly appreciated.

Christopher Edwards, M.D.

I haven't had to use it yet, but I do carry it with me. Most restaurants are willing to work with you, the ones who aren't maybe you shouldn't go to! LOL

I asked about discounts at a nearby restaurant. The waitress was so nice when I explained why. She said she would ask. The owner said, NO!. She was embarassed and very apologetic. She said she would give anything to do what I did, and wished me all the luck in the world. I've never asked again. But I do have a card. My doctor gave it to me in the hospital before I went home from surgery. It also had medical information should I ever get in an accident. Like being careful with intubation tubes etc.

Well, they postponed it until next wednesday, but they are going to make one or two incisions and pull some of the tubing through, cut off a certain amount and re-attach. Then put it back in.... He said about 5-10 mins total!

I have a similar medical card from my Doc. We are planning a family vacation to Disney in December. We have ordered the meal plan. I called the dining number and explained the situation and they changed my plan from an adult to a child! The person I spoke with said I will have to order from the childs menu...Not a problem.

Hey I have that card and I've included a picture of the front and back of it (hopefully I managed to do it right!)

As to Souper salad, I have never heard of a discount, I'll have to investigate that!

And I had to comment about the whole avoiding buffets and all. That is VERY individual. For some people I can see how that may be a real issue for them - all the food and temptation. And if that is the case for you - avoid them like the plague as it can only cause problems and heartache. But I have to say, I LOVE them because they really work for me if we are eating out (a rarity, but still happens every blue moon)! I can eat as little as I want and pay the same price - like, I don't have to pay a certain price knowing it is WAY too much food and I'll just end up throwing a lot of it out, even if I bring it home in a doggie bag. I can get a few different items and choose my own tiny portion size as opposed to getting the big plate of one item and that is it. I can pick and choose what is healthy. Most restaurants do not allow you to switch out all different parts of the meal. (like if it is a chicken with this and that, you might have a few options to choose from, but you can't ask for something completely different as a side - never mind "I'd actually like four different sides, just tiny portions of each one!") Also, I can always find something that really fits my diet. Most buffets have some vegetables and I can often get steamed carrots or green Beans. They have usually completely overcooked them making them super soft and mushy - a plus for me! I can often find either a baked fish option or a grilled chicken breast option, I can usually find some melon and cottage cheese and nuts (for those of you that are further along, nuts can be a great source of good fats and protein!) at the salad bar, maybe chili at the Soup section, refried Beans at the Mexican section, etc etc. So I even have a few choices of what I might be in the mood for. I can often get unsweetened iced tea to drink as opposed to soda or Water. AND I can do all of this without forcing the rest of my skinny minny family to eat the way I am. Given that I am not starving like I used to be, I actually have no problems eating and enjoying my stuff and don't envy them the other foods. But that is just me....

Good Luck everyone!:biggrin:

OOPS! Forgot the picture of the card -

[ame=http://www.flickr.com/photos/clayverde/2792171311/]Lapband card front on Flickr - Photo Sharing!@@AMEPARAM@@http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3065/2792171311_82b43ff10a.jpg?v=0@@AMEPARAM@@2792171311@@AMEPARAM@@82b43ff10a[/ame]