Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Who has regretted getting the lap band & why?

I wanted to find out the other side of the story...I want to know if you regretted getting the lap band and why?

I would love to hear everyones stories.

Thanks

Oh no way do I regret it!! I was very scared and nervous a few days before surgery and almost talked myself out of it. Am so glad I didn't. It's been the best thing I've ever done for myself. I am down 57 lbs in a little over 2mos. I have more energy, I am off my blood pressure meds, and just feel much better over all.

If you haven't already, grab the book " Weight Loss Surgery with the Adjustable Gastric Band; Everything you need to know before and after surgery to lose weight successfully"... I was banded 8/6 and talked with many beforehand and read at least 5 books... this one helped me really understand the whole thing and has many personal stories in it. It helped me make my decision to have the surgery, was my pre-op information guide, and has been my "bible" ever since.

Yes I think now I regret having it. I was banded June 5, had a blood clot June 23. Was told after blood clot no exercise-which you really need to start. Plus the fact I started out with 3 meals a day 1/4 cup, now I can 1/2 cup. And drink Protein Drinks in between. who couldnt lose weight if you could eat like that. I have not felt enough restriction to my band not to feel hungry. But I am in this knee deep now and I hope eventually it will begin to work.

I have no regrets and love my band but maybe I do have a suggestion.

Perhaps you should do a poll on this topic. It could cover no regrets through regrets covering various things such as . . . wish I had a different wls, wish I had tried traditional dieting more, had a complication, lapband was removed, etc. Just a thought :0)

Yes I think now I regret having it. I was banded June 5, had a blood clot June 23. Was told after blood clot no exercise-which you really need to start. Plus the fact I started out with 3 meals a day 1/4 cup, now I can 1/2 cup. And drink Protein drinks in between. who couldnt lose weight if you could eat like that. I have not felt enough restriction to my band not to feel hungry. But I am in this knee deep now and I hope eventually it will begin to work.

HEY keep your chin up. Sometimes its hard but you will get there. About half way through my band swelled shut because it was like .5 CC's too tight. I had to be completely deflated and had to start 2 weeks of liquid diet. So it was like starting over. i got kind of depressed and off track and gained 10 pounds. After 2 fills, I was good to go. I realized that I was in a downward spiral and that I was just going to go right back where I was before. So I jumped back on the wagon and here I am. I lost that 10 pound and some more.

So just have faith and know that you are the one that controls this, no matter the curve balls you are thrown.

And Shauna, I do not regret getting the lap band. i regret not knowing sooner.

And you might want to ask people who've been banded for more than just a month or two. Ask people who have gotten to restriction, who are experienced with it. Somebody in the beginning can't give a very good opinion of it when they haven't even experienced it fully restricted, unless they had a major rare complication ...

Guest ZenGarden

Yes, I regret having it (banded 17 months ago) and am in the beginning stages of revision surgery (converting to bypass). Everyone is different, and everyone's body reacts differently to the band. You can do everything right, and sometimes your body just does not cooperate. This website is a mixed blessing; majority of the people here lose the steady 1-2 pounds per week and have great success, but there are a few people who have struggled from day one. There is really no way of knowing how your body will adapt until you actualy take the plunge.

Best of luck to you.

I was just banded on monday first I thought i was going to die and still feel that way, the pain is more than I can handle.. I cant do anything but sit around and think about how much pain Im in.. I can't even take a shower yet, and today is thursday., my stomach keeps growling alot, i don't know what thats about if im hungry or just gassy.. then ontop of all this i have the back door trots somebody please advise, i dont think im going to make it.

:smile2::cursing:

I was just banded on monday first I thought i was going to die and still feel that way, the pain is more than I can handle.. I cant do anything but sit around and think about how much pain Im in.. I can't even take a shower yet, and today is thursday., my stomach keeps growling alot, i don't know what thats about if im hungry or just gassy.. then ontop of all this i have the back door trots somebody please advise, i dont think im going to make it.

:smile2::cursing:

just be patient and know that it will get better,everything your feeling i felt as well,and it all goes away,just know there is light at the end of the tunnel,i felt great by the 2nd week,best wishes:thumbup:

Pom - call your doctor and see if they have any suggestions

Shauna - I agree with zengirl. Some people's bodies do seem to have trouble with the band and you never know how your body will react. I believe most people are fine and that the odds are in your favor if you get banded. I am only two months out and all is good for me so far. You might want to view the complications section of this website but remember it is all about that minority of people who have problems so it can be really negative and scary.

Good luck with your decision.

i have only been banded less than a month. but i love it!!!

pom give it til day 15 before you totally hate it around day 10 is usually a great day!!

and to the OP a poll would be a great idea!!!!!

then you can get a better idea.

i'm not sure if "regret" is the right word for what i feel. i just wonder if i knew then what i know now, if i would have still gone thru with it....

the most difficult part of this whole process has been listening to my stomach instead of my taste buds. while my stomach feels satisfied after eating 1 small slice of pizza, my taste buds want more.

if i give in to the taste buds, i end up PB'ing which isn't healthy. if i listen to my stomach, i'm left feeling depressed.

the psychological part of this journey has been the most difficult BUT now that i've been banded for almost 4 months and i'm almost at the halfway point of my weightloss, i wouldn't remove my band unless it was medically necessary!

hope this helped...

I got my lapband surgery on May 22nd and have lost 44 lbs. to date.

I have no regret whatsoever. I love the freedom from eating huge

quantities of food. I love feeling lighter and wearing smaller sizes.

If I had to do it all over again, I would do it without hesitation. Don't

be afraid - it's a smooth recovery if you just follow the instructions of

your clinic.