Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Where's the support?

Hello. I am semi-new to the board. I have a seminar/consult with Dr. Spivak, in Houston on June 17th. I live in Corpus Christi, TX (approx. 4 hours from Houston). I went to my first "live" WLS support group meeting in Corpus tonight. Every person there had the gastric bypass. When I spoke that I was considering the lapband, a few ladies shook their heads negatively. They explained, after I spoke, that they had once considered it but the risk of slippage, etc and regaining the weight were too high. I didn't say much, due to the fact that I was a newcomer. After the meeting, I met with the psychologist (group leader) and he said that it was truly a personal decision (of course) and that the ladies were speaking because they felt, maybe 5 months on, that you will have most of the complications that you were going to have with the RNY. On the other hand, complications can still occur with the band due to erosion and slippage or blow to the stomach trauma....I really felt like an outcast at the support group.

What's your take on this? Shawn

That's just about what you can expect to find. While I do think there are a lot of open minded people here, you're not really going to find many (if any) that will say "You should really get bypass instead". Just like you're not going to find a bypass patient who says, "You should really get a band instead."

This is SUCH a major decision, with a major cost (either to you or your insurance company, or both) with such major ramifications, that you'll just be hard pressed to find somoene who will admit they shouldn't have done it.

Sometimes it comes down to some things that people just CANNOT do. Some people CANNOT have their intestines replumbed. Some people just CANNOT have a foreign object lodged around their internals. Those are black and white issues... there's a WHOLE lot of grey to wade through, if you can get past those.

The key for SUPPORT, I think, is to find people who've made the same choice you have. You'll need to hear the "yes, that happens all the time" responses when you think you're going through something horrible and unique. You'll need to hear the "This is how I got through that" speech a few times too.

Ultimately, to decide which surgery is right for you, you'll just have to do A LOT of research. Asking people whov'e already had one or the other will, usually, get you a biased opinion.

Oh, and get the band -- it's better! =)

Jonathan

Oh, and get the band -- it's better! =)

Jonathan

I agree!

I hear complaints about support groups and information sessions with "mixed" crowds. The majority of the crowd is always gastric bypass. It happens.

What I can say is there is NO WAY I could have gone through getting banded if not for the support I get on this site. I spent months reading, learning, laughing and becoming involved with all these nice folks here. It's all the support I need.

What I had to do "back when" was to decide on banding and move forward as if it were true. I had to own my decision, knowing that I could and would change my mind at any moment. By the time I scheduled the surgery and paid the deposit, I was ready and I knew it.

Sorry you felt left out. You came to the right place when you got home though!

I agree. Just before I got my band, I met a friend of a friend who had lost 125 lbs. with a gastric bypass. She wasn't thrilled with the operation, but she was thrilled with the results. As the months passed, I watched as she kept losing a lot of weight. Now, almost a year later, she has regained about 50 lbs. and despairs because there's nothing she can do about her growing appetite. Her stomach pouch has stretched, and she's stuck. Meanwhile I'm on the slow weight-loss track, and I slip now and again (monthly chocolate madness), but I'm confident I can keep losing gradually and also keep the weight off.

Not all bypass patients gain back any weight, of course. But I've heard of a few others who have. At least with the band, we have the option of getting a new fill.

Here, you'll find that a lot of us considered gastric bypass but decided for lots of reasons to go with the band instead. Some of us weren't nearly heavy enough to qualify for the other surgery. As Jonathan suggested, others hated the idea of permanent change to our GI systems. Other bandsters will weigh in (N.P.I.) with other reasons.

Before you proceed, check on the complications rates for both procedures, including slippage and erosion for the band. You have a right to all the information you can gather. Meanwhile, read old posts here on LBT and on any other weight-loss-surgery boards you can find, including those for bypass patients. Start off by reading the "sticky" posts on the major threads here. If you have any questions, please ask. Good luck!

Shawn, sadly there are WLS patients all over the country having the same experience you are with their surgeons' "support" groups. Our experience is so different from that of RNY patients, it boggles my mind that any practice can still think combined support groups make any sense.

Talk to your doc's office and see if you can start a separate support group for bandsters only. It only takes two of you to make a group, and surely you can find one other bandster from your practice who wants to talk. Our separate support group started with only two or three people and now we regularly get more than a dozen. Still nothing compared to the 50 or more that come to the RNY groups, but who cares? There's simply nothing to be gained by a bandster at those meetings.

If I were you I'd stay away. If your doctor says the meetings are mandatory try to make it clear that RNY meetings do more harm than good for you as a bandster. All you'll see is other people losing weight faster and dealing with totally different physical issues than you are. What on earth would be the point?

I am very fortunate to have a support group where the facilitators are very intentional about having both band and bypass patients talk. During orientation, the two options are presented very fairly and as equally viable options. Currently, our program (in Cooperstown, NY) is running at about 50/50 bypass to band surgeries. It is very encouraging to hear how "enlightened" our team is.

Just to prove a point... the clinical coordinator of our program is a bypass patient, herself. I have **never** seen her try to disuade anyone from a particular surgery unless there is a medical reason to do so. And, on top of that, she went to the Canadian Bandster Bash with me last year and we had a marvelous time!

So... y'all c'mon down to Cooperstown! The program is great AND balanced. A rare gem, indeed!

Hugs,

Hello. i chose the band over the bypass because it is much less invasive and can be reversed. I need to be healthy to raise my girls, but not at the cost of my life. Bypass was just too risky for me!

There is no bandster support group in SE Pocatello, where I live for most of the year. There is a new WLS surgeon who is seriously promoting the bypass (no band) via TV commercials.

My surgeon said to not attend their support groups. Our challenges would be completely different, and he just didn't think I would find any useful information that would apply to my needs as a bandster.

For most of the year, LBT is the only place I can go for support. The folks here are absolutely great.

Our city of Corpus Christi has a pop. of about 300k and no surgeons perform WLS here. The closest is 1 1/2 hours away (which all of the group consisted of their patients). The practice does both lap and gastric bypass. The support group that I attended was small for a city our size, and maybe other banders have been disaapointed at the meetings, as I was last night. Hence no lapbanders.

After 8 months of researching, I feel like I have the facts down. It is entirely a personal choice. I think that most folks, as previously stated, will never say they regret their choice.

Now, I have (2) appointments w/lapband surgeons. I'll listen to their seminars and do a consult. June 17th, in Houston and July6th in Victoria, Tx.

Wish me luck, Shawn

I asked the anesthiologist when I went for my pre surgical consult and he said 50/50 I think the lap band is coming around I agree however the band is more work not taking away from gastric bypass but it is easier to cheat with the band ie. soft foods icecream milkshake candy with the gastric bypass you get dumping symptom HOWEVWr I do not want permanent reconstuction of my insides lap band safer so here I am surgery June 9th

Bandsters should never have to be in support groups with RNY patients...99.9% of them are horrifically ill-informed about the band.

I'd take 100 slippages over premature osteoporosis or chronic anemia or a leak or blown-out stapleline or a stricture that keeps coming back...

Nancy

Hello. I am semi-new to the board. I have a seminar/consult with Dr. Spivak, in Houston on June 17th. I live in Corpus Christi, TX (approx. 4 hours from Houston). I went to my first "live" WLS support group meeting in Corpus tonight. Every person there had the gastric bypass. When I spoke that I was considering the lapband, a few ladies shook their heads negatively. They explained, after I spoke, that they had once considered it but the risk of slippage, etc and regaining the weight were too high. I didn't say much, due to the fact that I was a newcomer. After the meeting, I met with the psychologist (group leader) and he said that it was truly a personal decision (of course) and that the ladies were speaking because they felt, maybe 5 months on, that you will have most of the complications that you were going to have with the RNY. On the other hand, complications can still occur with the band due to erosion and slippage or blow to the stomach trauma....I really felt like an outcast at the support group.

What's your take on this? Shawn

There are lap band surgeons in Corpus now. They do not advertise heavily but they are very good. I know Dr. Spivak personally and he is an excellent surgeon (he was my band surgeon) but if you do not want to trek 4 hours everytime you need a fluoro or a fill I would look into Dr. Glenn Griffin in Corpus....also just to let yall know there is a lap band support program starting up in Corpus and by next month it should be in place. I wish everyone the best of luck out there.

Dr. Craig Chang in Victoria is also an EXCELLENT surgeon, and is completely certified in Bariatric surgery. I don't think Dr. Griffin is yet. I'm 9 months out and doing fabulously. He also took care of my recent gallbladder episode as well. He has a stellar reputation, and excellenat track record. His main office is only an hour and 15 minutes from Corpus Christi (where I live) and he comes to Corpus once a month to see his patients. He has so many patients now, he's going to start coming twice a month very soon. It sure makes it convenient.

I'm delighted that there will be a Bandster support group in Corpus soon. I was rubbed the wrong way when I went to the local group as well. There were only 3 bandsters out of about 30 people. I complained, and Dr. Chang suggested I KEEP GOING and educate the bypass patients, and let them see how successful we can be. I have, and they have backed off, but I would still like a support group more tailored to my needs. Where will they be meeting?

I am very sorry that you had this experience. We have a center of Excellence here in Eugene, Oregon and I love it. They do bypass and LB. When you go to support groups you're seperated into the different surgeries that you have had so you do not feel ousted from the group like this. Our center schedules guest speakers once a month to come in and speak specifically on the LB... Sometimes theres the surgeons themselves to answer questions, dietitians, nutritionists, plastic surgeons, physcologists... all kinds of helpful information. The surgeons from the center of excellence attend the meetings and sit through Q & A plus they take suggestions. Last year our surgeons switched from staples to internal stitches and exterior glue to provide less scaring because the support groups were asking for this and they were able to accomodate.

Sorry to be long winded I just hate for someone to have a bad experience. Please do not take this one time as a general consencus. Keep looking there's lots of wonderful centers and support groups out there.

Of course it's a personal decision, but my band is making me miserable, and I would advise you to check all the strugglers and unhappy people out here before you take on the time, pain and expense. I had a band that worked for ten years, but my doc says "all bands fail eventually" -- they slip, become entrapped, pouches stretch, etc. If I had it to do over... I'd get my first band -- but they don't use that kind anymore, and this one goes from no restriction to misery and nausea with no middle ground. If I can't get help (and I'm cxertainly not getting it from my doctor!), I'm through with this -- and too old for a bypass now.