Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Tell Me What Am I Missing Here?

I was banded February 18th this year, but could not have a fill until I had my port revision surgery May 5th. Since that date, I've had 5 fills. I have a 14 cc band with 7 cc's so far. I had my last fill of 1 cc yesterday at the doctor's office, and now taking in liquids. My stomach has been growling so much!

I've been explaining to my doctor that I find myself hungry between meals, eating more than I believe I should be eating (more than 1 cup). Perhaps I am eating 5 or 6 times a day. I am definitely not full only eating one cup of food. I need more, so I eat more till I am full. He wants me to only have 3 meals a day, with absolutely no snacking in between. I am finding this nearly next to impossible to stick to. So ... I keep running back to get a fill, explaining I am hungry all the time, 2 to 3 hours later, I want to eat! So, I eat! And I snack! I feel guilty.

This is really distressing to me, because I want to follow and do what he says, but he tells me I need to exercise more control, that I am an adult, and I rely on the band too much. He also tells me that other patients have had less fills than I have and are losing weight steadily. So, my problem, I am gathering, is that I lack self-control, and that is why I am always hungry, eating more than I should, and not losing. I eat healthy foods, and have not gained any weight back, despite feeling hungry and eating.

Someone, please tell me ... what is the purpose of the band? If I had really good self-control, then why would I even need the band to begin with? Why do I still struggle with hunger and a constant need to eat? I thought the band was supposed to help me. My doctor says that the band will not work for me if I continue to eat like this. I am completely lost now, and wondering if I should have ever gotten the band in the first place.

what? i'm sorry but if we could 'exercise some control', we wouldnt really need the band in the first place.

everyone is different and has different needs. my suggestion, be firm with the doctor and tell him you need another fill. if he flat out refuses, maybe find another fill doc or someone else to do your fills (there are companies out there).

good luck.

what? i'm sorry but if we could 'exercise some control', we wouldnt really need the band in the first place.

everyone is different and has different needs. my suggestion, be firm with the doctor and tell him you need another fill. if he flat out refuses, maybe find another fill doc or someone else to do your fills (there are companies out there).

good luck.

Hi Losing,

Thanks so much for your response! I really need a lot of encouragement right now, and I really appreciate it very much. You are really nice, and congratulations on your future baby to come! The ultrasound pic is lovely. :)

I know my doctor has my best interests at heart. While I didn't like how he was comparing me with other patients, I know he means well and wants me to succeed. He will never deny me a fill, and he even told me so yesterday when I was getting one. He is a good doctor. I just think that doctors are human and they cannot possibly know or understand everything that their patients are experiencing. A skinny doctor doesn't know what it's like to be obese or be hungry all the time, so they have to learn to be more empathetic. That is why we need others for support.

When I had my 2nd fill, about 2 weeks after my port revision surgery, I felt I had the perfect restriction. I would eat a small meal, be full and satisfied and not be hungry for at least 5 to 6 hours later. I had to remind myself it was time to eat again, and I absolutely loved it. I thought I was finally free of hunger. Well, that lasted about 5 days and I was back to struggling with hunger again. I have not been able to get that level of restriction back ever since, despite several fills afterwards.

I can still eat anything and everything. Only bread gets stuck occasionally if I eat it too fast. I still struggle with a constant hunger and a need to eat 3 hours after a meal. I thought this was supposed to stop with the band. After seeing the doctor and hearing his explanation of my failure to lose, I am now confused about what I should be expecting from my band.

Puddin,

I am sorry to hear you are having troubles. I know where you are at with things.

I was banded in July of 04. My pre-surgery weight was 285. My weight day of surgery was 265. I have the Vanguard Band (14cc?) with (last time I was at the Dr's) 7cc filled.

The lowest I got was 215. At that time I was 7.5cc fill; but I was having troubles with constant indigestion.

I pulled back to 7cc (current) and gained a little of the weight back. Last time I checked (I don't keep a scale in the house, I know I'd be compulsive about it) I was 215. I don't check anymore.

My Dr. has since changed his Insurance Policies and my current provider would end up costing me $225/visit - so I have not been to see him in over 1.5 years.

I am telling you all this to kind of let you know I know where you are at {long winded way around, I am sorry}.

The band is supposed to be a TOOL to assist us in gaining the upper hand on weight control. However, I have some pretty good control (that's been improved since getting banded) but as you can see self control for me is not the total answer ....

As was already noted, you should stress to you Dr. that you haven't yet reached YOUR perfect fill - that point where the band IS helping you as the tool it was intended to be. Suggest that he fill you some more, and that you and he monitor your progress.

I can only hope this helps, good luck with your journey. I am struggling with my own right now, and with the other struggles going on in my life (personal, house, work). I am glad I am getting back involved with this forum. I am hoping it will help me with my weight, and maybe even some further insight to the rest of my troubles.

Remember you are beautiful, each part of this journey begins daily with a single step. Good luck on your journey!:)

The comment your doctor made about people with the same or less of a fill losing more than you is irrelevant. I am surprised a doctor would say that. Some of us never need a fill and some of us need quite a bit. Our anatomy is different and it makes no sense to compare fill levels across different people.

It sounds like you need more of a fill in that you know what it feels like to be at the appropriate restriction level and did not experience the need for more food and was not hungry in between meals. I know from personal experience that the right fill level makes all the difference in the world. I would insist on getting another fill as quickly as possible.

Your doctor can also be correct in that eating six meals may be too much. It all depends on how many calories you are ingesting. There are things you can do to make this work better for you if you are still hungry. If you have to have a snack, perhaps you can stick to vegetables or something with almost no calories to tide you over until your next meal. It can also really help you to track your calories and Protein daily in something like fitday.

No matter if you have a band or not, for the most part calories consumed should be less than calories burned to keep losing. Unfortunately, if your band is not restricted enough you will have to work harder on personally restricting what you are eating in order to continue losing.

One last thing concerns what you are eating. In my case, it was very important for me to avoid certain things or I was constantly hungry. Pasta, breads, snack cakes, Cookies or crackers or anything along this line with processed carbs/sugars would make me instantly hungry again in an hour or less. My blood sugar will spike and then drop when I eat these things, and it does not matter what my restriction level is, I immediately crave these things after I have them. I am not sure if this is an issue at all for you, but for me I never lose a single pound regardless of restriction unless I avoid these things.

Another thing that might help with your hunger is to drink liquids in between your meals. I find this REAlly helps me. I went this past Wednesday to my Dr. thinking I might get my first fill but the nurse asked the bunch of questions that she does and it was decided that I really didn't need a fill yet. She said I was losing weight at the rate they want and when she asked if I was hungry in between meals, I said not really but drinking in between helps. You should also be doing this to keep hydrated. Try it....hope it helps you! Good luck!

Lisa :)

I also have a 14cc band and was banded in December of 07'. I had the same issues that you are referring to until my last fill 3 months ago bringing me to a total of 10.25cc's and PRESTO! I was at the perfect restriction level. My occassional binges of eating too much were immediatley brought to a screeching hault and I had no choice but to conform to the rules because if I didn't, I would be on my knees, worshipping the porcelain goddess in the bathroom.

I would suggest that you find a doctor to fill you under flouro, that way you can rest assured that you have proper restriction.

The comment your doctor made about people with the same or less of a fill losing more than you is irrelevant. I am surprised a doctor would say that. Some of us never need a fill and some of us need quite a bit. Our anatomy is different and it makes no sense to compare fill levels across different people.

It sounds like you need more of a fill in that you know what it feels like to be at the appropriate restriction level and did not experience the need for more food and was not hungry in between meals. I know from personal experience that the right fill level makes all the difference in the world. I would insist on getting another fill as quickly as possible.

Your doctor can also be correct in that eating six meals may be too much. It all depends on how many calories you are ingesting. There are things you can do to make this work better for you if you are still hungry. If you have to have a snack, perhaps you can stick to vegetables or something with almost no calories to tide you over until your next meal. It can also really help you to track your calories and Protein daily in something like fitday.

No matter if you have a band or not, for the most part calories consumed should be less than calories burned to keep losing. Unfortunately, if your band is not restricted enough you will have to work harder on personally restricting what you are eating in order to continue losing.

One last thing concerns what you are eating. In my case, it was very important for me to avoid certain things or I was constantly hungry. Pasta, breads, snack cakes, Cookies or crackers or anything along this line with processed carbs/sugars would make me instantly hungry again in an hour or less. My blood sugar will spike and then drop when I eat these things, and it does not matter what my restriction level is, I immediately crave these things after I have them. I am not sure if this is an issue at all for you, but for me I never lose a single pound regardless of restriction unless I avoid these things.

HeatherO,

Thanks! I think you hit the nail right on the head! What you said really struck home with me about me knowing what the proper restriction FOR ME is. I remember when I had very good restriction after the 2nd fill, and that is where I want to be. It is true that I have to work harder to watch what I eat in the meantime. I could've still lost more weight had I had more control and stuck to a 1,200 calorie diet. We all know how hard that is, especially without the band. I have to make more of an effort in this case.

Also, you are right about the high carbohydrate meals spiking your blood sugar, which can cause more insulin release to lower the blood sugar. That's where the hunger comes in, due to low blood sugar, and you have to eat again to bring it back up. It's like a vicious cycle. I also learned that without insulin, it is impossible for fat production. The higher your insulin levels, the more chance you have for fat storage. This is why those on very low carbohydrate diets lose weight. Not enough excess insulin, no fat storage, and you lose weight as a result.

I did get the fill two days ago, and I was on liquids, so I couldn't tell how much restriction I have until it was time to eat soft foods yesterday. Well, I got very full after eating some Eggbeaters, and later for dinner I had a small amount of ravioli, and I was literally stuffed for hours! I was full enough to go on for more than 5 hours without feeling the need to eat or snack! I just started drinking more fluids, also. For the moment, I think I am back at the proper restriction. I just hope it will last this time! I have to see my doctor in one month, and I've set a goal to lose at least another 5 lbs by then. Would be nice to see him smile! :)

Thanks, everyone for your support!

missmonaaz,

Thanks for your support. I was looking at your progress photos, and wow, what a magnificent transformation you've made! You look really great! You must be feeling on top of the world. Keep up the good work!