Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

HELP!Antidepressants,do I have to stop pre-op?

My lap band doc told me to gradually stop taking Zoloft over text three weeks (I am taking 100mg), but I am anxious more than ever about my op in three weeks. I only just found out to stop taking and it was a shock as I have heard that other people took antidepressants pre-op. Please everyone give me lots of advice!:whatchutalkingabout

Why does he want you to stop taking your medication? I would find out if it's on the list of meds that would prevent you from having surgery. If not, I would call the doctor who prescribed them and find out if it's okay to do so and how you should go about doing it?

I had my surgery June 25 and my surgeon said it was fine, infact a good idea, to contine taking my anti-anxiety/depression meds. I took a welbutrin and a lexapro hours before the surgery and since they are so small I was able to take them - together in one sip the day after my surgery. Since they are small my surgreon also does not see a reason why I would be difficulty with them. Proir to my surgery I also spoke with my psychiatrist about this and he suggested I continue taking them but if I stopped for a few days that would be okay, anything longer is not safe unless you are slowing stopping them. SSRIs are not a safe drug to just start and stop. If my surgeon told me to stop taking them I would want a really good reason, i.e. I understand why I had to stop by birth control - blood clotting. Good luck

i was taking 100mg of zoloft when i had surgery. it was never an issue. i would press the issue with the doc and find out what his concern is with the medication. i tended to REALLY overeat when i was not taking the medication.

i am not a doc, but i know a lot about the medication, and i cannot think of a single ounce of reasoning for stopping the zoloft just for surgery. there must be some other factor. i know that sometimes these decisions can be due to malpractice insurance.

I didn't have to stop my antidepressents (I take effexor) Just no meds that would thin blood.....hmmmmmm

I am new to the forum so my mission was to sit back and just read and take it all in for a few days until pre-op. But I HAD to comment on your concern with this. I have been researching this procedure for months and one of my big concerns (first concerns) was 'would I have to stop taking my anxiety/migraine meds?' I take 150mg of Effexor & 100mg of Topamax DAILY. The combo has treated my anxiety and Migraines like nectar of the GODS and I was not about to undergo a procedure that made me stop taking them.

I saw 3 different doctors before making my choice to go with Dr.Matthew St.Laurent in Houston. All 3 doctors said I could continue taking my meds. These were 3 doctors from 3 totally different practices (Dr.Wilkenfield, Dr.Hollis & Dr.St.Laurent, all Houston docs) I didn't even 'stress' my absolute need for the meds, I casually brought it up just to see what they would say about them. I was relieved to hear I could continue. 2 out of the 3 said to crush the pills prior to taking them (makes sense). Then just YESTERDAY (8/11) I saw my neurologist who prescribed me the meds (Dr.Randolph Evans, Houston) and even he said it would be OK for me to do the procedure on the meds. I wanted to meet with him prior to scheduling my pre-op just to make sure he was OK with me undergoing the post-op diet on my meds. Once he gave me the thumbs up I called and scheduled EVERYTHING! My lap-band surgery is scheduled for August 26th! :whatchutalkingabout

I agree with the other moderators, press this issue with your doctor and find out exactly 'why' he wants you to stop the meds. It will not directly effect the band but could directly effect your 'mental' state (I know it would for me). Maybe bring up the idea of 'crushing' your meds to him. Good luck! Please keep me posted!! :tt2:

I took my meds through the whole process and my doc even said that i may need to increase in order to effectively deal with the new changes in my life. You should never have to stop your antidepressants for a surgery, they do not increase your risk for bleeding or blood clots.

I take Celexa and that was the one pill they said NOT to quit. Just don't forget you should never cold turkey any medicine for depression or anxiety. I had a friend do that and the results were not pretty.

4 weeks out and I am now off all meds but the Celexa and 1/2 a blood pressure pill.

Best of Luck!

Thank you all. I asked the doc and he said yes I can take them, not sure why he said no to begin with. Anyway I can take them, which is a giant relief I can tell you. Thank you again to all of you, you are all very kind for helping me.:

Taking anti depressants is not the solution to get over your depression. Rather the person should find the reason behind it and try and get over it. Changing of schedule and keeping your self busy with something also helps in getting over depression. http://www.xanax-effects.com

Taking anti depressants is not the solution to get over your depression. Rather the person should find the reason behind it and try and get over it. Changing of schedule and keeping your self busy with something also helps in getting over depression. http://www.xanax-effects.com

happened upon this...this is the most ignorant thing about depression i've ever heard! depression is more than situational, it's a chemical imbalance in the brain. that's like telling someone to get over diabetes. why don't you read up on something before you post something like this. :thumbup:

I took my meds the day before the surgery, but I skipped a couple of days after my surgery - my choice. I also have the Nuvaring, which is a type of birth control. I even had that in while I had surgery.