Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I just wanted to vent. I read posts almost daily. I have been researching the band for about 2 years. I decided to do it! So, I begin my journey. I have done several tests and my psych evaluation. I get a call today from the psychologist today. He is very sorry but at this time he can NOT give me a referral. When I asked him why? Because I am depressed. NO kidding? I am 100 #'s + overweight... blah blah blah.... So, he said I have to go to a therapist 1 x a week for 6 months and then go see him again. I spoke with the lady at the surgery center, she said this was very rare that someone gets denied for depression. She said the evaluation also showed a history of drug and alcohol use. That was over 10 years ago. Are you kidding me??? I was told to be honest for the evaluation. This is where that got me.....back at start. I will study for my next big test thats for sure. Thanks for listening!!!

Go to a different doctor...?

Ya sometimes you cant be honest... i used meth ALOT when i was younger to get thin... shoot i know sooooooooo many girls who did... I was honest with all the questions dealing with food... but i dont think they need to know about your drug use in the past... not for the Lap Band... I paid cash for my procedure.... $18,000... if i thought that my drinking or past drug use was a problem why would i waste all that money!!!! I would find another doctor.... BTW they also told me i was depressed... but like you said... who really isnt????? I had just had a baby 4 weeks prior to my psych eval so he said it was because the hormones... But i cry at the drop of a dime the min someone asks me about my weight.... I always have....

wow, that really stinks. is there a way to go to a different psych dr? i'm kinda worried about that myself...of course most...& i do say "most" obese people are slightly depressed. going for this surgery is a way to become more positive. i hope all goes well for you...i'll keep you in my prayers. God bless.

I am still in shock right now. I will look at my other options tomorrow. If the surgeon will accept another evaluation....I will go that route otherwise I will have to wait it out. I appreciate your concerns.

this seems odd to me.

I had a horrible past...where I tried to commit suicide. took drugs, drank, burnt myself, cut myself.

But it was in the past and the doc said from how I am now that I would be a perfect candidate. I was truthful with everything. But we also did talk about how i answered the tests and why that was and he understood completely.

I was approved by him.

I feel for you! I was supposed to get banded today but my liver was too darn thick; they closed me back up! Now I have a special diet etc. and they'll try again in a bit. So I understand your disappointment. BUT, maybe it happened for a reason? I'm 200+ overweight and not depressed so I don't agree with the weight always causing it. Maybe a little therapy or whatever could position you in a better place for the lap band to help.

I know you are in shock (like me!) so I hope this doesn't sound harsh cuz I don't mean it that way; just be gentle with yourself and see what another therapist says. And in the long run? They ARE human; the first one is possibly totally off base and a "new" one will have a different take. If not, they can help you.

He was very aware that these were things of my past. I also told him I was not a fan of taking meds for anxiety, depression, stress ets due to my past. Do you think I should ask him for a "recap" appointment? I did not get the chance to explain any of my answers.

Sure! To be depressed "about" something and to have clinical depression are two very different things. I'd ask for a different therapist just in case there was some, um, "miscommunication" between you two, you know? Because really, if you truly are clinically depressed (and sometimes people can't tell they are; it's kind of like a can't see the forest for the trees thing) then a therapist can help you even without drugs. But if you are just down because you are overweight, then that should just help motivate you to be compliant with a new post-op diet!

I think you should pursue it because to my mind you are win-win. If you are depressed you'll get help with it and if you aren't, you'll get your surgery sooner rather than later.

I was there strickly to get approved for lapband surgery, I was not there for therapy and that is exactly how I answered my questions. Maybe some will think that is wrong but I like my crazy self just as I am, I just want the weight off. Good luck!

I baffled them with bulls**t.

Most people have a past.

You know whats best for you.

Everyone has their own point of view, so get another!

Hun i agree, go to another doctor if you can...if everbody was judged on thing sthey done in the past, or the way how we felt...im sure nearly all people on this forum would not be banded. You can overcome this hun....people will try and put barriers up, but you can overcome this. Get another opinion...i was told i couldnt get banded because i was to "big", so i went elsewhere and i will be banded in less than three weeks!

xx

It is hard to hear that you had been denied but you also stated that the psychologist said "at this time". Really I would go one of two routes with this. Either get the therapy for the 6 months to make sure for yourself that you are depressed over weight and not other issues. Or find another psychologist who will give you the approval.

Don't take it to hard just look at it as another stumbling block that you have to get out of the way on your path to a better life. Build upon this and turn it around.

Florida Pete is right;

Let me play the "devil's advocate" here.

I've been going to a psychologist/therapist since puberty.

I have bipolar disease with some lovely childhood trauma thrown in, suicidal tendencies, body dysmorphic disorder, agoraphobia because of humiliation of my weight.

Based on this assortment of "stuff" -

I am NOT a candidate for bariatric surgery. :unsure:

Reason is that the weight loss is not going to make it all go away and quite probably based on my behavioral history - the potential failure of weight loss will likely put me over just one more edge.

However -

I'm BLESSED with Diabetes II, sleep apnea, high blood pressure, fatty liver, peripheral neuropathy, arthritic knees and some other delightful gifts from my severe obesity.

Based on HEALTH issues first and foremost -

I'm a wonderful candidate - now. :mellow:

So I can understand the theory behind weight loss surgery as a treatment for depression is NOT a good recommendation by a good psychiatrist -

a focus on the health issues should be the legitimate "arguing point"

And further counselling is an important step to achieve both mental and physical health.

Good luck-

My own psych evaluation is Sept 11. :D

Edited by Elayne

The reason behind the eval is they want to be sure that you dont turn to drugs alcohol or sex as a way to cope with emotional issues I would go into the therapy you may have a shorter time than you think .the therapist could clear you based on your sessions.

choochie:cool: