Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Please tell me this will stop soon.

Warning – This post may gross some people out.

I am only 1 week post op and I have been having 2-4 watery and gassy poops a day. Is this normal? When does it go away? I have been off of work this week so I have had the luxury of my own bathroom. I dread returning to work with this problem.:)

Not gross, I had the SAME problem too. I transitioned onto soft foods after a week because I was tolerating liquids so well, and when I did, my poops went back to normal :)

Congratulations on your band girl. As for the watery stool, you had to cleanse your body before surgery and probably still on liquids. Liquids in liquids out. No solids in, no solids out. The gas is your friend, embrace it. It's probably the gas from the surgery working it's way out. Sounds like you're doing great but call your doctor if you have concerns. That's what he and his staff are there for.

hi there. well i am sorry about your situation and maybe i can give you some advice. Well if you are just 1 week post op i figure your diet is mostly liquid. And if what you are digesting is all liquid them i am afraid so will your (for lack of a better word) poop. Your poop might become more solid when you start intruducing some food with some bulk to it. Now as far as the gas from what i have read on this web site is that it can stay in your system for up to 2-3 weeks. I have read on this website it is due to the surgeon putting air in your stomach during the surgery. i have heard that there are these gas-x strips that dissolve in your mouth that help ( i just stocked up on some for my surgery) or others have said that any anti-gas medicine might work. well good luck! i hoped this has helped a little. :)

I had that too - it was not pleasant! I was going to the bathroom at least once every hour. Pepto bismol helped me a lot. But definitely once I got onto full liquids (creamy Soups, etc) it started to improve.

Good luck! It will pass.

I was banded a little over a week ago and had two days of what you describe. It was pretty prolific to say the least. It has gotten better. If you haven't already do yourself a favor and buy some Gas-X tabs or strips. It doesn't elminate the gas, but it breaks it up into smaller bubbles that pass more easily.

I knew I'd find the answers I needed somewhere on LBT! :ohmy: I was banded on Thursday and have been in some minor discomfort off and on, but have had a lot of diarrhea all day today. And then I remembered that someone had said "liquid in, liquid out" :) - thanks godshelp, and thanks Claudine for having asked first.

The weird thing is that normally I would be pretty freaked about this, but I'm just so happy to be banded that I can take it - diarrhea, gas, itching from the oxycodone, all things that normally would be driving me mad, but eh, it's OK.

LBT is truly the font of all wisdom. :crying:

Cheers,

Lisa

I had surgery May 7th and that also happened to me the first week. Just like everyone else said, liquids in/liquids out. I couldn't stand it anymore. Not to sound gross but it was so bad I couldn't barely wipe (Vaseline works wonders for that part). I made some really runny cream of wheat. It tasted wonderful just to have something with texture, but it also helped get rid of the runs. To give it a little flavor, you can add a splash of vanilla slim fast or Atkins Protein Drink. Good luck - it will pass.

If you are drinking juices at full strength this will increase your loose stools. I did not experience this....my experience was more so in the other direction! I think Imodium comes in dissolve strips? Good Luck

I'm so, so glad to have found this. I had surgery on Thursday.

I'd been putting up with my diarrhea up until about an hour ago when I had an accident in bed. To put it as some one else did on here, I trusted a fart that I shouldn't have. I was half asleep and well...didn't make it to the bathroom in time. Talk about humiliating... :)

I've gone probably 2-3 times an hour for the past two days. I've just taken some Pepto per my surgeon's instructions. Let's hope it works!

Hi! I had my surgery 7/14/08. I'm unsure what to eat. I tried ground turkey and I got all sweaty and had pain and thought I was going to throw up. Basicly, I eat eggs, tuna, cottage cheese, stuff like that. I don't seem to ever have the full feeling. Any thoughts?

I had the same problem, were you given any antibiotics to take afterwards? When I talked to my Dr about it he said that the antibiotic that he had me take at home for the first several days was fairly strong and sometimes it knocks out the good along with bad, it took a little while but did go away. Good luck.

I went through it too but that phase only lasted a week or two. Now I am normal now but volume is just really small compared to pre-surgery (less in, less by-products I guess).

Although unpleasant, I think it is normal and not too much of a concern.

I have a couple of questions. I had my band put in on August 6th and am on full liquids at the moment. They told me I could have creamy Soups, I know this is going to be a stupid question to most of you but can I put chili in a blender and have that? Also, how do you know when you are full after eating. I don't feel full until I am almost sick from eating too much. How much is enough during the full liquid diet? Plus, I noticed that everyone had a problem with dirrehea and I haven't had a poop since before my surgery. I have taken milk of magnesia and it hasn't helped. Any advice would really be appreciated

Thanks

No, chili in a blender is not the same as cream Soups. You want your band to heal properly and now is not the time to bend the rules. Although it seems like forever, the time does go by and you do get to eat real food again. Frustrating, I know, but worth the wait.

good luck