Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lap Band and Hair Loss

Not really.....but the condition of my hair really did suffer about 12 months in, it was really horrid for a while. Dry, breaking, frizzy.

I've read enough on here over the years from people's descriptions to heartily believe it isnt Protein deficience that causes Hair loss though but more likely overall nutritional imbalance. People ALL say help, my hair is falling, out I'm eating tons of Protein, but its still coming out. Most bandsters on this forum are told protein first, and drink Protein shakes and in general eat WAY more protein than Australian bandsters do, yet they still have problems with hair loss.

I would say, eat your protein, as you've been instructed, but also make sure you get the full range of other nutrients (and here is where I believe cutting out all carbs is problematic because wholegrains provide a valuable range of nutrients), take a good Multivitamin, take all the "hair vitamins" you like such as Biotin or a hair, nails and skin formulation, make sure your Iron levels are good (because lack of Iron can cause hair problems too) and hope for the best.

However, it can also be hormonally induced, and just as a result of the changes in your body with a large weightloss, but your body does recover from it. I had to get a pretty major haircut and I spent quite a few months spending a FORTUNE on hair products, but over time, my hair improved and its better than ever nowadays.

Its a pretty rare bandster that goes bald or near to bald, for most people its really quite scary but they dont lose all their hair. It just doesnt look its best for a while.

my surgery was in April and my hair JUST started falling out over the past 3 weeks. i just had my blood tested to make sure nutrient levels were fine after surgery so i know it's not that.

would it take the body almost 3 months to be stressed out? how long does the Hair loss last?? thank God i have a lot of hair but i'm still starting to worry!

I take 10 mg of Biotin a day. The instructions say to take 5 mg, but I didn't notice a difference with that, so I started doubling it. I can tell you that my nails are stronger than ever, but I still feel like my hair is coming out some.

The Vitamin B is a BTotal (B12) liquid supplement. You just put a dropper full under your tongue and hold it there for 30 seconds before swallowing. It also gives you a boost of energy.

I just went to my hair stylist over the weekend. I waited to see if she noticed that it was thinner, and she said she did. Fortunately, I do have a lot of hair, so the average person won't really notice.

Good luck! I hope you find the right mix of things that helps.

when did you start noticing the Hair loss. mine didn't start until 2.5 months after my surgery! i had noticed my hair falling out but didn't think of telling my hair stylist and she just about freaked out after combing my hair. she didn't say anything... just held her hand out with a handful of my hair... and looked horrified. i saw her reaction in the mirror. i explained that i had surgery but she didn't think i should still be losing my hair. while i DO have thick hair, i want to keep it that way! i hate to take the extra supplements if i don't have to...

Mine started coming out about 3 months after surgery. My hair stylist said that it is common...she sees it a lot with patients who have had weight loss surgery. She also reassured me that it would grow back. I'm trying not to worry abou ti ttoo much. After all, I'm losing weight, and I would go back and do it all again. But, I know it's really hard. My hair has always been what people have commented on. It's definitely been my thing!

Just a quick reply since I've posted this in other places but wanted you guys to get the info as well. I had my surgery 17 months ago and am just now starting to see it come back, so hang in there. In the meantime, I found a great product that will help your confidence and stress while you waiting for it to return. Go to QVC.com and search for Joan Rivers hair products.. different colors to match hair, looks like eyeshadow but comes in colors to match your hair.. around $25. I would not live without it. Hope this helps in some small way!