Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Question About Anthestia

I know they say it is rare but is anethetic awareness really happen that much. I watched that movie Awake and it has me so nervous for this surgery! Did everyone's surgeries go fully under?

Being put to sleep is one of my biggest fears, along with getting a blood clot afterwards. Lapband is a very fast surgery, my surgery took less than 25 mintutes, and that included fixing a hiatal hernia.

You'll be fine, stop watching those crazy movies, LOL.

Let us know how it goes.

maleliz777,

My doctor's office explained that the blood clots were mainly a risk for the people who didn't move after surgery. As long as you get up and walk as much as possible then your blood keeps flowing and makes it very difficult to clot. Even if you cant get up right away, rotate your feet in circles and move your legs. My advise and I have lived it for a week, walking-outside, not around the house, is a God send. It helps with getting rid of the gas, helps prevent clots, helps you lose weight, and gets you mind and body back to work sooner.

As for the "Awake" movie, dear God! Who let you watch that before surgery! That like watching Jaws before going to the beach. You poor thing!! I was wheeled around the corner from kissing my DH and the Dr said I'm going to give you a little something and you'll go off to sleep and I did. I don't even know where the OR is, I was out cold 10 feet from the corner and I woke up in recovery.

With any surgery there are risks and they wouldn't have to warn us if they didn't happen, but the flip side of that is for us to stay heavy and have health issues that do worse things to us. I was aware of the risks, but the thought of a long healthy life with my family made it worth it.

I'll keep you in my prayers, Take care! moe

I had a worry of being put under also. My fear was waking up during surgery. I was wheeled into the operating room at 8:42 and then I woke around 11:00 and no memory of the surgery. Relax you will be fine.

Thanks alot all of you. Just extremely nervous because this is my first operation/being put to sleep/iv. And being young does not help lol but everyday I think more and more of how many people go under in a days time and come out fine, especially lap band.

Stop watching scary movies before your surgery! They will give you a happy cocktail to ease the nerves and the next thing you know you are waking up from surgery in the recovery room.

They will go over all of the possible complications with you, they have to by law. But don't let that get to you. You will be so much healthier and happier after having had this surgery. You are going to make a life change and it is scary - but I think the benefits outweigh the risks.

The surgery was short and they knocked me out so quickly, I remember nothing, which is how I like it. I woke up to go home with my hubby. Yesterday I had Reike and massage to rid my body of the anestetic. I find I slept like a baby and feel clearer today, and have greater energy. (which is why I am still up) I had kidney stone emergency surgery a few months ago and did the same thing. I highly recommend this therapy. Focus on everything being well and it will. You can make it happen......Kim

I have had at least 7 general anaesthetics in my life the first one when I was 2, the first I remember when i was 15 and I have never had an issue with it!

Don't watch anymore of those scary/worst case scenario movies!!!

The fact that you are young will actually work to your benefit. The younger you are helps you heal more quickly and typically bounce back faster, so you go girl:) My other suggestion is to let the nurses and doctors know of your fears and voice them-that way they are off your chest and you can just worry about getting on with your new life:)

Being nervous is natural.

I litterally was about to cry when they took me out of my room to take me to the OR. I was so scared I wouldn't wake up. I don't know why I just did. Finally, he was nice and told me I was going to feel dizzy and sure enough I started to feel like one of those jager nights in the college days and woke up 2 hours later.

You will be fine but don't worry about being scared I was a big pussy cat.