Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Clothes....Fitted or Baggy?

Ok, so I want opinions on whether clothes should be tighter or looser? Do fitted or baggy clothes make you look better?

I have always been a baggy clothes person so you wouldn't see the rolls, however, I am starting to think this makes me look bigger. I don't want the rolls to show but don't want to look like a truck either, is there a happy median?

:wink_smile:

I'm a baggy tie dye t-shirt wearing girl; however, whenever I wear something fitted my co-workers tell me how good I look. Someone always asks if I've lost weight. Plus, I've been watching "What Not To Wear" and they give good advice about what cut of clothing fits different body types.

So, I think from experience and from that show, fitted clothing is probably more flattering. I know I still worry about my back rolls in fitted shirts, but I have to look at the whole picture!

The bottom line though is to wear what you are comfortable in.

lets review here, baggy makes you look bigger, fitted shows your curves, but always remember there is a difference between fitted and too tight. too tight makes you look like your in a sausage casing, so fitted is the way to go.

I am down 57 pounds now, and went from a 26 to a 20. I had been wearing the 24 shirts and blouses, and had my 26 pants tailored. Everything is still baggy.

Well, I had to go to a wake, so bought a new suit in size 20, which at this point is a loose size 20. I couldn't believe how good I looked. Now, have spent the past 5 nights going through my closets, getting rid of everything bigger than a 20.

I decided I liked how good I looked in a size 20, so there is no reason to keep the baggy bigger clothes. I am shopping at Walmart and discount stores to get clothes in my current size to keep my costs down, but ladies, believe me, once you put on something that is the right fit, you never want to go back to the baggy older clothes.

i agree fitted clothes are the way to go. i myself dont like to wear baggy clothes because i think they make you look bigger then wut you are. i usually stick to fitted jeans. Shirts depend on what kind it is if its a flowy top like a baby doll thats fine but nothing baggy, i usually leave those for working out and sleeping in. :wink_smile:

Ok, so I want opinions on whether clothes should be tighter or looser? Do fitted or baggy clothes make you look better?

I have always been a baggy clothes person so you wouldn't see the rolls, however, I am starting to think this makes me look bigger. I don't want the rolls to show but don't want to look like a truck either, is there a happy median?

:thumbup:

IMHO, I think fitted clothes present a neater, slimming appearance. However, fitted clothing, to me, does not mean tight clothing. Tight clothing tends to show off any lumps, bumps, and rolls you have. I've also discovered that the type of cloth makes a difference as well. I do not look good in velvets and some polyester blends because they cling too much.

Also, I agree that wearing loose clothing makes you look larger. I have a couple of really pretty blouses, which are loose, that make me look like a big top tent. :wink_smile:

I agree with the others, fitted clothing will always be more flattering, but that doesnt mean tight or showing anything. When you're heavier, there ARE aspects of your shape you want to hide, rolls and lumps and bra overspill and the like are not really good looks. But clothes that fit you well will look better than enormous ones.

As you get thinner, it takes quite a lot of courage to start showing yor body. The habits of a lifetime are hard to break. But you dont have to be stick think to look good in clothes that show your shape, you just have to be able to find the clothes!

Find yourself a good alteration person and keep him or her. Explain that you are losing weight and are getting used to looking slimmer. Have them pin the alterations on you to see how it looks, to see if you want something more fitted or less. You may find yourself comfortable in less than fitted but more than baggy to start. You may find the more you lose the more comfortable you will be in fitted clothes. Now there is a warning here. There is a limit as to how much a garment can be taken in. Listen to your person.

Ok, IMHO....it's all about "Fat Girl Brain." Up till, most of us have been trying to wear clothes that will hide what we don't want seen. Usually, because we're bigger, baggie was the only option for doing that. I agree with the previous posts that it's about a nice fit & good look for you. If your clothes make you look great, and are a bit on the loose side, go for it, if a more fitted line is what you're into, hey awesome. But it boils down to turning off the "fat brain" and being realistic about where you are. I know for myself, I love comfy clothes, but I find that I'm trying to find them in styles that are figure flattering now....not figure covering. (See, fat brain switch in OFF mode! :thumbup:)

Best of luck!:wink_smile:

Annette

Fitted! BUT not tight. It always makes you look more slim. Layering is good too to. Never 2 bulky things. Look for layering tees or tanks to go under a nice blouse that you don't button etc... It makes you look thinner.

Definitely fitted!

I'm in the fitted but not too tight category. When I gained weight, I always wore looser clothes to hide my problems. Now that I've lost some, I find I look better in fitted bottoms and shirts that are more form fitting (I'm way smaller on top than the bottom). If I wear a baggy shirt, no one notices I've lost. If I wear a fitted top, then I get all sorts of wonderful compliments.

I do have a problem letting go of some my older and more expensive clothes, though. My mom came over and saw me in a pair of old 7 jeans and told me I looked ridiculous. She was right. I could take them off without unbuttoning them. Time for eBay!

Most definitely fitted. I have a new affinity for fitted clothing!

Speaking as a guy, I would rather see someone that is comfortable showing a couple rolls then someone that hides under a huge baggy t-shirt. Confidence is always sexier than insecurity no matter what you weigh.