Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

1st year, what has been your biggest issue.

Hello all,

Please let us know what has been the ONE most challing issue you have had to deal with during the first year of your band, and what you have done to resolve this issue.

Oh and you don’t have to have had the band for a year to reply.

Thanks all!!

My most challenging issue so far is trying to eat slowly. I am a doc-in-training and I don't have much time to eat, so I am always rushing to swallow my food. Usually I am done with my meal in 15 minutes instead of the 25-30 my doc wants me to take to eat. Usually it is not a big issue, but I am extra stressed this week and my band is being finicky (I am taking my second step of boards on friday). Yesterday I ate too quickly and something got stuck and before I realized it I had already swallowed another bite. Needless to say, I had to run to the restroom...OPPS!!! That was the first time that happened to me and I am 2 and a half months post-op. But I know I eat too fast. I probably wasn't chewing enough either.

Exercise has been my biggest challenge and I still haven't conquered it..........I try to find fun activities such as biking or dancing w/ my PS2 dance mat, but can't say I really luv it yet! LOL

My biggest challenge has been to see the amazing job I have done so far, and not put myself down. Sometimes, you still see the same old body and think the same old thoughts of yourself. Its weird. It is like body dysmorphia....it must be what happens with anorexia.

I am just shy of 4 months post-op. For me, the most challenging thing has been a little of the eating too fast but more of taking too big of bites - I still chew the food down enough to swallow and not be a problem, but I think it would mentally help me feel as though I am eating not so small a portion if it wasn't gone in a few bites. I also need to work on exercising more. Sometimes I feel I am more weight obsessed than I ever was before - but as my Dr. says as long as I am getting enough Protein in and losing weight - I am headed in the right direction.

-kcmagu

h: 306

s: 295

c: 259

Since my last fill, I have had reflux when I sleep. My band is on the tighter side, but I don't have a problem eating what I need to eat. I wake up multiple times in the night with reflux and a choking sensation. I don't want to loosen my band. I am wondering if there is anything else I should be doing? Help!!!!!:confused2:

I was banded 9 months ago. Biggest issue: Keeping my band a secret. 3 people in this world know I have the band (aside from doctors). I am an open-book personality - lively and energetic. For a number of reasons, some obvious and others not, I decided not to tell anyone about my band.

Here's a few reasons why I kept it a secret:

• I didn't look fat. I was 195 and 5'1". Really, no one looked at me and thought I needed weight loss surgery. Most people would guess my weight at 170 at most. I carried it well.
  • I didn't want to be "known" for my band. Do you notice when someone suffers an injury in a car accident, or when someone is diagnosed with cancer.... it's all anyone talks about to them! A neighbor of mine had breast cancer, and she hated that it was the only topic of conversation among friends and family. She appreciated their support, but said she was more than just cancer. I sort of feel the same way -- didn't want to talk about it all the time.
  • I didn't want to fail. "Oh, she got the lap-band and it didn't even work!" Fortunately, it has worked incredibly well for me.
  • Many people don't understand the struggles with weight nor the long process one goes through to decide if the lap-band is the right decision for them. I didn't want to have to explain and justify myself over and over.

These are just some of the few reasons I didn't tell people about my surgery. I said I had my appendix out, and was back to work in 3 days. No one noticed. I didn't really start losing weight until weeks after surgery and my body was hidden under big winter clothes.

So, keeping it a secret has been tough.

Sometimes, you still see the same old body and think the same old thoughts of yourself.

Strange you say that, for me the problem has been I see myself as a thin person lol yes I know its strange.

I wake up multiple times in the night with reflux and a choking sensation.

Go see your doc, you should not be haiving reflux!!!

Thanks all for your replies and please keep them coming.

Since my last fill, I have had reflux when I sleep. My band is on the tighter side, but I don't have a problem eating what I need to eat. I wake up multiple times in the night with reflux and a choking sensation. I don't want to loosen my band. I am wondering if there is anything else I should be doing? Help!!!!!:confused2:

That is a sign that your band is too tight. You should have it loosened. Sorry for the bad news :w00t:

my biggest problems have been slowing down eating

not being able to have soda

having the worst gas in the world

but, I was misrable 25 lbs ago and wouldn't have been able to lose it without this... and still have over 30 to go....