Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Becoming Extremely Nervous!!

Hello All...

I beginning to get really nervous about the surgery. I am still really young and this is my first surgery/ being put to sleep. I just want everything to go smoothly and like its suppose to. I want to do everything right.

Some questions... Are most of you exercising during the week before liquid diet?

I exercised right up to my surgery date. No problem!

Don't be nervous. I have found each time I have surgery (5) the team has been really great. The anathesiologist (sp) is usually really nice and they help calm you down as you are getting ready - they usually give you a relaxing 'cocktail' before they roll you into surgery, so you are calm and relaxed before the procedure starts and then you wake up when it is all over!

You will be fine, just follow your docs orders!

I'm getting nervous too. This will be my first surgery as well. I'm more nervous now than I was getting ready to deliver my baby girl.

I've read some of the surgery-day threads on here, and while the provide a good picture of what I can expect, my heart is racing as I read them!!

I'm nervous about the anesthesia, a possible cathetar, the pain, how helpful/nice the nursing staff will be.....everything!!! The only thing I have 100% faith in is my surgeon.

I was really calm and at peace with my decision and the steps I have taken and will take, but now this is on my mind 24-7.

Aaahh!:wink_smile:

Anyway I have been, and plan on continuing, exercising up until my surgery. That, with my new eating habits, have helped me to lose weight before my surgery, which can only help the outcome and recovery time. I'll just be staying away from anything targeting stomach muscles till then......:thumbup:

Good Luck!~

Edited by msjessy

I understand b/c I am a little nervous as well. This will also be my first surgery, but I keep reading post on here so I have and idea as to what to expect. I think I'm more nervous about how I will feel post op then the surgery itself.

It's perfectly normal to get scared/ nervous before a procedure. As said before, the staff are there to comfort you and make you feel as calm as can be. No worries, remember, we are doing this to make a new life fdor ourselves! :biggrin2:

Hey all!

I too read the surgery day stories and had sort of developed a sequence of events in my head as to how this was all going to go down. I was just banded two days ago (Monday Aug. 4th) and I must tell you... It was nowhere near as bad as I was prepared for. Everyone's experience is going to be a bit different, but I never experienced any real pain - discomfort yes - but pain no. My doc gave me a prescription for some pain meds and I have not had to fill it.

The worst part for me was urinating the first day (they put a catheter in during surgery and removed it before I waking me) and boy did that hurt for the first few trips to the restroom - and also the ever present belching and farting. Doc says I have to make a more conscious effort not to swallow so much air when eating and drinking.

You folks are going to do just fine. I was uneasy on the way into the operating room too - we all are - but like one of my nurses said, "You're going to have surgery - you should be nervous - but let me assure you that you have nothing to worry about."

Good Luck! Brad

I'm a bit nervous about procedure too, but not much....more anxious to get it over with and start losing.

I had a cardiac catheter procedure done in april for insurance approval. My ekg was crazy and then stress test was false positive, both for NO reason really. But since my grandpa died of heart attack, doc insisted we do cardiac cath. It's where they run a cath(tube) up your femoral artery up to your heart and dye it directly then take xray pics to see if there's any heart probs.

Well anyway, it's a surgery, and I haven't had one since I had my tonsils out at 7yrs old. I felt like sucha BABY as I was litterally crying while they were prepping me. The nurse was very sweet, I'm sure she thought I was NUTS but kept assuring me that it would be alright. I just don't like all the prep work they have to do. They did vitals, IV w/ a million viles to test, urinary cath (no biggie, I was scared of it), shaved area of my leg. I think that's it. Well dr came in, asked why I was teary eyed, I just told him I was nervous cuz first surgery since I was 7. He asked if I wanted something to calm me down, and gave me some valium in IV. I felt much better until they wheeled me in OR and told me to scoot to OR table. I started tearing up again, the staff started talking to me and I said "I just want to be asleep, I just want to be asleep" and she said ok, I'm gonna give you something now. Next thing I know I'm waking up in my room, I feel a dull ache, but not really pain and it was over. I felt like sucha dork...that was it?? It's over already??? I think I was in there like 20min...lmao! wow....

Well honestly since that, I'm more at ease for this surgery. I mean I was sooooo worried and for what? Just tell them you're nervous, explain to them it's your first surgery and they will give you something to relax. There's really nothing to worry about thou, it's over and done w/ before you know it. My friends dad was in OR for 40min, that's all when banded. We'll make it thru it ok! No worries! :w00t: