Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What to try????

I was just wondering if anyone had any good suggestions on a Protein Drink. I have tried a few things and YUCK!!! I have not had my surgery yet, I'm just trying to find something I like to start buying it now....:biggrin2:

Guest Leslie2Lose

Pinky - I'll be honest - I haven't found one "Protein drink" that I like. I agree - Yuck!!!

A friend of mine (also banded) drinks the Carnation Instant Breakfast - sugar free. I mix it with FF Milk. Yummy! Other than that I try to get my Protein in the foods that I eat.

If someone has found something that actually tastes good and doesn't leave that ick in your mouth afterwards, please let us know!!!

I was put on Optifast and I hated it. It made my stomach so irritated. Have you tried any of the drinks by EAS? They have some RTD cartons and powders you have to mix. Those aren't too bad. The powder I really like is by Designer whey. Maybe try blending them really well with some ice,flavored yogurt, fresh fruits, or just different artificial flavorings to give them a better taste.

I also tried those Protein shots they have a GNC, YUK and double YUK!!! They are too thick and taste so bad.

You just have to get creative with those Protein Drinks so that you will be able to get enough Protein in. One of my favorites was using ice, chocolate Protein Powder, coconut flavoring, and almond flavoring to make an almond joy flavored drink. I mix my powders with Water instead of milk to cut down on the calories, but you can mix with FF milk or soymilk.

Anyway, I hope everyone has a great day.

Best wishes,

Stephanie

I use GNC 100% whey Protein drink, any of the flavors are great, but my favorite is the banana cream. I add two packets of splenda and skim milk. If is delicious. If I had to I could surive on that alone. The orange dreamsicle is also great.

I have been drinking the professional strength whey Protein you get at wal mart. I drop some ice in the blender and crush it, then add skim milk, blend it then add the Protein Powder and blend again. It seems the colder it is the easier it is to drink and it doesn't really taste that bad. At first it seems a little sweet but not too bad.

Good Luck

I sent for the unjury drinks they are a sponser here. They are very good not as much as an after taste. I also have the chocolate drink I got at Wal-Mart 20 grams of Protein per drink. I use skim milk, 2-3 ice cubes and blend, blend and blend some more. If you love chocolate, I got some Hershey's sugar free Chocolate Syrup and put a good shot of that in to make it more chocolatly.

Also mix vanilla with Crystal Light citrus flavor for a creamcicle taste.

Lots of stuff here on what to do. And what is best to drink.

good luck.

Pati

I use a whey product flavored lilke vanilla cake mix from vitacost.com. I mix it with a cup of iced coffee every morning...run it through the rocket blender, add ice and YUM!!!! I have been drinking this for breakfast every day since my surgery in April.

I was just wondering if anyone had any good suggestions on a Protein drink. I have tried a few things and YUCK!!! I have not had my surgery yet, I'm just trying to find something I like to start buying it now....:biggrin2:

I'm using the Whey Protein bullets. I have the fruit punch flavor. I get a Water bottle and mix it with my crystal light, takes great. I use a sippy cup to make sure I get small sips.

EAS makes a really good Protein shake called Myoplex. They have different kinds anywhere from 20 grams of Protein to 42 per shake and the carbs are really low too.

Another really good one that I stumbled on last week is called nectar.

It tastes like kool-aid and is very refreshing. It is not as filling as the EAS shakes but it is perfect for right after surgery when you really can't swallow anything thick anyway. Bonus:: You can always add yogurt and fruit to it to thicken it up.

Cheapest place I have found to buy it is: Bodybuilding.com - Syntrax nectar - Best Tasting Protein! On sale now!

This is actually a great site to learn about the different Proteins in the drinks that we are buying. Like everything else, there are high and low grades to protein powders too. No sence in wasting more money on nasty tasting Protein Drinks if you don't have to. Besides, some of them like muscle milk are made to gain muscle weight and unless you are working out regularly and weight training, you really don't need that type of protin drink. Look for the Meal Replacement shakes not the ones that will bulk you up. Save the calories and stuff you really don't need in the beginning when you are trying to lose weight. Read the product reviews. This helped me tremendously. Hope it does you too.

Crystal

Banded on 8/14/2008. Starving but so excited!!!!

Edited by yjgirl78

My personal favorite at the moment is the chocolate Slim Fast LOW CARB. I've only found it at Walgreens and Sam's Club but it has 20 grams of Protein only 2 grams of carbs, 190 calories plus other Vitamins & minerals you don't get from the other Protein supplements.

Sometimes if I want to "boost" the flavor I will mix it with a tablespoon of Nestle Low Carb hot chocolate mix. It only adds 25 calories an I think around 4 or 5 carbs. It mixes better if you stir it in a small amount of hot Water then add it to the Slimfast.

I've also found the colder any of these drinks are the better they taste.

Oh another strictly Protein drink I like is the glass bottles of Isopure.

Some of the flavors are not too great but the Grape Frost mixed with a bit of Crystal Light tastes good. A full bottle has 40g of Protein and 9 carbs. I think it has around 160 calories but not sure.

NOTE: I'm not a doctor or nutritionist but I've heard the body might not be able to properly absorb as much as 40g of protein in a short time so I try to split the drink up into two servings. I don't think there is a problem drinking it all at once, just some of it my go through without getting used.