Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So discouraged.... :(

Just had to share this with other people who may understand.

Right after my surgery, I lost 32 lbs in 3 weeks! Then, I started exercising on week four. I was working hard at the gym- doing between 1 to 1.5 hours per day (cardio + strength training) 4 or 5 days a week. During those 3 weeks of exercise and hard work, I never lost another pound.

Then, right at week 6 I had my first fill. I was hoping and praying that it helped. That was almost two weeks ago, and I have been just as hungry since that first fill as I was before the surgery. And much to my disappointment, I am able to eat just as much food as I did before surgery. :teeth_smile:

So now I am struggling, I am eating way more than I should and haven't exercised since the fill. I keep hearing that voice in the back of my head saying "you were exercising and doing all that work, and what did it get you? Nothing."

I am upset that I am able to eat so much food at a meal, and more upset at myself that I am actually eating that much food.

Just very discouraged, disappointed, and wondering if this is really going to work for me. :rolleyes:

Just remember....not all accomplishments are on the scale. You should be VERY proud of the exercise. You're body is just adjusting to the changes and after a while if you keep it up you will start seeing inches (not pounds) coming down and clothes fitting better. The pounds will come. I have heard that sometimes you need 2 or 3 fills before you feel restriction. I know that I am in "bandster hell" right now because I have not had my first fill yet and my appetite is coming back. All of this is normal from what I heard. I am trying my best to NOT eat as much as I did before because I am afraid of stretching my pouch. I find drinking more Protein drinks and lots of Water help with my appetite.

Call for another fill and keep chugging along.

I know how frustrated you are. I haven't been banded yet, but your struggles are what I've been going through these past years. Your initial weight loss is expected from what I hear, but the fact that your going to the gym, and working as hard as your are is helping in a lot more ways than weight loss.

But on the other hand...whats probably happening is when you work out with cardio and weights, your body is building muscle and burning fat. I bet if you take your measurements, you will see a reduction in inches. The one thing you have to remember, is you have to fuel your body properly with the 40-30-30% of carbs to fats to Protein every meal 4 times a day. If you dont fuel your body your body will store and you will not lose. You will also hit plateaus and will need to change up your routine every 4-6 weeks. Also check with you DR. you may need more restriction. Hope this helps

Shauna

What you are experiencing is very normal. It usually takes a few fills to get good restriction. My 1st fill didn't do anything but the 2nd helped a little more. The 3rd fill really helped. I didn't need another fill for 5 months. It is hard when you don't have restriction. It will happen.

I work out with a personal trainer twice a week and some weeks I don't lose any weight. Be patient. After a big loss like that your body is probably just leveling off. I bet you are losing inches.

Good luck!

It took me a year to lose any weight and get any restriction from fills. I ended up having other issues, but I have a friend who also went a year before she got a good fill and lost weight. It takes time to get it just right. It is not an instant fix.

You've only been banded for eight weeks and you have lost 32 lbs. I would say that is pretty outstanding.

Have you thought that the exercise you have been doing is converting fat to muscle, Muscle weighs more and can slow weight loss but still contributes to a healthier you. Have you lost inches?

For the moment, forget the scale, eat healthy, measure what you eat so that you don't overeat, snack on veggies, there are lots of delicious fresh veggies out there and if you can eat them, enjoy. They will fill you up quickly. Drink plenty of Water, you need at least 64 ounces a day. You will feel better and have more energy.

It sometimes takes 4-6 fills to reach the proper restriction. Remember that the band is a tool and you have to do a great deal of the work, the band just makes it easier. Don't beat yourself up when you think you have failed, just try again the next meal. You can do this! The weeks between surgery and good restriction are frustrating but they are just the beginning of a whole new life,

Get back out there and exercise. It is not only good for you, it gets your mind off food.

Hang in there, we've all been where you are and understand your frustration.

It's impossible to continue to lose at the rate of over 10 pounds a week, it just doesn't happen. And without more fill in your band your hunger will be almost the same as prebanding, so lighten up on yourself.

If you were not exercising before getting your band, then suddenly starting at a rate of 1.5 hours might just be too much for your body to continue. Start off slower and gradually add time to your work out. It's easier to sustain that way.

Try to stick to high Protein foods, even if you are overeating, because it helps to burn more fat and fat takes up inches on your body but fat doesn't weigh much.

You're still new and learning all these things, give yourself some time and some more fill and you'll be fine.

The same thing happened to me. I lost a lot of weight quickly after my surgery but it stopped for about 3 weeks then all of a sudden, I started losing again. I have lost 110 pounds in 8 months.

I was also able to eat a lot until my third fill, then all of a sudden, I could barely eat anything and I still can't. It takes time. You will get there soon.

Great job on your loss so far, you are doing great. Be proud of yourself.

I'm gonna be no help but i understand. I started out a 256 and lost down to 241 by surgery date of april 30 2008. In one week i lost down to 230 and by the middle of june down to 217. It is now august 3 almost 2 months later and i have not lost a thing...i actually am bouncing back and forth between 217 and 223. I'm really frustrated. I feel like i have failed but i know i haven't. I'm really depressed and don't know why. I mean i've lost around 40 pounds in 3 months...it takes some a year to lose that much. But i wonder why i haven't lost anything. I'm doing things just the way i did at the beginning of this....

Hey there. I'm sorry to hear you're so frustrated. I can completely relate...only when I became more frustrated, I started working out longer and harder, but STILL didn't lose the weight I expected. Let me recommend something you may already have tried---your surgeon and a dietician. I expressed my sincere frustration at about 12 weeks out to my Physician's Assistant. Coincidentally, my dietician was in the office and available to speak with me. She actually told me to eat more and exercise less. My surgeon, who had absolutely NO personality, truly came alive when I expressed my frustration to him. I never expected him to be a source of support when I really needed it because of our previous exchanges.

I maintained meticulous records of my eating and exercising, including measurements. I was losing inches, but not pounds and was unbelievably frustrated. While I am sorry that I can't give you a panacea to make this all happen for you, I will assure you that if you stick to the program, continue working out regularly and eat properly, you will lose weight. For some of us it simply takes longer. I am about 8 months out now and have lost between 55 and 60 pounds. I realize that it doesn't seem like much, but when compared to my life last year at this time, it's simply immeasurable. My life is once again my own for the first time in 20 years. I live without worrying about how I'll get up in the morning and get my day started. I actually truly enjoy working out and feel off balance when I miss a day. Last summer I worried about how I'd get to work every day and what I would wear because stores did not carry anything larger than a 26/28. You didn't gain the weight overnight, and you won't lose it overnight, no matter how much you want to!

The Lap band is a tool, but you have to work with it, not against it. Prepare yourself to be successful by eating properly and making time to workout. You've made the decision to have surgery, don't give up on yourself now!!! You CAN do this. You will need to make a commitment to yourself and you will need to work at this. Make one change a week--start with controlling the things you CAN control--drink the Water you need. Be sure to measure your food. Next week, focus on getting in at least 3-4 workouts a week. Don't make changes that you can't sustain. (IE working out for over an hour a day....that isn't something you'll look forward to or want to maintain down the road...) Make small goals to create your own successes.

You deserve to have the life of a healthy person. Make the time to get there. I wish you the best. Don't give up yet.....you can do this. Use the resources provided to you (dietician, surgeon, support groups, etc.) and ask for help from those of us who have been there. This site can be a huge support, too. Good luck! Keep us posted on your success--not all successes will be measured by the scale! Be well. :biggrin:

hi, I am seriously considering lap band surgery, but aliitle bit fearful of the surgery part. They say it is really safe, but still have fears. Especially about going out of the US. I have researched Dr. Ortiz and I think he has a very good reputation with other lap band patients. Has anyone out there had their surgery done by this Dr?

Thanks for all the support everyone. You guys are great. :thumbup:

I made it back to the gym today for the first time in 2 weeks. I have been doing horrible and was expecting at least a 2 lb gain.

Much to my surprise the scale said I had lost 3 lbs! Finally! Just seeing the scale move, really helped to re-motivate me. I've been having a great day in regards to exercise and eating now, after seeing my new number this morning.

I've been having a great day in regards to exercise and eating now, after seeing my new number this morning.

I know it's nearly impossible, but try not to let your scale dictate how you feel about your day. This was a really important lesson I learned through Weight Watchers a few years ago----also, do not weigh yourself daily or even every other day. Follow your plan, exercise, and eat right. Weigh yourself once a week, at the same time each time. The rest will come! :thumbup:

Keep your chin up. Bandster hell for most of us goes until the second fill since the majority don't feel much restriction after the first.

I have had really wonderful loss collectively over the past six months, but I can tell you I was losing next to nothing from about 5 weeks out until about 3 months out when my second fill kicked everything into gear. I was also exercising heavily during the time I wasn't really losing. However, I feel really certain that at least 1/3 of my ongoing loss has been from exercising, building muscle and raising my fitness level in general.

If you keep doing the right things, the weight comes off without a doubt. The only way it doesn't work is if you give up on it a little too easy. If I had any advice to give it would be to keep up with the exercise and make your next fill appointment as soon as possible.

I am so happy for you that the scale began moving again! The plateaus are surely no fun.. Just try to stick it out when those come and eventually you will prevail :thumbup: