Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Any September Banders?

Ernie,

I am glad that you are doing well.

Hi All,

I am kind of bummed, I may not get the surgery on the 16th, there are some insurance requirements for paperwork that have to be met that we did not anticipate. That is all complicated with the fact that we moved from Mesa to Vail in February. So what I started in Mesa had to be re-started here in Vail with the Tucson choices. That meant yet one more required lecture for which I am grateful but none the less had to repeat before I could see Dr. Burpee. Dr. Burpee's lecture really tied up loose ends for me emotionally and mentally so I don't regret that at all. But dang! I am ready to get this done and with the move to Vail I have to kind of back track, it is a bummer! If a person has been fat all their life how come this program can't be easier? It is a life saver compared to the fat issues.

Sorry, just had to vent! It will all work out, I know that but it is a bump in the road and I want it to be smooth sailing to the surgery and the road to recovery :-)

Laura Porter

Edited by NanaLaura
additions

Hi all!

I was banded on the 8th!!! Yippee!!! I am now a BandSTAR!!!:omg_smile:

I did really well! I stayed overnight at the hospital and wasn't d/c until 4pm.

I am really sore and it's tight when I breathe. I think this is probably from the hernia repair. The Dr said it was larger then he thought.

I'm not very hungry and it's all I can do to get fluids in!

Take care and good luck everyone!!!

Teresa - BandSTAR

Congratulations!...My big day is Sept. 15......Go to BariacticEating.com...........order those shakes.....they are so yummy.....and like 41g of protien. Hope you feel better fast!:omg_smile:

Joy

Hi there - which shakes on BariatricEating.com are you referring to? I am always looking for a great tasting Protein Shake. Thanks!

Mine is 09/24. My doctor requires the low carb to shrink my liver. It's pretty hard to stay on it but he will cancel the surgery if the liver is too hard to retract so I guess I have to stick with it...

I guess the lack of sugar and carbs shrinks the liver safely.

Hi Everybody!!! Well... I'm in Houston. I had my pre-op appt. today and got to meet my doctor for the first time - I LOVE HIM (thank goodness). He is the perfect doctor for me. Mom and I are having fun, BUT... now there is a tiny problem... Hurricane Ike is coming to Houston too. I am from the desert in New Mexico and needless to say I have NO hurricane experience. My surgery is scheduled for Friday morning and Ike is supposed to hit late Friday or early Saturday - YIKES!! I worried about my liver being too fatty, I worried about not losing enough weght on the pre-op diet, but I didn't worry about a hurricane. Of course I am worried about the things people worry about when a disaster is headed your way - the people, their homes, and our safety..... but... I want my band. They can proceed with the surgery if it's VERY windy or if it is raining HARD... but I think if power goes out.... I am keeping my positive attitude and just want you all to send "power on" thoughts this way. I am so excited to see all of my September friends being banded... keep smiling those that have your band, good luck to those getting ready to get your band, and thank you all for your support and encouragement. I LOVE THIS SITE!!! Becky

Hi everyone! Im just 5 days from being banded! I cant wait! For those that have already had the surgery, what should I expect when they roll me in? How many people are in the room? I actually have 2 weird questions... Did anyone have a person in the room take pics of the surgery? And also, were you only in a hospital gown, or did you get to leave your undies and bra on? Im just curious! Thanks! And good luck and congrats to you all!

Hi Everybody!!! Well... I'm in Houston. I had my pre-op appt. today and got to meet my doctor for the first time - I LOVE HIM (thank goodness). He is the perfect doctor for me. Mom and I are having fun, BUT... now there is a tiny problem... Hurricane Ike is coming to Houston too. I am from the desert in New Mexico and needless to say I have NO hurricane experience. My surgery is scheduled for Friday morning and Ike is supposed to hit late Friday or early Saturday - YIKES!! I worried about my liver being too fatty, I worried about not losing enough weght on the pre-op diet, but I didn't worry about a hurricane. Of course I am worried about the things people worry about when a disaster is headed your way - the people, their homes, and our safety..... but... I want my band. They can proceed with the surgery if it's VERY windy or if it is raining HARD... but I think if power goes out.... I am keeping my positive attitude and just want you all to send "power on" thoughts this way. I am so excited to see all of my September friends being banded... keep smiling those that have your band, good luck to those getting ready to get your band, and thank you all for your support and encouragement. I LOVE THIS SITE!!! Becky

Hi Becky!

i haven't forgotton!!:) you get banded tomorrow!!

I'm sure you are so excited! are you feeling well prepared and how did your pre-op go?? I'm glad your mum will be with you to help you recover:thumbup:

I still have 12 days to operation although i fly out to Belgium in 10 days!

I will be thinking of you tomorrow and will say a prayer that everything goes smoothly- as i'm sure it will!

take care and godbless!

~ angie xx:tongue:

Hey! I just had mine done on the 5th. Besides feeling full of gas and being hungry already, I guess I'm fine. How about you?

Oh my goodness I had my surgery on on Sept. 8th. I am taking my nausea and pain medicine so thats helping me but those hunger pains are aweful. I've been eating lot of oatmeal because it goes down smooth and taste is okay. I wonder how long it wil take for the hunger pains to go away because I feel so full at the same time. WOW!

Hi all!

I was banded on the 8th!!! Yippee!!! I am now a BandSTAR!!!:)

I did really well! I stayed overnight at the hospital and wasn't d/c until 4pm.

I am really sore and it's tight when I breathe. I think this is probably from the hernia repair. The Dr said it was larger then he thought.

I'm not very hungry and it's all I can do to get fluids in!

Take care and good luck everyone!!!

Teresa - BandSTAR

Hey Congrats we were banded on the same day. I did not stay all night but probably because I did not have a hernia. Everything went well the only weird thing that happened was when I was waking up in recovery I heard the nurses saying that my paper work had Gastric on it but he though I had Lapband and they said yes she had lapband so he said he would change it on my sheet. Now I am wondering if I got the right thing. I will call the doctors office today and verify that information and request that I get a x-ray when I come for my check up on the 23rd. I do think I got the right thing becuase I think my symtoms would be different if I had the other but I just want to be safe.

On the other hand I am okay with the gas, nausea, and pain because I have medicine and I am taking what they told me to take but, those hunger pains are horrific! I feel full but yet I still have hunger pains.

Tomorrow's the big day - - - I get my band!!! I am just now getting a little bit nervous. I hope my liver has shrunk enough. By my scales at home, I have lost about 11 lbs. on the prediet. Wish me luck. I'll post again after surgery.

Hi Keleka, I'm new here and I'm being banded on September 15. :) I am really excited too and can't wait to start my new life.

Hi All!

Just got my insurance approval! My Drs. office called and set up September 8 for my LapBand! I can't wait!:sad:

Maybe we could share our journey together!

Hi everyone! Im just 5 days from being banded! I cant wait! For those that have already had the surgery, what should I expect when they roll me in? How many people are in the room? I actually have 2 weird questions... Did anyone have a person in the room take pics of the surgery? And also, were you only in a hospital gown, or did you get to leave your undies and bra on? Im just curious! Thanks! And good luck and congrats to you all!

Hi Kiwee, I was banded on Sept. 5th. You will most likely only have on a hospital gown. It's no big deal because the gowns are very big. I felt like I had an entire sheet wrapped around me. I know they won't let you leave your bra on because one of the incisions for the laparoscope is just under the bra line. And the heart monitors are placed on the chest, too.

I don't know if there was anyone taking pictures or if the operation was video taped. I was awake for only about 1 or 2 minutes while in the operating room. One thing that did impress me was the efficiency and professionalism of everyone in the operating room. After I slid on to the table they said 'Here is the mask.' I nodded 'O.K.'. The mask was big so it wasn't like it was pressed hard against my face. I remember breathing normally 3 times and then it was over for me. The nurses were saying 'You're all done.' :)

Good luck, dear. I know how excited you are!

Hey Congrats we were banded on the same day. I did not stay all night but probably because I did not have a hernia. Everything went well the only weird thing that happened was when I was waking up in recovery I heard the nurses saying that my paper work had Gastric on it but he though I had Lapband and they said yes she had lapband so he said he would change it on my sheet. Now I am wondering if I got the right thing. I will call the doctors office today and verify that information and request that I get a x-ray when I come for my check up on the 23rd. I do think I got the right thing becuase I think my symtoms would be different if I had the other but I just want to be safe.

On the other hand I am okay with the gas, nausea, and pain because I have medicine and I am taking what they told me to take but, those hunger pains are horrific! I feel full but yet I still have hunger pains.

Oh My!

Waking up to the nurses wondering what I had would give me a start!:sad: They did my xray at the hospital, so I got to watch the contrast go down! I got to see my port too! Pretty cool!

I still haven't been very hungry though.

Good luck and take care!!!!:)

Teresa

Hi Kiwee,

You will need to take everything off. They gave me a really big gown to put on. While waiting, they started my IV, and took some blood. I talked to my Dr, and the anesthiesiologist. They gave me what they call a "cocktail" and then the next thing I remember was waking up in recovery. I don't remember the OR at all.

Also, don't think they took any pics. wouldn't care anyway if it helps others! I'm not very modest!!! LOL:lol:

Good Luck!!!

Teresa

I am sooooooooo glad I could help you, as this site has helped me a lot.....her book is my Nut's bible.."Before & After", by Susan Maria Leach....she journals her RNY (eventho we are getting banded, it still applies) from days before until success! Then she has 130+ good recipes for post op thru regular life.....the recipes are on her site too. The book is cheap, paperback and everywhere! I'm reading it AGAIN this weekend as my surg. is Mon! :) In the Blendable protiens, the whey Gourmet Cookies N Cream is awesome. I got 6 bottles of the DaVince flavor syrups, and the Isopure clear....you CANNOT tase it.....I Promise. In the RTD , I love the bannana Lambada and canned Extreme vanilla. I am adicted to that site! My Doc says Centrum chewables silver Vitamins are good enough but I got the sample box of hers. He said we do not need all that as we are NOT RNY and still absorb some nutrients!..But I'm sure going to take what I bought. The puddings and stuff I will buy at grocery this week-end. GO GET THAT BOOK....it is sooooo POSITIVE!

Best wishes for a speedy recovery! :sad: Joy