Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Has your hair gotten thinner after being banded?  

2 members have voted

1. 1. Has your hair gotten thinner after being banded?

Every time I've lost a significant amount of weight, I've experienced hair loss. It comes out mostly during the Shampoo, a lot more than usual and I find my hairs around me.

I increased Protein and added Biotin to shakes. And I changed my hair and bath products in case it was allergy-related. My scalp itched a lot during this last experience.

The loss has stopped and I'm fine now.

I was told it's actually pretty typical for some of us due to caloric and Protein restictions.

My surgery was May 12th, so I'm almost 4 months out. I've recently started noticing more hair than usual coming out in the shower. I also have really thick, long hair...my aunt is a nurse, and I mentioned it to her. She told me to make sure that I'm taking my Vitamins and supplements every day and didn't mention Protein at all. So, I don't know if I'm losing more hair now because of not enough protein or not enough vitamins and minerals...I'm going to up my dose of Biotin also (already take 1000 mcg). I don't know about the rest of you, but I keep thinking "why is my hair falling out now? I never used to eat 60 grams of protein a day or take my Vitamin every day before the surgery."

Noticeable hair loss is a common side-effect of genereal anesthesia and generally peaks between 4 to 6 months out. I experienced it with my tonsillectomy 25 years ago and every other surgery since. (My hair is very long, so when it starts coming out in gobs you can't NOT notice it!)

I had my band placed in August 2007 and had to have my port revised in March of this year. I noticed a couple of days ago that I'm having trouble hiding my pins under the bun because I've lost a lot during both surgeries. BUT, I'm also needing more hairspray because there are so many little new hairs poking up everywhere!! So eventually it'll be okay.

Check out:

AgingSkinNet Article - What Causes hair Loss?

Stress and Hormones

• Physical stress. Significant Hair loss can occur after a major surgery...

• Hormones fluctuate. A dramatic change in hormone levels can cause hair loss – especially in women. Hair loss is common during menopause ...usually temporary and hair re-growth occurs with time...

Diet

• Weight loss. Even people losing weight in a physician-monitored program can experience some hair loss 3 to 6 months after losing more than 15 pounds. This hair loss is common, and Hair growth does return to normal.

• Vitamin A excess. Getting too much Vitamin A through Vitamin supplements or medications can lead to hair loss. Once the body no longer has an excess of Vitamin A, normal hair growth resumes.

• Protein intake too low. When the body does not get enough Protein, it conserves the protein it does get by shifting hair growth into the resting phase. Within 2 to 3 months, the person usually sees visible hair loss. This can be reversed and prevented by eating enough protein. meats, eggs, and fish are good sources. Vegetarians can increase their protein intake by adding nuts, seeds, and Beans to their diet.

• Iron intake too low. Consuming too little Iron can lead to hair loss. Good vegetarian sources of iron are iron-fortified cereals, soybeans, pumpkin seeds, white Beans, lentils, and spinach. Clams, oysters, and organ meats top the list of good animal sources of iron.

• Eating disorder. An eating disorder such as anorexia or bulimia can lead to hair loss.

Medication

Prescription medications that can cause hair loss include:

• Blood thinners
  • High-dose vitamin A
  • Medicines that treat arthritis, depression, gout, heart problems, and high blood pressure
  • Birth control pills. Some women taking or discontinuing birth control pills experience hair loss. This usually occurs in women with an inherited tendency toward hair thinning.

Hair Care Practices

• Hair cosmetics. Frequent bleaching or permanents can cause the hair to break. Regular or improper use of dyes, gels, relaxers, and sprays also can cause hair breakage. Dermatologists recommend limiting use of these hair cosmetics to reduce hair breakage.

• Blow dryers, flat irons, and similar devices. Frequent use of a blow dryer tends to damage hair. The high heat from a blow dryer can boil the Water in the hair shaft leaving the hair brittle and prone to breakage. Allowing the hair to air dry and styling it only when dry will lessen this risk. Dermatologists also recommend limiting the use of flat irons, which straighten hair by using high heat, and other devices such as curling irons.

• Hairpins, clips, and rubber bands. When used to hold hair tightly, hairpins, clips, and rubber bands can break hair. When selecting hairpins, dermatologists recommend choosing one with a smooth, ball-tipped surface. Hair clips should have spongy rubber padding where they make contact with the hair. To minimize hair breakage, use loosely fitting clips and wear them in different areas of the scalp so that hair breakage is not localized in a specific area. Rather than using rubber bands for ponytails, try fabric scrunchies, which loosely hold the hair.

• Certain hairstyles. Years of wearing hair in a style that pulls on the hair such as a ponytail, cornrows, or braids can cause a type of hair loss known as traction alopecia.

• Too much or vigorous grooming. Too much shampooing, combing, or brushing (100 strokes or more a day) or doing any of these too vigorously can cause hair breakage. When hair breakage occurs, the hair appears shaggy or too thin. Dermatologists also caution against vigorously rubbing wet hair with a towel to dry it or combing wet hair. These also can cause hair breakage because wet hair is more elastic and more vulnerable to breakage than dry hair.

Dermatologists Can Get to the Root of Hair Loss

With so many causes, it can take a bit of detective work to uncover the reason for hair loss. Sometimes, more than one cause is responsible. And as we age, one cause may follow another.

To diagnose the cause of hair loss, a dermatologist usually begins by obtaining a detailed medical history. The patient is asked about medications taken, allergies, family history, and diet. Women are asked about their menstruation, pregnancy, and menopause. The dermatologist also performs a detailed inspection of the hair and scalp and looks at the way the hair is distributed over the rest of the body. While examining the hair and scalp, the dermatologist will examine the pattern of hair loss and look for signs of illness, including any indication of a scalp infection. Sometimes a hair pull, blood test, or scalp biopsy is necessary to make the diagnosis.

Once the cause (or causes) is known, treatment or preventive measures can begin. It is important to realize that when it comes to hair loss, there is no quick fix. But dermatologists do have the knowledge and resources to halt hair loss and generate new growth for many patients.

hello banders! Thank you for all the useful info. I was banded about 4 1/2 months ago and I've been freaking out because my hair is falling out left and right. I'm going to get some Biotin today and start watching my Protein intake again. Its nice to to know that there is a solution.

:-)

Do they make chewable or liquid Biotin?

I don't know if they make liquid Biotin but the pills aren't very big. The ones I take are about the size of a Bufferin. You can look at GNC.com. I know I got Omega 3 chews since they are so big so they may have biotin liquid or chews too.

I actually got my biotin from Walmart. I'm taking 2000 mcg a day and wash and condition my hair every other day with the Jason's biotin Shampoo and condition from GNC.< /p>

The Hair loss has slowed way down and I'm starting to see new little hairs.

Good luck! :thumbdown:

Thanks! I am going to pick some Biotin up at Walmart. Are you breaking the pills or taking them whole? Is anyone drinking any Protein Shakes to see it helps? I don't really like them, but I started drinking them today hoping it would help. I had my surgery in May and I just strated noticing it a week or so ago. It really sucks!

I take them whole.

I drink a Protein shake every day and have been since 2 weeks after my surgery. I use the GNC whey Isolate 28 chocolate. I started out with vanilla but like the chocolate a whole lot better. They are not my favorite but I definitely wouldn't get enough Protein in without them.

As it is I found out today that I am anemic and my Vitamin D levels are low. They did blood work due to being 6 months out so I'm going to have to figure out how to fix those problems.

Anyhow, I started noticing hair problems at about 4 months and I'm now seeing new growth, so it shouldn't take to long to fix your problem.

Good luck!

I get Biotin in lozenge form from my local health food store. We don't have any of the big-name stores in town (closest is an hour away). I end up chewing them up! Anyway, they are out there in different forms, may just have to look for it.

Oh and I'm almost 8 weeks out from surgery and have noticed an increase in the amount of hair coming out. I started losing weight in March for my insurance classes and am at 40lbs total lost now, so the hair coming out now makes some sense after reading the article above. What's going to happen in a few months scars me if it's already coming out quite a bit now!! :w00t: