Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Has your hair gotten thinner after being banded?  

2 members have voted

1. 1. Has your hair gotten thinner after being banded?

Hi there-

I was just wondering if anyone else's hair was getting thinner. I got banded in Oct 2007. I've been thinking my hair was getting thinner the past couple of months. Well today I was looking at some photo's from 2 Christmas's ago and well I'm right. My rear isn't the only thing that has gotten thinner and it's freaking me out!! :) My hair wasn't very thick to begin with and I'm able to see scalp around my bang area.

Would prenatal Vitamins help maybe? I don't know. I even checked out a Rogaine sight online the other day. Just wondering if anyone else is going through this and if anyone has any suggestions.

Thanks!!

Also....Can anyone tell me where I paste the tickerfactory info to get my weight loss ticker back? It's been so long I don't remember:unsure:

I had the same problem. My hair was coming out by the handfulls. :thumbdown: That's the first sign that your not getting enough Protein. They told me to get at least 60 grams of protein a day. Since I started paying attention to how much protein I get a day I've noticed my hair is not falling out as much. It gets better every day. :rolleyes:

I was band Oct 30, 2007. I went through the thinning hair phase also.

I was told to get at least 64 grams of Protein again. I've not found that I need 70-90 grams of protein.

The surgery co-ordinator told me to get some Biotin. You can get that from Wal-Mart or Wal-green and take one day. In 30 days I could see my hair thicking. You will be able to take a difference. Biotin really work. I got the 1000 mg but I think it comes in a higher mg.

Congrats on your weight loss and I wish you much success. You hair will grow back it won't be thin for long.

I just called my husband who happens to be at Walmart to bring me home some Biotin. We'll see how it goes. I haven't been actually counted my protien in a long time so I guess I'll do that again. I'm still curious on everyone's experience with this.

Thanks!!

Take Care:redface:

I've also noticed my hair falling out.

I've upped my Protein, I'm taking 2000 mcg of Biotin daily and using a Biotin Shampoo and conditioner every other day.

Obviously I'm freaking out about it too! I am starting notice a difference in how much hair comes out while in the shower and I've been doing all 3 for about the last 2-3 weeks.

It is getting less and less every day.

Some people also say it is the shock of the surgery but yours was awhile ago so I would assume its from lack of Protein.< /p>

If you decide you want the shampoo, I got it at GNC.

Good luck!

This is good information!! My hair started thinning during my pre band diet. Now I am 4 weeks later and it is still falling out. My hair has always been very fine, so it getting thinner does not help. I knew it was something to do with the diet but did not know what it was.

Thanks for the info!!!

Thanks for the Biotin info. I'm gonna try that. Had my surgery May 7th. I've been losing quite a bit of hair. But, actually, I've always lost a lot of hair when shampooing and it always has seemed to make no difference (my hair has always been thick and coarse) but, I can tell that it has thinned some the past couple of months. My hairdresser also told me that Sallly's carries the generic version of Nioxin-it's called: Nutri Ox....they carry the Shampoo, conditioner, and treatment drops. She said the ingredients are exact to Nioxon. I plan to try it soon also.

I've got hair I could spare, but I prefer not to!! LOL

I'm 8 months out, and the Hair loss started about a month ago. Up until that time I thought I had escaped the hair loss thing. I read that many had that happen around 4 months out. I didn't, so I thought I would not have to deal with it. It's now coming out by the handfulls in the shower. I have to clear my brush and comb every other day! My hair has always been fine, but I had a lot of it. Now when I touch the back of my head, I just feel my skull. I can see my scalp at my bangs, and my hair is also dry and brittle. I've checked my Protein and I'm getting the required amount. No problem there, so I'm off to buy some Biotin. Thanks for the tip!!! I've just recently added coconut oil to my diet. I think this may help with the dryness. I've taken so much fat out of my diet, it's having a negative effect on my skin and hair. Even my nails are splitting.

Aubrie,

My nails were doing that too and they have cleared up with the upped Biotin. I originally started taking 300 mcg a day and the bottle said that was the RDA but apparently it wasn't enough.

Someone else on the site recommended a hair and nails Biotin from GNC. Its 3000 mcg. I had just bought a bottle of 1000 so once I am done with that (I've doubled my dose to 2000 a day) I'm going to get the one from GNC.< /p>

I think I should buy some stock in that store :biggrin:

If you can't swallow giant Multivitamins, you can always get it in liquid form. GNC used to have something called Liquid Ultra Mega, not sure if they sell it anymore but it's not on their website. It has probably been replaced by something else but my co-worker swore by it because her hair was falling out too. I would check GNC or a Vitamin Shoppe. Since WLS is so popular, I'm sure they're very aware about all the different types of products that will help you get your hair growing back. Once I get banded I know I'll be getting some too because my already falls out enough from PCOS. Good luck!

Has anyone tried Rogaine with sucess? i just ordered some online. I cant believe that at every turn something makes me feel paranoid and not completely happy with my appearance, first it was my weght now my hair is falling out I cant win.

I noticed today, that I have a lot of very tiny hairs growing back along my hairline, but the new hair is several shades lighter than my old hair. Has anyone had this happen? It also seems to be rather frizzy and curly. I'm not happy about that at all. I started the 3000 mcg Biotin this past weekend. I'll keep you posted on my regrowth.....